Can you be disfellowshipped for taking a yoga class?

by TweetieBird 36 Replies latest jw friends

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

I was just wondering since I've started taking a yoga class. Not that I would mind being df'd but not ready to lose the family. I lost my WT library CD so I don't have access to the society's stand on yoga. I've always heard that a witness shouldn't do it, but can you be df'd for it?

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Yes, and we can see the biblical example of this at 2nd Romans 3:15

Do not be stretching as to your bodies as this is an abomination to Jehoba.

So while it's not a DF'ing matter... I wouldn't voluntarily tell anyone I was doing it, cause some narrow minded, judgmental, a** will no doubt make an issue of it. Just say you went to the gym.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I am not sure if its a disfellowshipping offence but it used to be frowned upon. The reason being that while you meditate you empty your mind and the demons would have a better change to take over.

wanna

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

What?

What's wrong with Yoga? It's only an excersise style. I run and I have to stretch my muscles before hitting the treadmill for 40 min, does that mean that my stretching is evil? How does that affect Joe Hoba in anyway?

DL76

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

I am not sure if its a disfellowshipping offence but it used to be frowned upon. The reason being that while you meditate you empty your mind and the demons would have a better change to take over.

wanna

I think that would be more likely to happen if you meditate during any JW related activity.

DL76

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

It is a DFing offense. They would get you on spiritism, however since it is not blatant and obvious then they would give you time to stop it or you would be DF.

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

In the fifties there was an article in the ASLEEP. "Is yoga for Christians" I didn't read it, but I'm sure it said that it was bad. The dubs didn't invent it afterall.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Yoga exercises are a grey area I believe, it depends on the elders and them thinking each pose represents something demonic. However, chanting and meditation are a complete no no.

steve

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Isn't it just plain bizarre that a topic like this is even being discussed. What religion other than the Dubs would give 2 seconds thought to this. "Yoga class?, Good for you!" I believe is what any other religious leader would say.

But I do remember the "clearing your mind" thing. Demons would move in. But, um I heard a part on the DA that Satan and his demons couldn't read your mind or your heart. Clear your mind of all the B.S. and you might just see what a load a crap you have in there.

Young People Ask "Is Pilates for Me?" - I mean come on! The dubs don't want their drones to think for themselves. They want to tell each and everyone what is right / wrong / and up to your conscience... Meaning .... wrong but we can't show you where in the bible to back that up. But if your conscience says it is ok, you just must be weak minded spiritually and we won't DF you, but you won't be getting any priveleges either.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

EF,

your bang on with your cult rules definition.

steve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit