Do you keep hitting the snooze button in the morning?

by Elsewhere 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I think I need one of these!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/04/04/spark.clocky/index.html

Clever clock stops you sleeping late

(CNN) -- If you are not a morning person and find it difficult to get out of bed, then "Clocky" might be the thing to improve the start of your day.

A scientist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) has invented the clever device, which will defy even the most determined alarm clock "snoozers."

Research associate Gauri Nanda's two-wheeled "Clocky" automatically rolls off the bedside table when the alarm goes off and the snooze button is pressed.

It travels around the room and its carpet-covered surface bumps into objects that come into its path, until it finds a resting place.

"Minutes later, when the alarm sounds again, the sleeper must get up out of bed and search for Clocky," says the 25-year-old scientist.

"This ensures that the person is fully awake before turning it off."

An internal processor helps it find a new hiding spot every day.

"I don't like being told when to wake up but I've come to terms with the idea that I have to," says Nanda.

"Clocky is less of an annoying device as it is a troublesome pet that you love anyway. It's also a bit ugly. But its unconventional look keeps the user calm, and inspires laughter at one of the most-hated times of the day."

She said having the alarm clock hide was the most obvious way to get snoozers out of bed.

"I've been known to hit the snooze bar for up to two hours or even accidentally turn it off. I've known people who put the alarm clock in the living room, but then forget to set it before going to sleep.

"In the foggy logic of our drowsiness, we disable the very device that is meant to wake us up."

At the moment, Clocky is an academic research project and not commercially available.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I wonder what would happen if the alarm went off after rolling under the bed!!!

*** Heads to the kitchen to get a broom ***

• chrissee
    chrissee

I hate waking in the morning!! Of course, I'd be cursing this thing when I couldn't find it to turn it off!!

• Scully
    Scully

Once the alarm goes off, I'm awake. Mr Scully is a liberal user of a snooze button. He wakes me up at least an hour before I need to get up and keeps hitting that snooze button until the last possible moment he can stay in bed.

I think I'll buy that thing for him to let him know just how rude he is to wake me up before I need to get up.

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

I definitely need one of those - I hate it when my alarm clock goes off in the middle of a dream - makes me groggy for the rest of the day.

FF

• missy04
    missy04

LMAO!!! Exactly what I need!!! I hit the snooze button at least 10 times before I get out of bed...and I have been known to throw an alarm across the room......

I now have a radio alarm clock.....waking up to Linkin Park next to your ear full blast "Shuttt uppppp when I'm talkinnnn to youuuuu!!!! Shadduppp!!!!!" has a way of waking you up real fast.

I think I might want to buy myself a clocky!!! I think it would put me in a goofy mood for the day if I had to crawl under my bed to catch my alarm clock!!!

~Sarah

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

I rarely use the snooze button. Rather, I set the alarmclock for anywhere from a half hour to a full two hours later from the time I planned to get up. And still I feel like going back to sleep.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I will guess that those of you that hit the snooze aren't the ones who get up with the kids?

• fairchild
    fairchild

I use two alarm clocks, because a single one is not enough to wake me up in the morning. Both my alarm clocks are a half hour fast, which gives me the opportunity to hit that snooze button about 3 times. It's pretty simple, you can't get me IN bed and you can't get me OUT of bed. Always been that way. Having an alarm clock that goes hiding on me wouldn't last too long, I'd probably smash it after a couple of days. I'm not a very nice person in the morning, even the cat knows and respects that.

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

brilliant!

it might just work for me as long as I hide the hammer in the closet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit