New Light on Higher Education

by seeitallclearlynow 38 Replies latest jw friends

• JW83
    JW83

Wow! In my cong we had two professionals - a journalist & an engineer (?), married to each other. Now, the local celebrity is a former newsreader/voiceover man!

Cleaning was the mainstay of my cong(s) ...

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow
    Makes me wonder if they will ever change their views about organized sports. I kept 4 sons from playing as kids. But that's another thread.

purps

Purps - I agree totally! Keeping the young ones out of sports is so sad. I love how confusedjw has handled that. But so many poor kids who would have loved to be involved with sports have been held back. Of course, confusedjw is your typical "Soccer Mom", but we won't go into that right now...give the guy a break.

• Quotes
    Quotes

Some quotes on Education are available: http://quotes.watchtower.ca/education.htm

In November 1992, they did soften the stance to allow for, apparently, specific technical career training -- so that you would be able to Pioneer more easily (and perhaps have more money to donate each week? Just speculating.)

I don't see any statements encouraging people to learn just for the sake of learning -- amazingly, they don't even encourage someone to learn ancient (i.e. biblical) languages or get a degree in Religious Studies. From the 1992 article, they seem to be implying that a 3 yr community college degree is better than a 4 year Bachelor's degree (shorter path to get out and start Pioneering).

As late as 2001, they warn young people about "higher education, which is having a negative impact on their spirituality".

Watchtower is between a rock and a hard place. They need more lawyers, but know that for many people an introduction to logic, reasoning, and simple undisputed facts of human history and culture, will prove that Watchtowerism is full of bovine excrement and that student will leave the cult.

I'll bet they would like to open their own law school to fill the need, risk free. Then again, I'd like to win this year's Mr. Olympia contest.... but my pipe dream is not going to happen, and neither will theirs.

~Quotes, of the "B.A.Sc., P.Eng." class

• Scully
    Scully

I, for one, am glad that I Ran Ahead Of Jehovah's Organization TM on this one. It's taken them 13 years to stop waffling on the point of education that they published in 1992. In the meantime, I finished college and graduated with honours, have a job that I love, accumulated seniority and wage earning ability, and contributed to my pension.

That puts me about 10 years ahead of any JW who decides to make the same choice today.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

talk at our hall was also very positive re education

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Thanks for posting the article, Blondie. It's clearly aimed at the African/third-world country market (hence all the references to the need for basic literacy, to educate girls, etc). The guys who had the talk in Western countries undoubtedly had to adapt the material for their audience.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

when they first started saying it was ok to go to college, I don't know, maybe 10 years ago, they were saying it was only for the guys, because they were the ones expected to provide for their families, indicating it was still not ok for girls. then they started saying it was ok for anyone whose goal was pioneering. since then, they talk out of both sides of their mouth about it. this is not new, and they will keep on saying college is not good, too. they say this because they cannot stop kids from going now, whether they ever intend to pioneer or not, and 99 out of 100 times, they do not. good for them.

• catchthis
    catchthis
    If the dubs ever got smart they'd open a JW University. The more their members make the more they will give to the Church, ie,,, the Mormons.

LOL!! Sorry, no disrespect intended.

But it takes an educated person to teach a person. I can think of a hundred or so scriptures from Proverbs that relate to "stupid ones."

• barry
    barry

The SDAs promote education for their members and in fact in the US SDAs have twice the % of college degrees as the general population.

This of course causes problems in the church with people beleiving in science such as the theory of evolution while the church beleives in seven days six thousand years. One delegate in the recent faith science conference held by the church is recorded as saying 'We will give them seven days and six thousand years and they will have to fight for every second extra'. Another delegate has said ' While god has been a physist for 15 billion years he has only been a theologin for 6 thousand years.

The moral of the story is the WT society is saving itself a lot of grief by not promoting higher education.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit