Can you be disfellowshipped for taking a yoga class?

by TweetieBird 36 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

It all depends on the elder body. There is nothing in the publications directly saying that taking yoga would result in DFing. I wonder if the secret elder's book has anything?

On a related topic--Tai Chi--how many know that it is the first level in Karate?

Several older sisters had signed up for it when I was still a good Dub and I mentioned that to one of their husbands. He said I was wrong...so I looked it up on the Internet and showed him where it was...of course, they didn't quit their classes saying that they weren't practicing false religion.

So it depends on the opinion of the elder body.

Blondie

• jula71
    jula71

May be not Df'd but would get "marked" for sure.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

No info on this directly in the WT or Elders manual... however at a recent CO's meeting it was stated that the person would not qualify for privleges if they took a martial art, which is what I think the WT categorizes Yoga as sort of. They would also be warned to stop the practice but Blondie is correct, it would depend on what the body does. According to the WTS it could fall under the spiritism ruling so its a grey...leaning towards black area at best since the publisher doing it would not qualify for "special" prvileges.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

It's one of those grey areas they use to chastise those they don't like. If you invite elders to dinner regularly, or are related to an elder, they will leave you alone about it.

Walter

• love11
    love11

God I sure hope so... how funny is that!!!!!!! I'm just picturing the elders wives in tights all being called into a meeting for doing yoga. HAHAHAHA

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    I'm just picturing the elders wives in tights all being called into a meeting for doing yoga.

Now I'm gonna lose my lunch.

Walter

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Well if you signed up for a class at the YWCA, I'm sure they'd have something to say about it.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

As a SDA we too were taught the 'dangers' of meditation, anything where there is an attempt to empty the mind...

I'm was never aware of any sort of disfellowshipping polict though in that church, although I suspect it may be there for very extreme cases as outlined in the Bible!?

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

anything that has roots or that is in any way connected to eastern philosophy or mind over matter is controversial to the organization; so if you was to do that you would be labeled weak and probably not good association within the cong

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Yoga = No, No for JWs.

At the very least you'll be privately reprimanded, and expected to drop the class. Hope you're not found out!

DY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit