My Stupid JW Mother and her Circular/Warped Reasoning

by Wild_Thing 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I am so upset right now that I cannot even get my thoughts clear enough to explain what just happened. I just know I need to VENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Background: My 17 yr. old neice doesn't want to be a Witness. (My mother told me that she would not even be considering it if *I* had not left. Yeah for me!) So basically, the fam is insisting that she go to the meetings and she is not allowed to have "worldly" friends. She is forced to have a "study" with my mother every week so she can "examine" for herself the "truths". The flip side of this is that my neice has a lot of emotional problems due to having the crappiest parents on earth, and so is pretty imature about a lot of things. Basically, she has taken the stance that if they won't allow her to have any freedom in that area, then she is going to rebel in all other areas. And by rebel, I do not mean anything serious. I mean she will not clean her room, go to school willingly, do any school work, or anything else. I think she is extremely depressed, and is it any wonder???? She is shooting herself in the foot, but she just doens't see it. The family is taking the other extreme. Basically, if she will not make friends with Witnesses, then she cannot any friends period.

SO NOW TODAY:
    My mother called me and told me that I need to be careful about letting my neice "play" me. She said she *knows* <my neice> has been coming to me and telling me *her* side of things. My mother said she is only coming to me because she knows she will get my sympathy and <my neice> will go to anybody to get sympathy. I said, "Who else CAN she go to talk about it?"

My mother said she can go to talk to any of the family about it (who are are all JWs). And I said, "And will they listen and try to help?"

She said, "Well, they won't give her sympathy like she wants if that's what you're asking! Like I said she only comes to YOU for sympathy." I again told her, "Like I said, who else CAN she go to?"

My mother tried to tell me that <my neice> is refusing to even *try* to be friends with any of the witnesses. I told her that is because she doesn't want to be a Witness, she doesn't fit in with the Witness kids, and she wouldn't be allowed to associate with them beyond a superficial friendship anyway because she is considered "weak." She again tried to tell me that I am only getting one side of it. So then what is the other side?

Well apparently, <my neice> DOES have the option to have worldly friends *IF* she will make friends with witnesses first for a certain period of time and *TRY* to be a Witness. This is all according to my mother.

So we ended up going around and around and around about all us and never really got anywhere! I kept asking, "So are you saying that she could have non-JW and she is just not choosing to? I think we should tell because she told me that she does not even try anymore because she knows she's not allowed." This and similar questions were never answered with a straight YES or NO. It was always, "There is more to it than that." or "The question isn't that simple." Whatever!

I told her I wish the family would focus more on helping my neice see the need to be a good, descent, responsible person, regardless if she is a JW or not, instead of just focusing on making go to meeting etc. and go through the motions. Again, she would start talking in circles again, basically saying that is what they are TRYING to do and <my neice> is just won't even try to study, blah, blah, blah. I said, "Did you even HEAR what I just said?" She said she did so I asked her to repeat it back.

"You think that we should make her go to meetings and give her more freedom." NO!!!!!! "Listen carefully! I said I think you focus more on helping her become a good responsible person instead of just thinking it will happen automatically if she goes through the motions of being a Witness."

She said, "Well, you are trying to separate the two and you just can't do that." In other words, if she is Witness, she will be a good responsible person. I GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My neice's mother (also my sister through no fault of my own) has told her that as long as she lives under her roof she will have to be witness. So my neice has two options. Be a witness or get out.

Throughout the conversation, I would try to say something, like, "The harder you put your thumb on her, the harder she is going to buck." or when my mother trying she does have more choice, I said, "So when she does become old enough to make that decision, are you going to try to emotionally blackmail her to be a witness like you did me?" "Again," she said, "make sure you are not confusing *her* with *you*. That is how *you* view it ... as emotional blackmail." I said, "Oh, that is EXACTLY what it was."

I ended it by telling her that she need not worry about me talking to <my neice> and encouraging her not to be witness. I never have. SERIOUSLY! I told her she has come to me on a handful of occasions and I just listen and let her vent. I do tell her that there will come a day when she will have a choice and she has to start preparing for it now by taking her education seriously, etc. so she will be able to have more options later. I just try to give her hope that it will not always be her being the kid under their authority. I didn't tell my mother that.

There is actually a lot more that happened about in the conversation later that made me more upset than this issue with me neice, but this is getting so long, I should save it for another post.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Well apparently, <my neice> DOES have the option to have worldly friends *IF* she will make friends with witnesses first for a certain period of time and *TRY* to be a Witness. This is all according to my mother.

Oh puh-leez. What a load of crap they're dumping on this girl.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

The statement that your niece has the option of making "worldly" friends AFTER making Jo Ho ones is just a stunt. This is in the same vein as "Give the truth 1 year and then we'll respect your decision if you choose not to." Or "Give pioneering just one year to see if it's for you. It's the incrementalism that makes me puke. Carrot and stick, carrot and stick, stick and carrot!

When I was baptised in my youth no matter what I did it was never good enough. I'd get 20 hours of field service in each month of summer instead of getting a "Good Job!!!" from the elders I'd get, "Wasn't that spiritual? Now just think how much better you'll feel when you auxillary pioneer." So I'd auxillary pioneer for a month. THen it became.... "Why don't you just pioneer full time?" Never enough.

Some how your family thinks (as to most Jo Ho's) that as long as they drag their kids to meetings and service somehow they will turn out ok. Don't spend quality time with them. Don't develop a strong bond with them. Don't let them have UNCONDITIONAL love. Just drag their butts to meetings. What a horrible way to live.

I'm so glad I broke that circle of stupidity.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Hi, WT.

17 is so close to 18 and freedom. Kids at that age are so frustrated by being held back and strapped to a religion they don't believe. I feel so bad for your niece.

It's a very sensitive time for you and her both. If your mom feels that you are encouraging your niece to rebel, she may cut off communications with you entirely. I'd play this one really carefully...

Maybe just continue to provide the vent space for your niece like you have been doing, and always remind her that the time is really close for her to be able to leave it if she wants to.

Is she planning on taking your advice and pursuing education?

Jeannie

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing
    Is she planning on taking your advice and pursuing education?

She has yet to take my advice on this. She was an A-B student and she was even in the gifted program at her school, now she is failing and will likely NOT be a senior next year. Like I said she is digging her hole deeper. I is giving me lip service that she realized that now and "she'll do better" but I will not believe it until I see it. There are just too many other factors that enter into the equation. I wrote a little more about her situation if you want to read it on this thread:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/87166/1.ashx

I have so much more to say, but I don't have time!

I know I need to tread carefully or they will cut off association, which I why I continually reassure them that I have not and will not persuade or encourage her to leave, only "vent" etc. I do try to give her hope, though, but at this age she cannot see beyond what is 10 feet in front of her. My neice will need to realize that will have to step up to the plate and take charge of her own future no matter what it is.

• jwbot
    jwbot

Encourage her to talk to her school couselor. She needs help! I was in the same boat but held on till I went to college and it was much easier to leave then. I lived in a dorm. Wow she needs to get her license too! But she can still go to college and not have a car, I know students who do this, they just live on campus and get rides (and we have a good bus system - students ride free). I just do not get why she does not follow your advice. I remember being 17 all to well and I was able to figure out on my own that I needed to get out by going to college...but I had to get over my depression FIRST (because I too wanted to die and saw myself as dead). When I figured it out for myself, my grades improved and I was accepted to the University of Maine and I am so glad I am here. If she wants a person closer to her age who has "been there, done that" feel free to give her my email: [email protected]

• alw
    alw

wild thing, sorry to read your post today, it is so charged with emotion im afraid you might say something to your mum you will regret,you dont want to put her offside of yourself if you can help it.

its good to vent on here with us who understand how you feel, but please be careful with your mum who is still under the illusion that the borg. is still the best thing since sliced bread.she wont see things the way we do .

your neice has to make her own decisions in life, and i think its great that she confides in you.however have you thought about playing the role of negotiator, im sure you have, just take a little time to calm down and try to be the peacemaker.

as for your neices' parents offer of " make friends of jws and then you can have worldly friends" it is a carrot she will never receive,i once tried a similiar trick with my son when i was brainwashed in the borg. i was hoping he would eventually forget it and we still would have opposed his worldly friends.

i do hope things work out for you both,when you feel like you are getting up tight, count to ten, slow down,and im sure you will benefit. mr. alw

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    17 is so close to 18 and freedom. Kids at that age are so frustrated by being held back and strapped to a religion they don't believe

THANK YOU!!! Now That's ^^ Food at the appropriate time!! Preach it sister!

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

You know, if she really wants to be free from the JW chains and she can't because her family is standing in the way, I believe that, if its serious enough, she can go to Child Welfare and complain that her parents are using coercive measures to try to enforce religion on her, it violates her first amendment rights. If you get a good enough lawyer, you can easily force the parents to pay for her upkeep until she is 18. Of course, it depends on how bad it is and the law in each individual state.

I wish you both the peace of Christ.

• Daunt
    Daunt

Im in such a similar situation that it is somewhat scary. Im 17 and live with parents that are pretty much JW associates or no associates at all but your neice seems to be in a very serious situation. You need to really remind her that the way that she views herself and the real world is most important thing to her. Try to get her to see that her opinions about life are very valuable and worthwhile. The meetings tell her to do away with her thinking, and pulls down her hope on the real world. Try not to coerce her into doing anything though.... Wont be much better than her parents. If all else fails she can always come on here and talk to a few people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit