weird reasoning...

by zaphod 15 Replies latest jw friends

• aniron
    aniron

It was a common thing at one time on how to end a marriage.

Have an affair, get divorced, get disfellowshipped, get reinstated, get married again.

I know two sons of an Elder who did it, now they themselves are Elders.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    When I divorced my first husband, who was not a JW, the elders told me I had to turn in a written note that he had slept with other women so I could have a scriptural divorce. My husband agreed to write the note and I turned it in.

This is such a stupid requirement of the society, and they're trying to put themselves above the law by doing this. My wife and I separated a while back, shortly after I DA'd. If she wants to remarry at some time in the future I might be faced with this hassle. If she asked me I would have no problem telling her whether or not I've been sexually active. However, since I am no longer a JW and therefore no longer subject to watchtower "authority" or other bullshit, I feel that I'm entitled to my privacy. I feel no obligation to explain my sex life or lack thereof to them. I will no longer permit the elders to stick their noses in my bedroom.

Walter

• Buster
    Buster

E-man: That is the first time I ever heard of a DFing with a minimum sentence, and 10 years no less.

Is this common? any other types of offenses? is it just for those cold, pre-meditated transgressions?

• zaphod
    zaphod

i never thought that i could be more disallusined by the jw's but this subject is such an eye-opener to me.

it just shows that the organisation as so superficial and worldly.

if brothers and sisters really believed that jehovah was judging them and not just the elders then i cannot think that they would resort to such machinations.

does anyone really believe or does it just make them feel special to be a member of an exclusive club.

zaphod

• La Capra
    La Capra
    The JC Df'd them for a 10 year minimum period.

I find this so hysterical and also telling. Why DF anyone for a "minimum" time...Isn't armageddon coming tomorrow? Why give such an extended return date when "deep down in your heart" you knows this system will be over by then and the gamers will be destroyed. This is why I don't think the GB (and writers) believe their own vitriole. If kids knew they had an ever pushed out armageddon date of at least ten years, would they ever get baptized? Wouldn't find it out until you were in this situation, and didn't give a damn anyway.

Shoshana

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

A lot of the silly stuff the WTS required of divorced Witnesses to get remarried was insane. I think it stemmed from a strong suspicion that the average Witness just simply couldn't be trusted.

Worse was the incredibly un-scriptural rule that, if one mate had been unfaithful, had confessed to the innocent mate, and then the innocent mate had sexual relations with the partner, there was no longer a scriptural grounds for divorce, as the sex inidcated forgiveness! I've heard that this is based on an old English law - but there is certainly no Biblical basis for it. And what idiot thinks that having sex with someone actually has anything to do with real forgiveness for unfaithfulness?? Leave it to the Governing Body, a group of 19th Century leftovers if I ever saw one, to come up with that idea.

How many times I saw a struggling Witness couple try to work things out, only to find it wasn't going to happen, and then be told that they no longer had a basis for a divorce that would allow them to remarry. It was just another way of trying to take control of people's lives. My god.... How sad...

S4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit