Jesus Completely Fullfilled the 70th Week

by Ianone 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

and on the temple shall be the abomination and desolations

That's much closer to the LXX wording, except bdelugma tón erémóseón is "abomination of (the) desolations", not "abomination and desolations".

It is ironic that Reckart says:

To make Jesus the antichrist is beyond honesty and integrity.

As it turns out, turning v. 27 into a reference to Jesus is doing just that...identifying the antichrist figure in Daniel with Jesus. Historically, Antiochus IV Epiphanes was the man who invaded Jerusalem, profaned the Temple and banned daily sacrifice and oblation, as well as placing the "abomination of desolation" on the altar (cf. 1 Maccabees 1:54). This was the name of a very specific and infamous object placed in the Temple. It had nothing to do with Jesus...who came almost two centuries after the abomination was removed from the Temple.

The person who "does away with daily sacrifice" is described in further detail in ch. 11...it is most definitely not Jesus, unless Jesus "obtains the kingdom by deceitful means" (11:21; LXX), or "exalts and magnifies himself against every god, and speaks great swelling words" (11:36; LXX). Does that really sound like Jesus to you? Because that's the guy who brought an end to sacrifice and oblation, according to Daniel. And just as in ch. 11, Daniel 9:26-27 refers to the cessation of sacrifice and oblation as occuring during a war: "and to the end he will be fought from war" (kai heós kairou sunteleias apo polemou poleméthésetai). Compare Daniel 11:31-33: "Forces from him will arise, desecrate the sanctuary fortress, and do away with the regular sacrifice. And they will set up the abomination of desolation. By smooth words he will turn to godlessness those who act wickedly toward the covenant, but the people who know their God will display strength and take action. Those who have insight among the people will give understanding to the many; yet they will fall by sword and by flame, by captivity and by plunder for many days". Yep, that's the Jesus I want to worship, a warrior wretch who blasphemes God, plunders and kills those who remain faithful to God. After all, this person must be Jesus since he is said to bring sacrifice to an end and because he desolates the Temple. Who else could it be?

Hmm, I wonder who puts and end to that desolation???

The word shmm means either "desolator" (referring to Antiochus) or "desolation" (referring to the abomination on the altar). In the case of the former, Daniel discusses the ignomious end to Antiochus in 11:45 ("He will come to his end with no one to help him") whereas the end to the abomination of desolation and the rededication of the Temple is described in 1 Maccabees 4:34-59.

• Ianone
    Ianone

depends how you translate it. If Jesus is the desolator of the abominable temple of Solomon (Father of Freemasonry) than it fits.

• Ianone
    Ianone

Did Jesus confirm the covenant? ?.for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins. Matthew 26:28 ?.how shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation? After it was confirmed to us by those who heard. Hebrew 2:3

If Jesus did not confirm a covenant in Daniel, you have to ask your what event were the prophets talking about, specifically Jeremiah who says that God will make a new covenant with the house of Israel?

Jer 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

Hbr 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than [that of] Abel.

To say that Jesus did not confirm any Covenant is to completely ignore scripture.

It is not that Jesus confirmed a covenant only for 7 years, but that It took 7 years to confirm.

27 AD, the 70th week begins as Jesus is annointed as the Most Holy in the Jordan River

30 ad, Jesus is crucified (cut off) exactly 3.5 years into His ministry, 3.5 years is exactly half of 7 years, (midst of the week)

33 ad, end of the 7 years, and Saul and the gentiles are brought into the GOspel Covenant

• myelaine
    myelaine

Leolaia,

we get a "personal" view of this person(who is not Jesus)

Dan.11:16...speaks of a "bad" guy standing in a "good" place, (the Glorious land, destruction is his power)

Dan 11:31...and forces shall be mustered by him, and they shall defile the sanctuary fortress; then they shall take away the daily sacrifices. and place there the abomination of desolation.....

Dan. 8:11....exaults himself as high as the prince of hosts (Jesus) UNTIL the daily sacrifices areTAKEN away

Dan. 12:11...And from the time that the daily sacrifice is taken away, and the abomination of desolation is set up, there shall be one thousand two hundred and ninety days.

Dan 8:23-25 we get a "world view" of this person (26) God will take away his dominion

I hope this makes sense, It is hard for me to put my thoughts on "paper" sometimes.

michelle

• myelaine
    myelaine

the covenant is made...with Gods people Dan. 11:6

broken...Dan 11:23

warning to those who side with him....and those who remain faithful to the covenant,,,,those who do wickedly against the covenant he shall corrupt with flattery; but the people who know their God shall be strong, and carry out great exploits

Dan 11:45...And he shall plant the tents of his palace between the seas and the glorious holy mountain; yet he shall come to his end, and no one will help him.

Who is this guy?............I would say, the "prince of Greece."

michelle

• myelaine
    myelaine

It is interesting that the parties involved in the covenant are listed. Who are we looking at here?

Dan 11:6.....And at the end of some years they shall join forces, for the daughter(the bride) of the king of the South(Jesus) shall go to the king of the North(satan/4th beast) to make an agreement(covenant) but she shall not retain the power of her authority, and neither he(KofN) nor his authority(antichrist/pr. of Greece) shall stand; but she(the harlot) shall be given up with those who brought her, and with him who begot her(KofN) and with him(false prophet) who strenghtened her in those times.

too "spiritual" for ya?

michelle

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Sirona:
    That's his style. He keeps on plugging away, with little or no evidence, until those who "dare" debate with him get bored

Michelle:
    Maybe you could address it to Ianone, as I suspect Leo has little desire to debate the "prophetic" merits of a book that was likely written in the middle of the 2nd Century BC.
    Of course I could be wrong, as she may just desire to augment her features by forming calouses on her forehead...

~thud~
    ~thud~
    ~thud~

• myelaine
    myelaine

ok Littletoe, I won't bother your friend Leo.

michelle

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

myelaine...Chapter 11 of Daniel gives a sweeping view of history from the time of Alexander the Great until the reign of Antiochus IV Epiphanes. In v. 5, the king of the south is Ptolemy I Soter who gained Egypt after Alexander's death and the prince that prevails over him is Seleucus I Nicator, who establishes the Seleucid empire with greater territory than the realm of Ptolemy. The alliance referred to in Daniel 11:6 is the wedding between Antiochus II Theos, grandson of Seleucus, and Berenice, daughter of Ptolemy II Philadelphia, which occurred around 250 BC: "At the end of some years they will form an alliance, and the daughter of the king of the south will come to the king of the north to carry out the agreement. She will not retain strength and his offspring will not endure". Berenice was abandoned by her husband who went back to his first wife, Laodice, and shortly after Antiochus II was murdered along with Berenice and the child parented by Antiochus II and Berenice. In v. 7, we read that "a shoot will arise from her roots in his place, and he will come to the army and enter the stronghold of the king of the north and prevail". As we know from history, this "shoot" was Ptolemy III Euergetes, brother of Berenice, who ascended to the throne of Egypt and conducted a successful war against Seleucus II Callinicus, the son and heir of Laodice.

The entire chapter gives a blow-by-blow account of Ptolmaic and Seleucid history, all the way down until 164 BC.

• myelaine
    myelaine

Leolaia,

Chapter 11 of Daniel gives a sweeping view of history. I agree, however it seems to also pinpoint the beginning and the end of seventieth week specifically. if not then Dan 12:9 has no value. imo

michelle

p.s. Littletoe said.....and I said....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit