Any Day-Traders on Board?

by hillary_step 20 Replies latest jw friends

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

When Enron energy came out of bankruptcy, it's shares were about $.42 ea. It only took them about a week to be trading at $1.15. My broker is with a very conservative house and they wouldn't trade in it because it was too high risk for their tastes. GRRRR...i missed the boat on that one. At the moment, I'm tied up in some investment real estate, so I'm not too liquid at the moment.

Ern

• hillary_step
  • xjwms
    xjwms

Last year I was trading stock, last few months I day trade and swing trade...options

• amused
    amused

I don't daytrade. I've heard too many horror stories. Swing trading sounds interesting, though. Most of my current portfolio is long term. What is your software of choice? I recently ordered Metastock to give it a look. I use TC2005 but want to be able to backtest some ideas.

• Simon
    Simon

I've been playing with the Forex thing but haven't had much time to spend at it as I need. It just seems like shares 'speeded up'.

Still, I made money ... well, I would have if it wasn't just a trial account

• Outlawed
    Outlawed

I did but lost a lot of mony. I sold my last "put options" a few hours before the planes fly in the towers. If I not did that I was a rich man now (but not happy about the way I had it). Now I am a collector of antique firearms.

Robert

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Amused,

Thank you for your post.

I don't daytrade. I've heard too many horror stories. Swing trading sounds interesting, though. Most of my current portfolio is long term. What is your software of choice? I recently ordered Metastock to give it a look. I use TC2005 but want to be able to backtest some ideas.

Swing trading is much more controllable especially if you are a technical trader. I am a great believer in technical analysis.

As to day trading, I find that so many lose at it because they get greedy. A good friend of mine, VP at Paine Webber, always tells day traders : "Trade, make $200.00 - get out. Repeat until rich". I think that this is wise advise.

I use Tradestation also, but love AmiBroker's charts. I have Trading Solutions which I use for some formations.

Best regards - HS

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

A couple three years ago I was active in day trading and swing trading, via chart analyzes. I didn't do too bad considering the whole time everything was going down and I only went long.

It can be interesting in that it can magnify what normally is not too apparent within you: greed, extreme anger, fear, euphoria. It's not for the week at heart, and can be a great tool for inner growth....or it can just as easily mess you up....mentally and financially.

j

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

JamesThomas,

A couple three years ago I was active in day trading and swing trading, via chart analyzes. I didn't do too bad considering the whole time everything was going down and I only went long.

It can be interesting in that it can magnify what normally is not too apparent within you: greed, extreme anger, fear, euphoria. It's not for the week at heart, and can be a great tool for inner growth....or it can just as easily mess you up....mentally and financially.

So very true, on all counts.

HS

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

Hi HS (and hi all-long time no speak).

Prior to being relocated to Corporate Finance and then Investment Banking, I traded for clients (some private and some intstitutional)) which icluded some "day trading". I also day traded "PRO" for my own account in both stocks and options (puts and calls).

My favorite was to do a "straddle" in QQQ options before the Fed announced a rate change or in certain companies before announcing earnings.

My most exciting trades where when I took a position (either long or short) in the "Pre-market" and unloaded/covered in the regular market.

I am not on the trading desk anymore and in fact much of my work is in meetings or outside the office so I am not as connected to the market. I would not attempt it now (unless I get the urge to go back on the desk - which occasionally I do miss). I personally think that trading through "a broker" is a not connected enough to the market makers for my liking (at least where it comes to day trading). The quotes one get's through a broker are delayed (even "real time quotes - slightly) and they do not provide an aquarate real time market depth to get a fair idea of the market on a fractional basis.

But it sure is fun when you win isn't it ?!?!?!?!

My favorite thing was to day trade for clients as I always came out a winner in my commision regardless of how the trade went

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit