Girl Scout cookies

by Shawn 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Shawn
    Shawn

Sorry if this is an old topic. Is it true they can't buy Girl scout Cookies? If so what is the theocratic wisdom behind that?

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Cause they are demon cookies....

There was a couple of urban myth Jo Ho stories floating around when I was a teenager that boxes of cookies were possessed by demunz.

But I think their main reason for it is like not going to the YMCA....it supports an Unchristian goal....*I mean Un-Witnessess goal*. Course this begs the question why the WTS was an NGO with the United Nations.

• Shawn
    Shawn

Is it still in effect? Can someone verify if these are still acurate? http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/2919/reasons.html I am interested in knowing if these, sometimes ludacris, beliefs are still held. Thanks

• under74
    under74

It doesn't have to be endorsed by the WTS to be believed by the common JW. I had to get rid of anything that had to do with smurfs as a kid because of a couple of "demon smurf" stories that circulated through the Kingdom Halls.

As far as Girl Scout cookies go all I know was that I couldn't be a girl scout and that buying cookies from them (even though I knew plenty of JWs that did) was considered supporting a government type group.

• kls
    kls

was considered supporting a government type group.

Under74 hit it right on the head and they salute the flag.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Well, not only do Girl Scouts salute the flag, they are also known to has *ssshhhhhhh* lesbians & women's rights folks involved in their organization.

There was actually some wacko fundamentalist group in Texas that was threatening a boycott of Girl Scout cookies last year because of GS involvement with Planned Parenthood.

(FWIW, my daughter has been a Girl Scout for the past 8 years. And we do have a few boxes of cookies left ... )

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Because they are not really made from Girl Scouts.

-Eduardo

• blondie
    blondie

You will find nothing in writing, Shawn, saying that JWs cannot buy GS cookies. It is a matter of conscience and stumbling another JW in the end.

The WTS uses that policy to eliminate many things never spoken of in the Bible. So you will find some JWs buy GS cookies just making sure another JW doesn't find out in case they might Stumble Them.

Blondie

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Personally, I bought them anyhow. Love the chocolate mint ones, and you gotta take a stand for things that are really important!

Mmmmmm....

J

• love11
    love11

I was never allowed to be in Girl Scouts because they would say an oath of allegiance to each other. I guess if you couldn't say your allegiance to your country you also couldn't say it to other girl scouts. Buying the cookies would show that you are supporting that cause. Apparently, everything that normal people do, was off limits. jennieb- I'm suprised you didn't get called into an elders meeting for buying thoses evil choc. mints. hahaha

Although this was a conscience matter, if they saw some at your house- watch the rumors fly that you weren't as "spiritual" as they were.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit