Personal "God" and self-representation

by Narkissos 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

It is commonly assumed that monotheism, in its Jewish, Christian and Moslem forms, resulted in (or was related to) a specific development of human self-representation. Before a unique Creator and Judge the individual had to stand as an indivisible unit (e.g. the "soul" in the Middle Ages) which was either justified or condemned, either saved or lost. Since the 19th century the problems of this conception have been pointed out in many ways in human sciences, and it has often been suggested that the cultural "death of God" logically implies a certain "death of Man" (as a self-contained subject).

As many of us distantiated ourselves from monotheism in a number of ways, I'd like to ask this theoretical question in an experiential form: if you don't believe in a personal God anymore, (how) did this affect your personal self-representation? Are you, for instance, more tolerant of your (and others') own diversity and contradictions? How do you articulate unity and diversity within yourself and around you?

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

with the death of a personal god representation came the realization of the oneness of all things which I am a part and so it is really all me... there came an awareness of many AND one at the same time.

in Acts 17:28 paul quotes a pagan pantheist who seems to sum it up nicely

in HIM we live and move and have our being

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

As I am mercifully free from the ravages of such intelligent conversation I am off to the adult & heated debate section for some light hearted banter.

*scratches head in a confused manner*

DB

• Satanus
    Satanus

It is like waking up from a dream and finding myself. It got rid of rigid black and white thinking. It put everything into a fuzzy focus. Ultimately, nothing matters, all will pass. Wake me up when the bar closes. Point me to the door.

S going from one dream to another

• upside/down
    upside/down

Without sounding "religious"... I am a MUCH BETTER human now than I was as a Dub. I was a "good" Dub, but very ignorant.

"You don't know what you don't know"!!!

I have almost eliminated being judgemental in most matters. What a relief! So much more positive energy for the things that really matter in life.

I actually feel I now represent the image portrayed in the Bible of the Christ much better now, than I ever did before- for what it's worth.

Life is simpler (kinda free form) and I tend to go with the flow and not fight everything (very Zen) and I am definitely at peace with myself as never experienced before. "God" isn't the necessity that organized religion brain washed me into believing. There is no fear. I think this is how "God" wants men to be... not the way "religion" paints the picture.

I've finally found my "happy place", so to speak.

I haven't been happy in such a long time... I think I deserve it despite what the high control fundies think!

u/d (of the can't articulate this stuff very easily class)

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

i don't think my rejection of the concept of a personal god changed me that much, maybe only in two ways:

- i don't feel guilty for enjoying my life. this probably has to do more with JWism, but is also somehow connected to the belief in a personal god.

- i put more trust in humans. medical improvements, scientific developments, efforts for peace, organizations protecting human rights/environmental issues/animal life and so on.

the atheist JW i am.

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

On the one hand,culturaly the death of God seems to have liberated a self contained individual (perhaps the legacy of monotheism) from guilt. Getting beyond disillusionment the guiltless, while existing , seek and find a more authentic spiritual experience with what is and they feel compassion . They do not imitate , they simply are transformed.

In this way the Death of God is an assault on man's ego and the idea, traveling through culture to the individual ( the mind set of monotheism), is a step toward liberation. An enlightened culture is at last possible and we see "Spiritual " movements on the rise.

On the other hand, the idea, traveling through culture has assisted the growth of "Consumerism" and the "self-contained individual" who once looked to God now looks to Consumer Culture for absolution. In that sense there is a new "self-contained individual", less sensitive and very materialistic. He has been liberated into the arms of Corporations.

I don't know how else to answer the questions . You have equated the issue of "Gods cultural death" to one's awakening to that issue through the JW experience. While that may have some validity, the cultural effect of God's death operates within all organized religions (including JW) regardless of dogma. Coming out of JW merely allowed more expression of some of those effects.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

The death of a personal god -- as has already been mentioned -- may be simply a reflection of a superficial shifting of characters within a story whose script pretty much remains the same. In this way the absence of a personal god leaves a vacuum which is quickly filled with other things like materialism, patriotism, or whatever.

On the other hand, the death of a personal god may be a reflection of a deeper death of the ego. Here the personal god dissolves because the person who gave it meaning is dissolving. Then, there is no thing to block or inhibit the realization that all is sacred. The Alfa and Omega.

j

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Thanks for your very interesting responses.

Whereas my question was originally limited to the conscious tolerance of diversity within oneself and other "individuals," by people who have personally drifted away from monotheistic belief (JW's or other), Siddhashunyata raises some further important and related questions, such as:

- How does the cultural "death of God" affect the self-representation of ongoing monotheistic communities and "individual believers" within a secular and pluralistic society?

- How does the "individual soul made a consumer" represent itself? Or, if I may put it this way, is the balance of one's bank account the only unifying place left in the life of multi-faced people involved in many activities (job, family, hobbies, religion, politics, associations, etc. -- and even internet boards)?

JT, although I know you mean to say something "beyond language", I can't help voicing the semantic devil's objection: inasmuch as meaning comes from difference between signifiers, if "all is sacred" nothing is "sacred" anymore (the very meaning of "sacred" rests on the antithesis sacred/profane)...

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

You're correct Narkissos, in that what I was referring is beyond the duality of language.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit