the NWT

by trinity83 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

With a little more study you will find that all translations involve interpretation. The NWT really is not all that bad. A few rather glaring stretches but by and large respectable. The relatively small differences in translations have very little bearing on why we were JWs. The belief system and church structure existed prior to the NWT and would have grown without it. The NWT was not to blame for our uncritical acceptance of the antisocial doctrine and hierchal control. Endless debates about translating may simply be distraction from facing the real issues of Bible errancy and our own lack of critical thinking.

• cyborgVision
    cyborgVision

lol Honesty, not forgetting of course we are talking about ancient Hebrew and ancient Greek, which many natives of these lands have difficulty in understanding.

just to add: if you want to learn Hebrew here is your good start http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/7_home.html

• myelaine
    myelaine

the NWT just doesn't sound right when you read it out loud, the speech is too....umm...abrupt?...cold? there is nothing poetic in their choice of words. Do you know what I mean?Other than that the message still comes through.

michelle

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

I think the NWT is a bad translation, but I want to be fair: I haven't seen one scholar from a cited source review the NWT. So we really don't know fo sure how bad it really is.

• trinity83
    trinity83

I know how bad it is because i've compared it with other bibles. They changed punctuation just to suit their needs. Many other word changed and added words. It frustrated the heck out of me because they aren't letting their members see things for themselves. Everything jw's are allowed to look at that not branded apostate stuff is doctered by them because they are a cult trying to control what the members see. With their bible...the members can't look up something for themselves in a un-biased bible...they can only look at the jw bible thats made to fit their needs. ARRRRRR.....it makes me madder than the devil on a sunday!!!

I'm so thankful i got out of that mind controlling cult.

• zugzwang
    zugzwang

Welcome to the true paradise cafe, enjoy your stay and preach on. Amen sister!

• JW Ben
    JW Ben

Those men mentioned in the first post on this topic were all refering to John 1:1 mainly and what they thought was a mistranslation or abuse of what is known as Colwells rule. Unfortunately they were wrong. The NWT does nort violate Colwells rule at Jihn 1:1 and the modern schollars agree. Howevewr these modern scholars prefer the tradition rendering of John 1:1 on theologiac basis.

The NWT is with out a dout the most accurate Bible available today. Like all Bibles it has its problems as no Bible in existance 100% reflects the original. I use about 30 Bibles several non JW commentaries and various Greek and Hebrew Lexicons to comapre various texts, Most people forget that the English language has a strange way of putting sentences together even commpared to most modern languages. Every English Bible MUST add words into the text to create a meaning that sounds right to the readers.

When you read the Bible use many different versions especially those with footnotes and you will find a great variety of ways to translate passages.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit