LittleToe's Travels - April 2005

by LittleToe 33 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I love that song, but I would only sing it in jest.

I remember singing it while working on a roof, when it first came out, to the horror of my dub workmates.
    Those were the days - stripped to the waist, drinking coke, in the hot hot sun!

My, it makes me perspire just thinking about it!

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Sing for us, LT -- give us a show and toss your sweat-soaked shirt into the JWD audience and see who overpowers who to catch it! Could be fun?!

Really enjoyed the recounting of your adventures!

Well done, you Scottish JC-boys, taking things well in hand and Dfing the GB !!!

~Merry

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Just an update on April.

This last week has had glorious weather - no rain, plenty of sunshine, though the temperatures are still in the low 50's and below.

On Saturday a friend and I decided to climb the highest peak on the island, the Clisham. It's only about 2,600' (just shy of 800m), but the views from there are magnificent.

It took about an hour and a half to ascend, at a pretty rapid pace. We had a late lunch on the top, and then recalled that it was about eight years since we'd last climbed it, when we used to work together in a local college. There had been a large group of us, that day, and it took about two and a half hours.

The highlight was after we packed up and were about to descend when we heard a helicopter. Unfortunately we didn't get the camera out in time, as the local Coastguard helicopter flew straight over the summit. We waved at the crew, a mere 20yds away, who waved back before heading down the chain of islands on what we suspected was an exercise

The views weren't as clear as we would have liked, with a haze developing that obscured the horizon, but we could still clearly see the islands of Scalpay, Taransay, and the Shiants. To the North we could see a great deal of the Isle of Lewis, Loch Langavat and Loch Seaforth. To the South we could see North Uist and some of Benbecula. Unfortunately it wasn't clear enough to see out to St. Kilda, in the Atlantic ocean.

It took us about 3/4 of an hour to descend, most of it running, though it was quite damp underfoot. Some of it was spent slithering but we soon washed off in a crystal clear stream, at the bottom of the range.

When we got back we cracked open a beer and saluted the day, making plans to hit the next highest peaks, like Muirneag. I very much doubt I'd be able to compete in the "Western Isles Challenge", though.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I forgot to mention that during the ascent a small aircraft flew through the valley.
    It's a way cool feeling to be looking down on an airborne plane!

It was also nice to likely be the first climbers of the year, with the weather just having broken

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit