Rotator Cuff Injury (???)

by Aude_Sapere 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Thanks for all the comments.

KLS: Treatment was for me a Cortisone shot that did nothing ,so it went to surgery which took 2 hours.

And after all the trauma you went thru with this, you went on to smash rocks with your elbow? Glutton for punishment?? Sorry you've had so much trouble with this.

KLS: Make sure you have the MRI and do seek medical treatment . I waited a year before doing anything which caused to tear to rot ( yuck ) which made the surgery more lenghtly and recovery longer.

OK You've convinced me here. I will 'Dare to have Wisdom' and learn from someone else's hard-earned, painful lessons. *Smooches*

Purps: If you can move your arms level with your shoulders and have strength you probably can heal on your own. but you cannot lift anything over the weight of a gallon of milk. or do lifting over your head. It takes a long time to heal, maybe even three months.
    A doc I work with tore his rotator cuff and got acpunture and said it worked.

I can move my arms level with my shoulders but am losing strength in that arm. I think I am losing circulation, too. The hand on my injured arm is colder than normal and colder than my other hand. I woke up with a numb arm this morning.

Good advise on the lifting.

Acupuncture. I've been interested in trying this for many years. This may be a good time to actually try it out. Thanks!

Evesapple: start icing, Ibuprofen (advil, motrin).

I use to work in a PT office we had many rotator cuff problems, some post surgery some no surgery....go for an MRI see what the doc reccommends and then go from there. Depending on the degree of the injury or pain either PT or surgery should work. Good Luck!

Thanks. I hadn't thought of icing the area. Advil is a good idea. I usually wait until there is too much pain. I will go take some now, grab an ice pack and go to lie down.

Carmel: Never had surgery, just lots of physical theropy and willing to endure low level pain for ever.

Hmmm. I can go for the Phys Therapy. Open to discussing surgery, if suggested by doctor. Not sure I'm wanting to live with low level pain in my arm forever. Sorry you are not able to get full relief.

Garybuss: I got the Cortisone shot and I could rise my arm a teeny bit. It took two years till I could reach up again. I never had surgery. My injury must have just been a strain type thing. It was worth remembering.

Two years?!!? And sounds like your arm was really, really messed up. 'worth remembering'? How could you possible forget???!! I hope you are better now.

I have not seen doctor yet thinking it would get better on it's own, but it's not. Today I decided to start babying it and wonder if I should immobilize it during the day.

I'm not even sure if Rotator Cuff trouble is what I have...

The pain is in the upper third of my right arm. Mostly on the outside. A little to the front and a little in back. The pain intensifies with lateral movement especially if there is weight or force (opening a door, pushing soap dispenser - side mounted).

The 'injury' occured when I was lying in bed and lifted my 17-lb cat over my head and plopped it at the foot of my bed. He was indignant and I'm in pain. I think he snickers when he sees me rubbing my arm...

Two weeks with no improvement is enough time to wait. I should will call an orthopod tomorrow.

-Aude.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Aude, it's been two weeks with no let up in pain....it's time to see the doctor.

Your pain when using it laterally sounds common to RC issues.

Bikerchic...you mentioned Chiros... but yours was for an "overuse" issue, not a tear or strain. Chiros and other alternative treatments are an ok alternative to try instead of surgery, but in any acute injury they can actually CAUSE more damage than they help. I go to a chiropracter myself....SSHH, don't tell anyone.... but it's more of a physical therepy situation. I have blown out my own C6 / C7 disk...so know what that's like.

This injury is a slow healing one due to the small amount of blood flow. Injuries just take a long time to heal. 3 months to 9 months, very, very typical. But Aude, you will more than likely (95%) be referred to physical therepy before any surgery. A minimum of 6 weeks probably, so it's not like you will have to face a decision to get surgery in the next week.

As I have mentioned before this IS NOT my area of practice. Just a Dr.'s feedback ok?

Classicist....pain meds are level 2 and 3 controlled substances (in the US & I believe Canada as well). The DEA constantly monitors doctors for abuses. So patients...be VOCAL about your pain and forceful in asking for pain meds if your doctor isn't giving you enough to dull the pain. This helps our butts with the DEA when/if they audit our patient records. As a rule you get started on a lower dose med or a Tylenol 3 product first. The abuses of a few hundred people abusing Oxycontin have caused us nightmares in writing scipts for pain meds of all class 2 and 3 meds.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    Bikerchic...you mentioned Chiros... but yours was for an "overuse" issue, not a tear or strain. Chiros and other alternative treatments are an ok alternative to try instead of surgery, but in any acute injury they can actually CAUSE more damage than they help. I go to a chiropractor myself....SSHH, don't tell anyone.... but it's more of a physical therepy situation. I have blown out my own C6 / C7 disk...so know what that's like.

ummm thanks much for the clarification EvilForce I am glad to hear that a Doctor actually goes to a Chiropractor! I see the best in both fields and wouldn't hesitate to go to a MD if I need to. From your assessment of her injury it sounds like she needs an MD, I'm glad you are here to give medical advise.

Most of my RC problems are also related to Carpel Tunnel syndrome, I've done everything I can to avoid surgery and right now I'm quiting my line of work to further avoid surgery. Now if I could stay away from the computer which aggravates my CT as well, sigh......anyway you are a welcome addition to the forum!

Kate

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere
    Classi: 600 mg at a time is a little too much, just take the extra strength (400mg) until you get to see the doctor. Of course, some doctors aren't so great when it comes to prescribing pain medication.

I understand both sides of this. But I'm usually the reluctant patient when it comes to taking pills. I think I will take advantage of this injury to get some Tylenol #3, though.

Bikerchic: For myself I would avoid the Medical Doctors and seek a chiropractor.

I have an appointment with my chiro next week. I will include her in the loop of treatment. I forget to see what she might can do for arms. Thanks for reminder.

EvilForce: Aude, it's been two weeks with no let up in pain....it's time to see the doctor.

Your pain when using it laterally sounds common to RC issues.

As I have mentioned before this IS NOT my area of practice. Just a Dr.'s feedback ok?

Thanks a Bunch for confirmation and validation. I fully understand this is outside the scope of your training and licensure but thank you for your direction.

Better to search out a Sports Medicine Clinic?? or General Orthopaedic Doctor?? Any preferences?

-Aude

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

either or is fine.... If it was my injury I would probably seek out a sports med doctor to start with since they tend to see more joint issues.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Aude:

Better to search out a Sports Medicine Clinic??

A couple of years ago I went to a sports medicine clinic for treatment on my carpel tunnel and it did wonders, probably what made it so I could continue working thus far. So I highly recomend that route, just thought I would give you feed back on my experience with it.

It sounds like you got all the bases covered and depending on what you are told is needed seek out the treatment that works best for you and mostly that you will stick with.

I hope you won't need surgery that's always for me the last resort, but not necessarily the best resort. I wish you the best and hope you get some relief from the pain soon.

Kate

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere
    From your assessment of her injury it sounds like she needs an MD, I'm glad you are here to give medical advise.

Me, too!! Thanks everyone for caring and sharing.

Bikerchic - you have a pm.

-Aude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit