how close are humans to a world-wide power outage?

by doogie 23 Replies latest jw friends

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    (right now it is in Canada, not the North Pole with Santa)

But, I mean, jeepers! How is Santa going to know where to deliver my presents if his compass does not work anymore??

J

• seawolf
    seawolf
    But, I mean, jeepers! How is Santa going to know where to deliver my presents if his compass does not work anymore??

Joe Hoba will guide him.

• doogie
    doogie
    It's apocalypticism in a new wrapper

odd...it sure seems like the old one is still working so well...

• Satanus
    Satanus
    they aren't making any more fossil fuel.

This is a misconception. Check out this statement.

"The deepest fossil ever found has been at about 16,000 feet below sea level; yet we are getting oil from wells drilled to 30,000 and more. How could fossil fuel get down there? If it was once living matter, it had to be on the surface. If it did turn into petroleum, at or near the surface,how could it ever get to such depths? What is heavier Oil or Water?"

Also, the moon titan has been found to have abundant methane. From where did it come? Biotic or abiotic?

Jan. 27, 2005

FRANKFURT, Germany - Saturn's largest moon contains all the ingredients for life, but senior scientists studying data from a European probe ruled out the possibility Titan's abundant methane stems from living organisms.

More than a week after the Huygens probe plunged through Titan's atmosphere, researchers continue to pore over data collected for clues to how the only celestial body known to have a significant atmosphere other than Earth came to be and whether it can provide clues to how life arose here.

Initial findings have revealed an abundance of methane on the surface of Titan ? the first moon other than Earth's to be explored ? which is crucial to supporting its thick atmosphere. But scientists are still puzzling over the origin of the methane.

"This methane cannot be coming from living organisms," Jean-Pierre Lebreton, mission manager for the Huygens probe that landed on the surface of Titan Jan. 14, told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

Rivers and reservoirs Images snapped by the 750-pound (340-kilogram) probe as it parachuted through Titan's atmosphere from the Cassini orbiter show the moon's surface was cut by a weather system leaving deep river beds and large reservoirs, implying activity by liquid methane.

But unlike water in Earth's atmosphere that continually renews itself, methane is destroyed by ultraviolet light, so Titan must have a source deep inside, scientists said.

Based on data collected by Huygens' instruments, Sushil Atreya, a professor of planetary science at the University of Michigan, believes a hydrogeological process between water and rocks deep inside the moon could be producing the methane.

"I think the process is quite likely in the interior of Titan," Atreya said in a telephone interview.

The process is called serpentinization and is basically the reaction between water and rocks at 212 to 752 degrees Fahrenheit (100 to 400 degrees Celsius), he said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6876518/

S

Ps, it's a short step down to go from methane to crude oil.

• doogie
    doogie

satanus-

i hadn't heard of abiotic fuels of serpentinization before today. thanks for the info. i was under the impression that the oil we're drilling is ONLY super-compressed/decomposed biological matter and nothing else. is that not entirely true? or have we yet to gain the ability to tap abiotic fuels? wait...i re-read the first part of your post...nevermind

yet another thing i need to read more about (i'll never catch up with this friggin book list. being content in my ignorance is starting to look pretty darn good.)

• Satanus
    Satanus

Doogie

Reading about titan, i find it hilarious how a scientist can suddenly explain the whole creation of methane from rocks and water process, a process that supposedly does not exist, well not on earth, at least. Or does it?

S

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    yet another thing i need to read more about (i'll never catch up with this friggin book list. being content in my ignorance is starting to look pretty darn good.)

I know what you mean, Doogie! You should see my Amazon bill this month.. Yikes! You guys give way too much homework!! My brain is melting!

J

• Mary
    Mary

this is without a doubt, the most depressing article i've ever read

If it's that depressing, we should see it coming out in either the Watchtower or Awake magazine in the not too distant future.

• doogie
    doogie

S:

Reading about titan, find it hilarious how a scientist can suddenly explain the whole creation of methane from rocks and water process

yeah, well...who's gonna prove him wrong?

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

its not well publicized but there are cars which run on nothing more than compressed air.

The car's air tanks will be refilled thanks to the engine working in compressor mode. This will take about six hours. Otherwise the tanks can be refilled with high pressure in three minutes at an air station. The cost of refueling with the generator will be approximately 1.5 Euros.

http://www.theaircar.com/faq.html#p6

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit