Did U know about the early white supremicist view of the JW's?

by love2Bworldly 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I was shocked when I read info on the early views of the JW's toward blacks. Read the website "Watch the Tower/Blacks and the Watchtower."

Here is just a sampling:

"If nature favors the colored brethren and sisters in the exercise of humility it is that much to their advantage, if they are rightly exercised by it. A little while, and our humility will work out for our good. A little while, and those who have been faithful to their Covenant of Sacrifice will be granted new bodies, spiritual, beyond the veil, where color and sex distinctions will be no more. A little while, and the Millennial kingdom will be inaugurated, which will bring restitution to all mankind, restitution to the perfection of mind and body, feature and color, to the grand original standard, which God declared "very good," and which was lost for a time through sin, but which is soon to be restored by the powerful kingdom of Messiah."
    (p. 105106) April 1, 1914 Watchtower

"While it is true that the white race exhibits some qualities of superiority over any other, we are to remember that there are wide differences in the same Caucasian (Semitic and Aryan) family; and also we should remember that some of the qualities which have given this branch of the human family its preeminence in the world are not such as can be pointed to as in all respects admirable....The secret of the greater intelligence and aptitude of the Caucasian undoubtedly in great measure is to be attributed to the commingling of blood amongst its various branches; and this was evidently forced in large measure by circumstances under divine control." (Zion's Watch Tower, July 15, 1902, p.215216)

Have you heard of this before? I am mind-boggled at all the things I'm learning about the WBTS.

• ljwtiamb
    ljwtiamb

There is almost not a single organization in the US or Western world that did not have similar or same views.

The founding fathers of this country were the same or even worse. Does that mean that we should not honour the constitution?

• Poztate
    Poztate
    I was shocked when I read info on the early views of the JW's toward blacks. Read the website "Watch the Tower/Blacks and the Watchtower."

The REAL shocking part was they they were almost the last religion in the USA to integrate services for all races.You see they didn't want to cause a problem to the governments at the time.

• TonyT
    TonyT
    There is almost not a single organization in the US or Western world that did not have similar or same views.

Did those other organizations claim to have direct contact with God?

Since the Watchtower was God's earthly organization at that time, did God have racist views?

Were these mans views or did God become politically correct?

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"did God have racist views?"

Probably. But tying back to the notion that God mixed up the races and languages after the tower of Babel fiasco, I think the REAL question is this: were Adam & Eve black or white or asian or hispanic or what? Are we white folks the curse for the ambition of those who sought to reach the heavens by building a tower? *LOL*

• rebel8
    rebel8
    The founding fathers of this country were the same or even worse. Does that mean that we should not honour the constitution?

To add to what Tony T said, the JWs have always claimed to be God's one and only true organization, being led spiritually and doctrinally directly by God.

The logic that past mistakes do not prove we should not follow a group or teaching is valid. However, I don't think anyone in this thread was using that logic to say this is proof all the doctrinal teachings of the WTS are invalid because they used to be racist (maybe I'm wrong). I think they were trying to point out that this past teaching is proof they were never led by an all-good, infallible God.

Maybe the writers of the Constitution thought they were led by God, too, I don't know. But then again, I am willing to adhere to the principles in the Constitution because they are moral and just (determined by use of my independent critical thinking and facts) rather than blind, unthinking acceptance.

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

The REAL shocking part was they they were almost the last religion in the USA to integrate services for all races.You see they didn't want to cause a problem to the governments at the time.

Yep, I always felt that J-dubs were worse when it came to racial matters. This was the first thing that caused me to start having doubts.

M'

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

For me, I never really saw racisim in the org. But what pisses me off is that we were always told that witnesses had NEVER had racist views. They practiced segregation only because the law required it. But they NEVER taught that one race was superior to another. But surprise, they DID. Just another lie.

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

For me, I never really saw racisim in the org. But what pisses me off is that we were always told that witnesses had NEVER had racist views. They practiced segregation only because the law required it. But they NEVER taught that one race was superior to another. But surprise, they DID. Just another lie. I saw more racisim in the borg than among than among so called "wordly" people! M'

• IT Support

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit