Most disgusting thing from Watchtower Corp.

by spectromize 35 Replies latest jw friends

• spectromize
    spectromize

One thing that really doesn't add up with the organization and their registrating to be a Corp.(Yes I have to put this in quote sorry it's called non-profit corp.) is the very fact that they play in the worldly system of things while they tell you to keep out of it.(While they see nothing wrong in themselves playing the stock market with other peoples money) Think about it where did Jesus say to register God's organization as a corporation?
    Furthermore if you were living in Jesus' period of time who would be the president-vice-president-secratary- treasurer-shareholders...?

Of course when your making billions of obscene profits from free labor every year from your members, you can expect the flow of information to be controlled and calculated for money. Yes corporations are all about making money and dodging the tax man.

Why do I say this? Think about it again, when the organization has a special meeting for shareholders do you get invited? No unless you are invited. But of course at every meeting they tell you how much part of the org. you are and how great it is for you to contribute to the worldwide work, and how much you should be contributing and the special arrangement they have for you to give property, jewellery, pension funds, inheritance, wills... from that famous reminder watchtower every year about giving all or valuable things to Jehovah, to this famous corp. But when come time for the shareholder meeting every year even though you've given your money and time as a shareholder you are not even allowed to attend.

That's what I find disgusting about this corp. completely for themselves and their pockets! They even have a problem paying for some of the medical expenses at Bethel from some of their most devout members, go figure?

Edited by - spectromize on 26 August 2000 13:0:25

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Yes.. that was one of the things I was most disillusioned about. I thought they were soooo holy, and then realized they were just a money making corporation like every other heartless corp. out there, swindling everyone into giving all their dollars, their work, their hard-earned pay for the ORG. No different than Jim Bakker's PTL club, except we didn't get to go to a theme park/hotel and enjoy it!

RCat

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I hate to play the role of Friend (lol)

But I don't see the Society chiefly interested in making money. Any organization, and especially one of this size and magnitude requires a huge amount of money to keep it going. To me it appears they are only looking out for their continued survival when dealing with money matters.

Relatively speaking, they don't even appear to be that extravagant or lavish in their building endeavours or how they choose to live.

The days of Rutherford's high living are gone, no caddilacs, body guards, expensive suits and booze, mansions in California.

This is not to say that I'm entirely without any cause for concern in the area. The Patterson project always made me wonder in the sense that in the late 80's, why would a 15 year building project be undertaken, when we were all under the impression "this generation (1914) would not pass away?"

Why could they not lay everything on the line, like the members who exercised full confidence and faith in their words by not "needlessly" planning for the future?

Forgoing education (which now is encouraged), brothers passing away leaving no life insurance benefits to their families (which now is encouraged), many people have been left "holding the bag" while the Society carries on having created a "safety net" for their own well-being.

From what I see, fewer people are putting all their eggs in one basket. People are playing catch-up with finances. The end seems distant and vague now to many. People are expressing their discontent by witholding donations.

It hardly seems fair that people did what they were told to do, then those who told them appear to beg off from any responsibility.

Path

• Deacon
    Deacon

One thing I could never work out, and still cant, is the question as to who benefits from the money. With the lessening of income since the inception of donations for literature, income had to be generated elsewhere, and stocks is one way.

But I still cant see where individuals benefit in the organisation.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Welcome Deacon

But I still cant see where individuals benefit in the organisation.

Neither can I. The organizaton (whatever that is) collectively benefits. So where does that leave the window washing/office cleaning pioneer with 3 kids living on a shoe-string?

While no one lives lavishly (ie bethelites) there is a certain peace of mind knowing you get up, do your assignment knowing you have a place to sleep, and someone cooking your food for you. Conversely many brothers (and sisters) in their sixties are working their asses off, just to survive.

Where is the accountablity for bad advice (however well meant)?

Path

Edited by - Pathofthorns on 27 August 2000 10:28:8

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Good point, Path.. And what about those the Watchtower threw OUT of Bethel, when they were old and had spent most of their lives there? They had NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING to survive on. But I guess that's another subject!!

RCat

• mgm
    mgm

Spec said:
    "While they see nothing wrong in themselves playing the stock market with other peoples money"

How do you know that? Is that a rumour or a fact?

Greetings

• circare
    circare

Hey guys,

I know I'm putting my neck on the block here, so go ahead and chop away,………

Who are we referring to when we talk about the old being thrown out of Bethel?

That is certainly not the case here at the Australian Bethel. I personally know and have witnessed over many years the care and love given to the older ones who have spent their lives serving in the 'ministry'. I can testify to the patience and care given older ones, - some who have developed dementia in their older years. These older ones have received 24hr a day 'babysitting' and medical care, but beyond that, they have received love and caring and tenderness and respect that normally would only come from a blood relative. These older ones have told me personally that there is no where else they would rather be, (and who am I to judge what they should want or not want - each to their own!) Their greatest sadness is that they are no longer 'useful' and they can no longer do their bethel job or serve out on the circuit or missionary assignments which is what they LOVED to do!

It also seems to me that the WTS is in a 'no win situation' when it comes to the financing of the preaching work and all the necessary organisational structure that comes with that. Doesn't it strike you that they are in the classic situation illustrated in Aesop's fable of 'the Man, the Boy and the Donkey'? No matter what they do they receive criticism from somebody about how they do it. They are 'too greedy' and 'only interested in the money', they don't make 'good use of the money' or they 'should make better financial decisions with the money they have so as not to burden the brothers' or 'they don't look after the ones who work full time' or 'they look after 'their own' too well' etc. etc. etc.

Sure there are many legitimate criticisms that can be made about individual brothers in authoritative positions and legitimate criticisms for mistakes and unfortunate attitudes by the WTS over the years, - but aren't we clutching at straws here?

I feel that we sometimes act like disgruntled teenagers realising for the first time that our adored 'parents' are not perfect after all! In our disappointment at the realities of 'grown-up' life we are now casting about for reasons to blame our 'parent' for all our perceived problems in life without taking responsibility for the decisions we made. Yes - we may have made those decisions based on 'bad advice', but we did make those decisions ourselves, and for every one of us that took a particular course of action, there was another brother or sister making the opposite decision whom 'we looked down on'.

The 'parent' that gave the 'bad advice', was it out of some heinous or ulterior motive to benefit in some way from us 'the children'? Or was it like any parent who gives bad advice from time to time with their children - they did the best they could with what they knew at the time, with the motive of trying to do the right thing!

Isn't there some more constructive purpose we could achieve with this forum?

Edited by - circare on 29 August 2000 2:41:27

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Read Crisis of Conscience.. then tell me they never throw people out on the street with nothing. People who have given their entire lives to that Organization. People with good hearts who just DARED to disagree, who had a conscience and wouldn't lie to the people just to make the GB look good. Then tell me it was just a "loving parent giving bad advice". No way. It was DUPLICITY, totally and completely. And it's still happening. Look in your Daniel book in this week's book study information, where it tells the people that the Organization was prophesying the beginning of the last days as 1914 for many years before that, when in actuality, the Organization was predicting ARMAGEDDON in 1914, NOT the beginning of the last days. They've lied to cover there bare a** and they're still lying to people who haven't done enough research to know better. Loving parent? I think not!

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

RCat

Edited by - Roamingfeline on 29 August 2000 4:31:33

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit