Question for the ExJW's

by ExmormonRobertson 14 Replies latest jw friends

• philo
    philo

Amazing: Good summary. YOu are either viewed as 'weak' by a nice congregation, or 'wicked' by a nasy one.

philo

• ladonna
    ladonna

Yep,

Weak, wicked, or immoral!!!!

Ana

Some Birds Were Not Meant To Be Caged

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

I can remember multitudes of talks warning us about the inevitability of falling into gross sin and wickedness if we should ever leave the protection and good influence of Jehovah's organization and people.

It was almost a given, therefore, that anyone who left either left because they were involved in some horrendous sin, or that they would shortly be wanton, aimless, drunks, or caught up totally in hedonistic materialism.

Many active JWs recount stories of their lives prior to becoming JWs. They tell tales of lives lived in the gutter, and how they were saved by becoming a JW. Of course, this part is most likely true. Then, however, they go on to state that they would not want to go back to that kind of life, and they are grateful to remain JWs. As far as they are concerned, leaving the organization is concomitant with lapsing back into whatever they were doing previously...sort of like Cinderella's pumpkin coach at Midnight.

• mustang
    mustang

XMR,

No one addressed your #2: Someone in the Church had hurt their feelings.

This does underlie many leavings, however. Someone w/in the last couple of months actually said that they told the Elders this on a "shepherding call". ("Shepherding calls" are when the Elders come to visit the "weak". Anything can happen here, from encouragement to return to meetings, etc. to an investigation. That could set the stage for a Judicial Committee meeting.)

Anyway, they indicated that they rightly were able to say that they had been avoided or snubbed by other members. This was before any real "weakness" was evident on their part. The Elders left "with their tails between their legs" so to speak.

I personally believe this should be pushed to the hilt. More people should proclaim this one, at least on the start of "the way out". Since the "guilt trip" is a major weapon here, strike back and strike first. (I have calculated that my father pulled the guilt trip over 600 times after I left home. My first resistances were met with 'not showing proper respect', again a chapter of the guilt trip. I have fulfilled the scriptural admonition to 'forgive 70 x 7'.)

It sounds like lots of people voice the opinion that someone
    'stumbled them' in the Mormons, since you mentioned it. Right or wrong?

It sounds like you have the same shepherding calls and peer pressure from relatives.

Mustang

• ExmormonRobertson
    ExmormonRobertson

"It sounds like lots of people voice the opinion that someone
    'stumbled them' in the Mormons, since you mentioned it. Right or wrong?"

Good question, and actualy the one my family uses when they tell people why I left the Church. It's not true, sure there has been member I didn't get along with in the LDS Church, but if I still had faith in the beliefs of that Church, I wouldn't risk my salvation over it, that would be stupid. But by claiming this as the reason for me and others for leaving they don't have to deal with the real reason I left, it simply isn't true. It's a form of defense to protect them and the church isn't to blame. I was curious if JW's pulled the same trick, how could anyone with the true knowledge of God and his plan leave? It can't be the Watchtowers fault (of the Mormon Church's) they were offended, that's the real reason, or they can't live the standards. I'm a better Mormon today (by their rules and regulations) then I ever was as a active member. My family can't deal with that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit