True Funny WW2 Experience

by JW83 16 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Jayne, I've got a scanner! If you want, I can do the scanning - just say the word!

• JW83
    JW83

Ta Stephanus! Actually, , I don't have the newspaper article in front of me - I copied notes from State Library. But TRUST ME - it's true!!

Jayne

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Can you get a copy made next time you're in Sydney? It'd be on micro-fiche or some other such form, wouldn't it?

• JW83
    JW83

Yep, sure - next time! It's on microfilm at State Library, some local/uni libraries may have, too. I'll check if Wollongong has it.

• JW83
    JW83

Actually, sorry to mislead you guys - I don't know whether it actually appeared in the newspaper, cos I got it from the censors, who may or may not have passed it for publication.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    I don't know whether it actually appeared in the newspaper, cos I got it from the censors, who may or may not have passed it for publication.

Huh?

"Please explain"!

• JW83
    JW83

Explanation: During WW2 newspaper copy was censored before it could be published. This story was brought to the censor's attention because it involved a banned organisation, JWs. So I got this story from newspaper copy which passed before the censors (in a letter between censors, I think) & I haven't checked whether it was actually printed or not. I got it from the actual government file on censorship WW2 re Jehovah's Witnesses (National Archives, Canberra). It would be an easy matter to check whether it was published or not, but that isn't really important except for the issue of access.

In other words, a journalist wrote this story & the censors checked it. Whether it made publication or not has no relevance to its authenticity.

Hope this helps!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit