Exotic Food

by simplesally 13 Replies latest social entertainment

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Yummmm!

One of the dishes I love the best is b'stilla. It's a chicken, almond, egg, cinnamon pie wrapped in philo topped with powdered sugar. MMMM good.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I tell you what, back when I had much more time and stamina, I actually made b'stilla once. There was an article on Moroccan food in the cooking magazine I subscribed to. Can't remember if it was Sphere or Bon Appetit. It's mainly time-consuming and much easier than it looks. The filling consists mainly of chicken and eggs, as you said; it's not break-the-bank expensive, either. And damn, it's good

Edited to add: Sweetp, no, it's not dessert. Some cultures just have different ideas of how dinner food should taste, or where sweets should go in a meal. During the Renaissance in Europe, many of the fancier meat dishes were made with sweet sauces; maybe this idea was picked up from the Middle East during the Crusades. It still hangs on in some Eastern European dishes, like chicken with prunes (or apricots). The English also have a wonderfully named recipe, Tiddy Oggy with Scrumpy Sauce, which is a nice rich pork pie with a gravy based on mashed apples.

The Chinese don't think sweets belong at the end of a meal - they're strictly for snacktime, with tea.

gently feral

• AlanF
    AlanF

I like Morroccan food, alright. Eating with your fingers without getting hollered at is nice!

AlanF

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I haven't had Moroccan since I left New York. Haven't had decent Indian either. Boise doest at least have some pretty good Thai.

I miss New York. I'm going to leave this thread now.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Euph, I just had Thai food the other day. I love the chicken satay. I learned to make Thai food from a thai lady who lived near me about 10 years ago. And Thai Iced Tea!!!!!!!!!!

For those who don't know what chicken satay is: it's chicken on a skewer, served with a peanut sauce! MMMMM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit