the NWT

by trinity83 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• trinity83
    trinity83

Numerous Greek and Biblical scholars have declared that the NWT is a poor and biased translation.

The late Dr. Walter Martin observed that of the anonymous seven-member translation committee at least five had no training in Greek: "These books possess a veneer of scholarship unrivaled for its daring and boldness in a field that all informed scholars know Jehovah's Witnesses are almost totally unprepared to venture into. As a matter of fact, the authors have been able to uncover partially a carefully guarded Watchtower secret; the names of five of the member of the New World Translation committee. Not one of these five people has any training in Greek...(or Hebrew).

Dr. Julius Mantey a leading Greek scholar in the world stated: "I have never read any New Testament so badly translated as The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures. In fact, it is not their translation at all. Rather, it is a distortion of the New Testament. The translators used what J.B. Rotherham had translated in 1893, in modern speech, and changed the reading in scores of passages to state what Jehovah's Witnesses believe and teach. That is distortion, not translation."

Wondering what y'all though about this. -trinity83

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Absolutely agree. As a JW, I thought the NWT was spot on, scholarly, the whole bit. But after getting out of the Watchtower and reading up on what the outside world says, it's clear that they were only writing a version that agrees with them.

Welcome to JWD!

Dave

• FairMind
    FairMind

And to think that they spin it as if they restored what others had distorted. Scary!

• Honesty
    Honesty

Freddie Franz

G. Gangas

Milton Henschel

A.D. Schroeder

N.H. Knorr

Those losers couldn't even translate English to English so what makes anyone believe they could translate Greek and Hebrew to English

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

"And to think that they spin it as if they restored what others had distorted. Scary!"

So they feel distorting the distortion resolves any distortion... or something~! =D

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Trinity83... you do know you are at an ex-jw site, right? Something like this would be a lot more fun lobbed into a site for current jw's. Let us know how that goes, won't you? lol

J

• trinity83
    trinity83

oh yes....i am a user at the paradise cafe...pretty much strictly for jw's but there a few non-jws like me on there....but i can't post anything considered "apostate material". I don't want to get kicked out of there...i want to help save anyone i can from that cult...:)

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

It'd still be funny though. Although, if their mod's are as fast as ours, it wouldn't stay up for long! hahaha

J

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

I have broched this subject with JDub's and the common response is quite amazing. It's usually on the lines of, 'God inspired uneducated men to write the correct version. It had to be inspired, or else they wouldn't have been able to write the correct version'. Now if that's not cult brainwashing then I'm officially a banana!

steve

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    Now if that's not cult brainwashing then I'm officially a banana!

LOL

Yeah, arguing with a die-hard witness is a little *like* arguing with a banana, too.

J

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit