New Light on Higher Education

by seeitallclearlynow 38 Replies latest jw friends

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Has this already been mentioned/discussed here?

My son made a point to tell me that they had what was to him a very interesting, different talk on the Service Meeting this week. The Presiding Overseer gave a talk on the Society's changed view of getting a college education.

He used the scripture which admonishes the reader to "acquire a heart of wisdom" and applied it to getting a 4 year college education for the sake of being able to support oneself at double the rate of pay with one's degree upon graduation. This of course is only for the purpose of being able to then pioneer, only having to work a few days a week, thereby having the time for the field ministry.

Such an annoying change - finally! But of course they had to get reasonable about it.

Just wondering if you all have heard this too? I haven't seen anything in writing yet.

• JH
    JH

I heard that too on thursday.....

I was shocked, to hear them say just the opposite of what they were teaching since years....

Imagine the poor people who didn't get an education back then, and are now too old to go back to school today....

I guess the end ain't tomorrow then...

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i think they have finally realised that there is just as much chance of someone being tempted in college as there is in mcdonalds....i went to college for sex drugs and rocknroll and the first day im there im sitting in the canteen having lunch when my fellow students at my table get their bibles out to do their bible reading for the day...none of them jw...the irony etc

• blondie
    blondie

Was that talk based on new info in the KM or were they referred to previous material in the WT publications in the directions on the talk?

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

has this been announced in the UK too?

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Blondie, I'd like to ask him what the basis was - it was definitely a service meeting part, so I figure it was from the KM - I'll ask him more tonight!

:)

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Now they tell us...

I like the new avatar, seeit.

Jeannie

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

I was admonished from the stage for going off to college in 1986. The elder gave a Sunday talk and incorporated a five minute smear on higher education. This Brother [name removed] himself had a college education!!! Lying piece of S***.

• blondie
    blondie

Seeit, if you have access to the current KM, on the second page is the schedule of talks for each week. If the talk was scheduled by the WTS, there should be a Title and source material given either in the KM itself as an article or reference to another WT publication and page and paragraphs to base it on.. Of course, if it was a Local Needs talk then it is the BOE's choice.

Blondie

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Blondie, I have it, and no mention is made of anything to do with education. I wonder if it was on the Theo School? Hm!

Week starting April 4

Song 119

5 min: Local announcements

15 min: Have Love Among Yourselves. (John 13:35) Talk by an elder based on the February 1, 2003 Watchtower, pages 15-18, paragraphs 10-21. As mentioned in the lit offer for May....Highlight how publishers can work in cooperation with the elders in assisting those who are weak.

25 min: "A Video With a Timeless Message." Read Psalm 91:2 and 31:14, making a very brief comment on each. Then get right into an audience discussion of the quiz for the David video, using all the questions listed....Conclude by reading Psalm 56:11.

Song 36 and concluding prayer.

()

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit