Blood- would you/have you given/taken it?

by Crumpet 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

I would take blood, but I would probably pass out (IVs are bad enought). I wouldn't give as I would pass out. I don't do too well w/blood tests as it is. I haven't actually passed out b/c of that yet, but I do get dizzy and things start to go black (which isn't fun).

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl
    There are so many conditions that could be introduced such as: lupus, diabetes, leukemia, etc. Whose to say you will not end up predisposed to one of those things after taking a blood transfusion.

I would be very interested to see any evidence or references for these claims. I have certainly never heard of any research that indicated that one could "catch" diabetes or cancer.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I gave blood 2 months ago for the first time. Since I hate needles, I was nervous. But I ate a good meal first and I was fine.

I would take a transfusion if the doctor said I needed one. Modern medicine has come a long way and the Watchtower tries to scare people with their archaic thinking.

• jula71
    jula71

Good question....Now I would take blood if my life depended on it, I would have reservations but I would. Not sure if I would donate. Some things are just to deeply programed.....

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I am still very dis-inclined to accept blood from a stranger; only from friend or family, and then only if they are clear of drugs and meds. I don't donate, as I am near phobic about medical procedures--I've suffered alot of unnesessary work. I also would feel guilty about passing my allergies/chemical sensitivities on to another. I'd sign up for the bone marrow list, as that would be more valuable IMO. I don't have medical ins, and rarely see a physician, so don't even know where to start with that.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I would accept a blood transfusion if I needed one and I'm currently checking my area to find out where to go to give blood as I'm a universal donor and would like to help keep the blood bank supply up.

I no longer hold the Bible or the JW's version of the blood issue in high regard so it's a no brainier for me.

• kls
    kls

I would gladly accept blood as well as give it with out hesitation.

• Carmel
    Carmel

I will be at the Mormon church tomorrow at 2:00 to donate. We do it every three months. Would I recieve as well as give? You betcha! Until modern medicine comes up with better I'll do my part until the hematocrit drops too low.

carmel

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Thanks for all your comments. I was glad to see I wasn't the only one with reservations about giving and receiving blood.

Blondie your comments were reassuring - that procedures are better etc. I expect we all remember being told about how the Starsky and Hutch guy's wife and child died of AIDs from contaminated blood, and the ocassional stories we do hear about similar cases do make me concerned.

Now I would take blood if my life depended on it, I would have reservations but I would. Not sure if I would donate. Some things are just to deeply programed.....

I'm kind of with prophecor and Jula71 and those others who feel that this particular thing has been really drilled in and it would be hard to see differently.

I think I probably drink too much for my blood to be of much use to anyone and other "recreational activities" of my past may also make it unwise for me to donate. I have stopped carrying around my No Blood card though and I have would definitely be prepared to have my organs donated after death if they could be of any use to anyone.

I also am grateful for the comments re bone marrow donation - I have recently been to a talk regarding this and am considering doing this, but as it will involve being unable to work for at least a week, it probably won't be this year.

• blondie
    blondie

It takes time to reprogram yourself from the WTS dogma. Make the necessary investigations regarding the improved blood supply. Educate yourself online and by talking to your doctor or other healthcare professionals. I contacted the head of surgery of a large teaching hospital in this area when hemoglobin-based products first were in the forefront. He was learning too. He keeps me up to date and I help him understand the HLC and their convoluted statements.

Just remember that when a surgeon comes to you and says your chances of dying w/o a transfusion are very high; weigh that against dying now and the much smaller chance you will contact AIDS through a transfusion.

The chances of contracting AIDS through unprotected sex is more likely. So for those with multiple partners that do not use condoms.........

The majority of non-JWs also do not donate due to misinformation or old information. But if you would accept a transfusion and could and are not donating, give it some thought.

Love, Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit