The selective hearing of the WTS

by ozziepost 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Ever noticed how the WTS seem to emphasise some Bible texts (out of context, of course!) but completely ignore or minimise others?

Take for example:

"Is there anyone sick among you? Let him call the older men of the congregation to him, and let them pray over him, greasing him with oil in the name of Jehovah. And the prayer of faith will make the indisposed one well, and Jehovah will raise him up. Also, if he has committed sins, it will be forgiven him." - James 5:14,15 (NWT)

Now the WTS limits its application of this to spiritually "anointing" with oil but that isn't what the text says, is it?

The WTS says the gifts of the spirit passed with the apostles but that still begs the question about the conduct of the elders.

Ask yourself, when was the last time (or any time!) when the elders visited you and praying they anointed you with oil? Well, have you ever heard of it? Yet that is what the apostle instructs. Strange that the WTS should overlook it!

Also note that this is fo include those who had "committed sins". Now when was the last time any judicial committee prayed over the "erring one" and greased his head with oil? Well??

So the WTS has selective hearing, eh?

Think of any more examples?

Ozzie

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman
    they anointed you with oil?

Ozzie, when they were practicing this, you and I would never have been JW's I think.

eee u w

• jgnat
    jgnat

JW's love to point out that the Memorial is the only seasonal activity that Jesus instituted. But it isn't the only one. Foot-washing ceremony. I've never seen a foot-washing ceremony. John 13:5-14

3 Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; 4 so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. 5 After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.

6 He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, ?Lord, are you going to wash my feet??

7 Jesus replied, ?You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.?

8 ?No,? said Peter, ?you shall never wash my feet.?

Jesus answered, ?Unless I wash you, you have no part with me.?

9 ?Then, Lord,? Simon Peter replied, ?not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!?

10 Jesus answered, ?A person who has had a bath needs only to wash his feet; his whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you.? 11 For he knew who was going to betray him, and that was why he said not every one was clean.

12 When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. ?Do you understand what I have done for you?? he asked them. 13 ?You call me ?Teacher? and ?Lord,? and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14 Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. 15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16 I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17 Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

Jgnat, I would never had thought on this.

17 Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.

Those pore elders, it never occurred to them they should have done that to the flock....

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Just imagine it, they'd have to have a procedure for which water was acceptable, the qualifications of the washers and then those who got their feet washed? well, they'd have to be in good standing! (no pun intended)

• Golf
    Golf

James 1:27,"...to look after orphans and widows in their tribulation and to keep one spot from the world." Looking after orphans and widows, Yeah right, and like not being a member of the UN to obtain library priviledges, this is not a spot from the world?

Golf

• Golf
    Golf

Ozzie, it should include 'selecetive practice' such as Hebrews 10:25, "...encouraging one another..." Is imposing quota's encouraging one another? When we greet one another in the KH, its more of a ritual than brotherly love.

Would you consider placing more publications and having more bible studies than other fellow witnesses 'encouraging' or a competition?

Golf

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Howdy, Ozzie!

I appreciate and agree with your conclusion about the WTS selective vision and hearing, but I think your example is not a good one for the point.

It seems to me the text you cite is informing of Christian men praying in behalf of a sick friend and also taking practical action to help alleviate suffering by application of oil/grease, which was a common medicinal remedy in antiquity.

I have observed as much in rural areas where experienced and trusted Christian men among JWs were called to the scenes of various sick individuals suffering from radiant burn, dangerous ingestion of hot pepper, and fever. In each case the substances applied contained some or a lot of oil and were given to help impede suffering. I'll never forget the terrible experience of a small child who had eaten raw hot pepper. The chemical burning started in and around the mouth and proceeded to include skin body-wide. The child was in terrible straits of suffering and the parents did not know what to do given there were no medical facilities available and the family was desperately poor. The parents did all they knew to do: they sent for two trusted overseers of their congregation. Both men took one look at the child and immediately took lard from the family's food stores, stripped the child naked and greased his entire body. They also prayed to calm the child and parents. Within about 15 minutes the childs suffering diminished because of the application of lard. Within an hour the child's skin color was back to normal and he was sleeping restfully on clean sheets (also provided by the overseers).

A more contemporary version of the same thing is when experienced and trusted Christian men offer practical help to aid in helping a literally sick person. The proverbial grease on the head might be something as common to us as recommending an application of ibuprofen by an experienced person in the face of inexperience. When this is done by trusted and experienced Christian men who also take the time to pray with a family or individual there is tremendous comfort brought to an individual's emotional and, hopefully, physical wellbeing.

Marvin Shilmer

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

People who are sick, either physically or spiritually, do not boost statistics or revenue, so it is not worth the elders' while to waste their valuable time on such ones.

Walter

• integ
    integ
    Think of any more examples?

The examples we could site would take up as much space as a collection of Encyclopedia Brittanicas.

Integ.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit