Rotator Cuff Injury (???)

by Aude_Sapere 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Looks like Medical Advice Day @ JWD...

Does anyone know about Rotator Cuff Injuries?

Symptoms?

Treatment?

What kind of doctor should be seen and what evaluations / tests are indicated?

I have arm pain for two and a half weeks now and it's getting worse.

Thanks for assistance.

-Aude.

• kls
    kls

Had that surgery about a year ago. Have you had a MRI to see if this is what it is ?

Symptoms ,terrible pain especially trying to lay or sleep on the affected shoulder.

Treatment was for me a Cortisone shot that did nothing ,so it went to surgery which took 2 hours.

Recovery ,,,don't ask.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I had a . biking accident in the fall of last year. Avoiding hitting a car I fell off my bike and landed on my right palm, but what hurt was my inner shoulder, kinda in the front. After a few days I knew it was not something I would just get over or work out.

I got an MRI(I work for radiology group) and found out I had two partial tears in my right rotator cuff. I had to go to an orhopedic doctor to see what his recommendation was. He thought it could heal on its own. Gave me celebrex and some sleeping pills. It has fineally healed on its own.

The motion of turning the steering wheel on the car was very painful. I had to get my daughter to drive for me as my job is driving.

If you can move your arms level with your shoulders and have strength you probably can heal on your own. but you cannot lift anything over the weight of a gallon of milk. or do lifting over your head. It takes a long time to heal, maybe even three months.

The celebrex caused me to gain weight but relieved me of the pain.

A doc I work with tore his rotator cuff and got acpunture and said it worked.

I know it is painful and hope you get relief soon.

purps

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

start icing, Ibuprofen (advil, motrin) atleast 600 mg works, your doctor may prescribe more.

you may be able to avoid surgery if you opt for physical therapy first...your doctor can reccommend a good P.T. and write a prescription for it.

I use to work in a PT office we had many rotator cuff problems, some post surgery some no surgery....go for an MRI see what the doc reccommends and then go from there. Depending on the degree of the injury or pain either PT or surgery should work. Good Luck!

• Carmel
    Carmel

Five years since my RC diagnosis.. Never had surgery, just lots of physical theropy and willing to endure low level pain for ever. Some times it flares up and I go for the aleve, double dose, but in a few days it goes back to just annoying.

sorry, not much advice

carmel

• kls
    kls

Make sure you have the MRI and do seek medical treatment . I waited a year before doing anything which caused to tear to rot ( yuck ) which made the surgery more lenghtly and recovery longer.

I know the pain and it is no picnic.

Please do not wait.

• kls
    kls

Make sure you have the MRI and do seek medical treatment . I waited a year before doing anything which caused to tear to rot ( yuck ) which made the surgery more lenghtly and recovery longer.

I know the pain and it is no picnic.

Please do not wait.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I got the Cortisone shot and I could rise my arm a teeny bit. It took two years till I could reach up again. I never had surgery. My injury must have just been a strain type thing. It was worth remembering.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    Ibuprofen (advil, motrin) atleast 600 mg works

600 mg at a time is a little too much, just take the extra strength (400mg) until you get to see the doctor. Of course, some doctors aren't so great when it comes to prescribing pain medication.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

*OUCH*

For myself I would avoid the Medical Doctors and seek a chiropractor. Make sure he does an X-ray or MRI before treatment. MD's in my opinion are too surgery happy and any time you can avoid surgery you should. A good chiropractor will know when it's necessary and refer you to an MD if you need it.

I had RC problems that stemed from over use issues and was relieved greatly by a particular treatment the chrio did for RC injuries, that and rest in other words don't use the arm for a while. I know it sucks but it's the only way it will heal.

Good luck!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit