Mp3sharing like breaking bread

by Bas 18 Replies latest social entertainment

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

ok, scratch AAC, I challenge you to listen to a 128 kbps MP3 track, then the CD track, and then tell me which was which.

• Bas
    Bas

Well, I'd have to agree that we're dealing with a grey area here, and if albums would cost only $3 I'd probably buy a whole lot of them.

Back to the breaking of bread analogy, would any of you guys think that jesus was harming the poor bakers in the area with his little p2p breadbreakingnetwork?

b

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Nah, P2P ain't like breaking bread.

It's more like having sex with a lot of people. Sure its enjoyable, but sometimes you catch something.

• jula71
    jula71

Bas, that reminds me...I have to send you those tunes..... :)

• el jarocho mayor
    el jarocho mayor

Hey Jula, thanks for breaking bread with me.

• jula71
    jula71

El......you rockin' out to those?

I am, thanks bud.......velvet rocks....

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Nobody records from the radio using cassette tapes anymore,

My mother does, and for the longest time, I did too. I used to record entire radio shows on reel to reel tapes. I also recorded songs off the music videos and other friends' CDs.

so it's not a useful analogy. And the quality isn't the same. With MP3's that are 128 kbps and over, the quality is virtually indistinguishable from the original CD track

Not true. I'm incredibly fussy with the sound of my music. Give me a CD over an MP3 anyday. The only use I really have for MP3s are the sheer size of them (putting 100 songs on a CD) and transferring audio over the internet. I don't rely on them for quality.

I admit that I download songs from P2P file sharing networks. However, most of what I download isn't available here in Canada unless I want to pay upwards of $30 to $40 per CD. Who the hell wants to pay that? I did back in the day when I had no other choice.

I also use MP3 downloading for sampling bands that I'm considering buying their album. If they only have two good songs and the rest of the album is shit, they're not getting my money. I can put up with a couple of bad songs for the price of a CD, but not an album of bad songs.

As far as the whole Generation Y thing, it does seem that free music is much better than high quality sounding music. Regarding this issue, we've gone backwards. In the 1980s and 1990s, CDs were more expensive than cassettes or LPs, but the price was worth the sound quality.

Also, DVDs are going to see the same problem as CDs in this regard, and it's already begun. As technology gets better, and the speed of transferring information via the internet gets better, more people with start downloading movies. Since we're going backwards with quality, why not eliminate FM radio for music and go back to using AM? Why not go back to using cassettes - slowing them down so they can hold more music? Why not give up on DVDs in favor of Video Tapes which hold more anyway?

Quality is the reason MP3s are not used in recording studios.

• el jarocho mayor
    el jarocho mayor

Jula, does a messican love beans?

Thanks for the tunes, bro!

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

Dan - a bit late to answer on . but:

$.99 for a song you like is not a killer amount of money, though paying $10 for the whole album is outrageous,

As Bas said : for $ 3,-- I would buy a lot. I should add: $10,-- is still cheap here....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit