CANADIAN WTBS CHANGES it's name

by Jez 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Jez
    Jez

Letter read tonight. Said that the "Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Canada" will change its letterheads and signature to "Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses"

Jez

• love11
    love11

WOW I'm still shocked that the U.S. changed it's name. Must have something to do with financial reasons I'm sure.

What would happen if the new pope said that catholics are now going to be called vatican followers? I don't think it would fly. JW's will passively follow whatever the "Christian Congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses" say. Crazy.

I asked my mother once, "What would you do if the organization said that you should kill your first born child just like in the Abraham/ Isaac story?" She said she would have to follow "Jehovah's" orders even though it would break her heart.

Talk about a pyramid scheme gone awry!!!!

• inquirer
    inquirer

I wonder if it will happen in Australia too...

By the way, in Australia the Bethel site (I am relatively close to it) is in a dump suburb called Ingleburn. It use to be in Strathfield -- that's where all the books were burnt in World War 2. Now a largely Korean community lives there.

But Ingleburn, is kindy dumpy. Is the Canadian Bethel in a dumpy spot or is it a "downtown" spot? :)

• Golf
    Golf

The bottom line is, its' still 'incorporated.' Tax exempt.

Golf

• cypher50
    cypher50

Sounds like the Society is trying to get away from being called a publishing cult...

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Sounds like the bOrg is trying to take of a more friendly "look" for the world.

• zaphod
    zaphod

if jw are supposed to be a worldwide brotherhood, doesn't this variety of names kind of detract from that?

looks to me like different sects of one organisation.

zaphod

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    Is the Canadian Bethel in a dumpy spot or is it a "downtown" spot? :)

The Canadian bethel is out of city limits. It's a very nice property out in farmland, at least it was the last time I visited. With Toronto's growth, who knows now.

The name change is very interesting. I wonder, is it a legal name change, or just on stationary? Is there going to be several different corporations in Canada like there is in the US?

Kwin

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

"WOW I'm still shocked that the U.S. changed it's name. Must have something to do with financial reasons I'm sure."

When did the U.S. change its name and to what?

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

The WTBTS will still remain in place it just means that another organisation has been formed with seperates itself from them; i.e. Christian Congregation of JWs will be the religious organisation whilst the publishing etc will still be carried out by WTBTS.

Havent seen the letter so could be wrong but I do know that the WTS is trying to seperate itself from JWs so not to be seen as a publishing corporation and this could be one of the ways they are doing this.

DB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit