Which is worse - the Jehovah's Witness or the Mormons?

by inquirer 59 Replies latest jw friends

• bebu
    bebu

Rod P, thanks for all the informative details and insight. Very objective and excellent post!!

bebu

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Q,

I wasn't speaking to the churchgoer's themselves, as the original question was about the relgion itself. That is what I was addressing. There are many people in both religions that I'm sure are good, loving people. I was speaking about the organization. But my comments about both religions being abusive still stands. I know you are an LDS and feel it is the answer for you and that's entirely ok. If it's where you feel closer to God so be it. I have been privy to many LDS'ers both in good standing and those outside the church. My personal belief is they are virtually one in the same in their spiritual control. The overall church "management" if you will.

Witnesses and LDS people tend to see vast diffferences between their religions. I like to use the analogy that really the JW's and the LDS are huddled up around a campfire. The JW's on one side (east side) of the campfire, the LDS's on the other (west side). When the LDS's are staring over the fire and past the JW's shoulders into the night sky they see a whole bunch of stars and constellations. Since LDS's are sitting on the West side staring across the JW to the east they see the eastern sky's stars. Likewise the JW's are staring into the western sky. From their perspectives they think their views (the night sky) are VASTLY different from the beliefs (opposing night sky) of the other relgion. But in reality they are merely standing 4 feet apart w/ a fire dividing them, looking at the same stars from different perspectives. So while they have different dogmas based on the same historical events of each other, they really in the end are not that much different from one another.

• Rod P
    Rod P

EvilForce;

Try sitting across the kitchen table from your wife who you love, and who used to love you, and tell her your analogy about the campfire. I promise you, she would see this as a gulf that is separating you, rather than a campfire environment which, let's face it, you can never share in some kind of harmony or peace compromise. But I take your point!

"Either you are with me, or you are against me." That is Jehovah's position. There is no such thing as a middle ground! At least we do not have to be lukewarm. For if we were lukewarm, Jehovah would have to "spew you out of his mouth". (Do not sit on the fence, because then you get shot at by both sides. Oh hell, I might just as well say what I really believe, and the consequences be damned!") (LOL!)

The whole thing is disgustingly unfair, and just forget about reasonableness, compromise, and let's just try to get along with one another. In the mind of a JW, you have abandoned Jehovah, and you are virtually unforgivable in their eyes, unless you truly repent. Been there! Done that!

Rod P.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

that's part of my analogy.... they cannot see how close they really are....to them it seems like a chasm or an alternate reality. But just because that's their perseption doesn't mean it's the truth. Becuase each individual's perseptions are their truths.

• Rod P
    Rod P

Evil Force;

O.K. In that case, I have to agree with you!

Rod P.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Inquirer:
    How does Hebrew sound in an American accent?

EF:Excellent analogy.

Rod:Excellent post!
    Also an excellent adaptation of EF's analogy. After my 12th anniversary, yesterday (and well over a year separated), I feel strangely sad...

• Rod P
    Rod P

Little Toe!

Keep your chin up. It gets better over time. Still, after 30 years, I still feel the pain; just better able to handle it all. What helps is, you have not yet written your last chapter, and when you find the right person, everything works out for the better.

All the best!

Rod P.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Thanks, pal. Those words of wisdom are very much appreciated.
    It's all too easy to wallow in self-pity, instead of moving on with life.
    The divorce is likely later this year, which should afford a little closure.

Analogous to leaving cults, methinks...

• Rod P
    Rod P

Little Toe,

How does Hebrew sound in an American accent?

A man and his wife were having an argument about who should brew the coffee each morning.

The wife said, "You should do it, because you get up first, and then we don't have to wait as long to get our coffee."

Wife replies: "No, you should do it, and besides, it is in the Bible that the man should do the coffee."

Husband replies, "I can't believe that; show me!"

So she fetched the Bible, and opened the New Testament and showed him at the top of several pages that it indeed says: ".............HEBREWS"

Now you know how the Americans (and Canadians) say it.

Have a good day!

Rod P.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Rod except - this must be a fairly difficult question since most of you havent been LDS - I haven't been JW (and I'm so biased I'm lying on my side.) I guess one thing I'd like to know is what is living in a predominantly JW neighbourhood like in comparison to a mainly mormon one? Forget theology - what are the social consequences like?

I don't live in either so I can't comment:)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit