What do they do at a Sunday morning service at a Jehovah's Witness Service?

by omerp 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• doogie
    doogie
    Will I have to listen to somebody put down other denominations, etc....?

yup. if that bothers you, you're not going to like a lot of what you hear. if you enjoy social bigotry, then hey, you'll LOVE it!!

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

What everyone said is pretty much what happens...if you're real lucky, you'll be "love bombed" by the little old ladies....

• omerp
    omerp

I might try that someday, drop in on them unexpectedly, but I already have my eyes opened to them! Thanks for the tip! You might say I'm sort of interested in them because they are so different and there's not a lot of knowledge of their church service, since most people are not Jehovah's Witness and they don't know much about them except that they're a cult or you'll hear "don't have anything to do with them"! I know a bit about their doctrine from reading on the internet and I do have a nephew who is a Jehovah's Witness but his wife is not and that is a problem for that family! I have a friend who is in the same boat! She's a Witness and her Witness friends come around to hang out with them! I'd like to know as much about them as possible but I don't think you can deprogram them after they are active Witness's!

• rebel8
  • LittleToe
    LittleToe

To put it in church jargon, a Sunday Service comprises of the following:

• Hymn and very short prayer.
    • 45 minute sermon
    • Hymn
    • 1 hour Question and answer "study" of a Watchtower article - proscriptive
    • Hymn and short prayer

There's no benediction, no opportunity to ask any of your own questions, no "plate" passed around, but there may be some bashing of other religions.

They stand to sing and pray, and sit for everything else. They usually all look up every scripture sited, so if you're slow finding scriptures then you'll stand out a mile. They also have their own hymn book, of which someone may lend you a copy, as there are none set aside for visitors.

The door is usually open around twenty minutes before and after, and people can sit where they like.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Don't forget, the time before and after the meeting is probably more important than the meeting itself. That's when people "fellowship" with one another because they have no time for one another once they're out of the hall. The up and comers will try to hobnob with the elders, taking every opportunity to suck up to them. The elders wives get together and cackle about the latest gossip in the congregation. Try to evesdrop on these conversations, as it is probably the most accurate source of news in the congregation. Sometimes it gets pretty juicy. Make sure you notice those who don't talk to anyone. Avoid them at all costs. These ones are the lepers of the congregation. They're not DF'd, but the congregation elite have determined that these must occupy the position of social outcast. Talk to these people and you're committing social suicide.

Above all, let the elders know how privileged you are to meet them. They crave such attention.

Walter

• omerp
    omerp

Thanks for the link rebel! Lots of good infomation here!

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"Hymn and very short prayer."

Things must be different on the other side of "the pond". It always seemed like prayers dragged out forever .. in Jesus' name we pray, amen. Of course, that could be because I was always waiting for Sister X to uncross her legs or something, sneaking peeks out of the corner of my teenage eye.

• Lyn289
    Lyn289

Hi, Im new on here~ but I went to kingdom hall about 5 times, with 2 diffrent families. I still read the many books they gave me,I also believe this way. and I quite enjoyed it from the regular baptist church where they get up and yell , AMEN! at any given moment.

The reading of the Watchtower and the answereing questions is very interesting , I got to answere a question the 2nd time I was there mostly I think cause i was already well versed in the bible.I had the congregation shocked. The congregation I went to all were very nice and greeted me with open arms! I havent gone back recently but Im thinking about it next week going.

The only thing I must say I dont like is the Hym book. Its very drab compared to Baptist worship music.

and the fact that there is no collection basket I also like that too.

Lyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit