Immigration and weddings...

by CeriseRose 9 Replies latest jw friends

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

So I've mentioned I'm engaged and may or may not have mentioned that I'm emigrating to the US from Canada. Waiting in the immigration process, in a word, sucks. Add to that the we got shafted by a lawyer who didn't do what he was supposed to, so we lost 6 months of processing time not having our application in. Average start to finish is 8 months or so, so you can imagine how upsetting losing that time was.

In February we started the process ourselves without the lawyer. We've been watching it closely and expected that sometime in the next two weeks we should start *hoping* that our case was coming up soon for first level approval (the part that takes the longest and is the most "unknown"). Much to our surprise, we both had emails this morning telling us we're approved and on to the next stage. !!! It's averaging them 90 days and we got through in 49!!! We're very excited because the next stages are more "active" ones for us.

• from here our application spends 2-4 weeks at the national centre in the US while they gather last bits of info and run a basic security check
    • the application is then sent to the US consulate here in Vancouver
    • the consulate sends me a packet of things to collect and send back to them, and gives info on how to set up my physical and police check
    • once receiving that, they book my interview (usually a month later). I get the visa at the interview.

So we don't have too much longer to go, even though it feels like forever still. But I'm happy happy and full of sugar (eeep!) so just had to share!

• kls
    kls

Ceriserose,congratulations to the both of you. Where are you going to be living in the US?

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

i'm thinking of moving to the states too. keep us posted on your sucess

• jwbot
    jwbot

Eh? The US is sorta wacky at the moment...why come here (from Canada!)? Too cold up there?

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose
    Ceriserose,congratulations to the both of you. Where are you going to be living in the US?

Washington State, just north of Vancouver WA/Portland OR.

i'm thinking of moving to the states too. keep us posted on your sucess

When we get final approval I'll be screaming it from the rooftops! You'll probably hear it.

Eh? The US is sorta wacky at the moment...why come here (from Canada!)? Too cold up there?

No, I live in the most temperate area of the country. Barely get winter. But we had to pick one place or the other and with my parents both being gone and no friends here left (JWs won't talk to me, go figure), I am more in need of a "change" than my sweetie is. And the US has been wacky most of my life. As has Canada. At least I'll be in the wacky with my honey. hehe

• love11
    love11

That's great! Hope you like America. You have to take the pros with the cons. Just make sure you're moving for you and you'll be happy. My friend used to live in Portland and she said it was beautiful. The people there are more laid back than in the NorthEast, so I've been told. Kind of artsy and earthy. I'm just relaying to you how she put it to me. haha But seriously, have an adventure! Love

• Purza
    Purza

Congratulations Cerise! I am glad you found some happiness. I am getting married this year too!

Purza

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Ahhh...welcome future americans! I hope you go through the nationalization process...that way you will get a much better education on the constitution and US history than 99% of the US high school students.

Hey, we have our problems...but so does every country. Gotta take the good with the bad...I think there is more good to outweighth the bad. I do like Canada...only been there twice...back in '85 or '84 for the international convention, and then again about 10 years later for an overnight trip...Montreal has the cleanest subways I have ever been in!!!

you should move to Texas...now TEXAS...this really is a whole 'nother country my friend.

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

we are emigrating from the UK to Australia in August, it has taken over 2 years to get our visas!

• Es
    Es

congratz hope all goes well es

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit