Examples of JW's taking one scripture and EXPLOITING it

by Black Man 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Man
    Black Man

JW's are expert at taking one passing thought in scripture and forming a whole belief system or control mechanism around it. Ex: Matt. 24:45-47 Faithful and Discreet Slave......one parable, illustration.....no other mention of it in scripture....but if you do a search of it on the CD-Rom, it is one of the most talked about/written about subject in their history.

Y'all think of any others?

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

JWs not unlike the rest, will take a scipture which SEEMS to support their point of view, like the dead know nothing and then interpret all other verses in light of it... such as fear not those who cannot kill the soul.... or the souls under the throne cried to God, which must be figurative because this other scripture says the dead are not conscious, etc.

and it seems that the other religions with no less justification have simply taken the reverse reading and reasoning.

• blondie
    blondie

*** Rbi8 1 Peter 3:7 ***

YOU husbands, continue dwelling in like manner with them according to knowledge, assigning them honor as to a weaker vessel, the feminine one, since YOU are also heirs with them of the undeserved favor of life, in order for YOUR prayers not to be hindered.

So many male JWs have interpreted this to mean weaker spiritually, emotionally, and physically, second-class humans...

The only application I can see is that over all most men are physically stronger than most women but then are exceptions galore.

• Servant4Jesus
    Servant4Jesus

Also they are ignoring what it says in the last part of Revelations (as also many other translators)"thou shall NOT ADD NOR TAKE AWAY from the book" I myself think this means more then the book of revelation. They think the NWT is updated. Well God (or Jehovah) is neverchanging same as begining& end. As i said, other translators like Thomas nelson took away & changed things too, & Max Lucado, or however the lastname is spelled, put their own tohught in the bible? God doesn't want our thoughts in his bible, he wants us to come to him to ask questions! I stick to the KJV,but that is my personal reference. but back to Jw, since this is the forum... just watch for omittings in the bible& changes where not needed. God is clear about this...no matter how "new & updated" it is!

• zugzwang
    zugzwang

Welcome Servant4Jesus. The WTS is great at adding words for instance:

Colossians 1:15-20 NWT: "He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; because by means of him all [other] things were created in the heavens and upon the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, no matter whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All [other] things have been created through him and for him. Also, he is before all [other] things and by means of him all [other] things were made to exist, and he is the head of the body, the congregation. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that he might become the one who is first in all things; because [God] saw good for all fullness to dwell in him, and through him to reconcile again to himself all [other] things by making peace through the blood [he shed] on the torture stake, no matter whether they are the things upon the earth or the things in the heavens."

Colossians 1:15-20 NIV "He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremecy. For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross."

Here the WTS inserts the word "other" five times. This word does not appear in the original greek. The WTS simply adds this word because without it this verse is stating that Jesus is God. The greek word "panta" means "all things" not "all other things." The same thing is done at Phillippians 2:9: "For this very reason also God exalted him to a superior position and kindly gave him the name that is above every [other] name." The word other again is inserted changing the meaning of the verse.

• sad and lonely
    sad and lonely

someone i know who's a catholic say she was taught people goes to a place purgatory?..i think it was,well its suppose to be a place when the dead go when gods not sure where to send them..its not heaven or hell.and i never read that in any kj bible,or any other bible...but she should me in her bible...so i feel there's lots of religions that isn't teaching exactly from the bible.so what's the difference between them and the jw?...and ...what borg?..i see that a lot up here. thanks!

• zugzwang
    zugzwang

sad and lonely, borg refers to the Star Trek borg. The collective, where everyone thinks alike and no one questions. But remember, "resistance is not futile." If you never watched Star Trek then that term won't make any sense to you.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    so what's the difference between them and the jw?...and ...what borg?..i see that a lot up here. thanks

S&L,

There really is no difference. Different sects are based on what scriptures they read and take literally ("The father is greater than I am") and which ones they "explain" ("If you have seen me, you have seen the father also"). No matter how much they label themselves "The Truth", they are as much "Our Interpretation" as anybody else. Others are no better, except they usually allow their members to choose to believe official church positions on scripture or not, whereas the Watchtower demands full conformance to "present truth".

On Star Trek, the Borg are a race of cyborgs that seek to "assimilate" everyone into their "collective". Once assimilated, you think like a borg, act like a borg, and act in harmony with and for the collective good of the borg. It sounds so much like the Watchtower, that the nickname was applied and stuck. Especially since the Watchtower is often referred to as "the organization", and thus bOrg.

Dave

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Hebrews 10:24, 25 Do not forsake the gathering of yourselves together...

I hated being told this all the time because I had other actual important things to do beside attend a meeting! I got nothing out of them, yet I kept going. They exploit/twist this scripture to indoctrinate in a person, that they should be at the wts's beckon call, and by not doing so, one is taking 'god's arrangement' for granted.

• Black Man
    Black Man

How about this one:

Prov. 4:18...the light of the truth gets brighter and brighter......

This scripture had nothing to do with divine truth being progressively revealed as an excuse to dump old out-of-date teachings. Instead of admitting, "hey, we had it wrong," they spin the hell outta this scripture. And of course when you look it up on the CD-Rom, there are exhaustive articles expounding on this one scriptural text. Do you know how many corporations wish they could put their mistakes off in this manner?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit