VM44

Near the beginning of the book, "The Orwellian World of Jehovah's
    WItnesses," one of the authors gives a personal experience where
    he and others were treated by Fred Franz to a meal at a chinese
    restaurant.

This was a very nice thing for Fred Franz to do, but one wonders
    how he could pay for everyone using only the small monthly allowances
    Bethel peopole receive.

He must have used his WT expense account to pay for the meal.

--VM44

• Seeker
    Seeker

Bethelites are given money by the friends on the outside that they meet. The bigger you are, the more likely you are to get money. Franz was as big as it gets. To pay for that meal, he probably used money he was given.

• ExmormonRobertson
    ExmormonRobertson

Seeker:
    Explain how that works will you?

• Seeker
    Seeker

Dana,

Very informally. Bethelites go to local congregations, and while there one of the brothers or sisters could go up to them and say, "Here, this is for you." Or maybe friends and family back home will send them money.

Everyone knows that Bethelites don't make much money, so oftentimes local friends will try to make up for it with private gifts. Totally unforced, totally voluntary, usually done quietly. It's a good deal for the Bethelites, but there is nothing overtly wrong with it, other than the general spirit of glorifying Bethelites that can occur in places.

• Maximus
    Maximus

Seeker is right, there was no expense account. FWF would not have been able to do the paperwork anyway ... When he traveled--and one year he went around the world--folks would slip him cash either in his palm or in envelopes, but nothing on the grand scale that takes place today.

Freddie certainly didn't spend his money on clothing!

He could be quite generous to anyone, especially those NOT prominent, such as missionaries or others who were in no position to pick up a tab.

Other notables would pick up checks too, for different reasons. Grant Suiter, when taken to a regular Manhattan restaurant when doing a preconvention radio show, would turn up his nose, refuse to go in, and instead take his hosts to one of NY's finest, for the best cuisine.

Max

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

HMMM is that how some of the 'vow of poverty' Bethlites drive Lexus's????

Ven

"The best way to convince a fool that he is wrong, is to let him have his own way."---Josh Billings

• Seeker
    Seeker

Yes, Ven.

Of course, a few Bethelites make their mark in the business world before going to Bethel with a specialized skill. Some of those Bethelites have money going in, and since their living expenses then drop to nil, they can afford to lease a Lexus if they want to.

• mike047
    mike047

Are these "gifts" taxed?

• Kismet
    Kismet

It is up to each individual to keep track of these gifts and declare them accordingly.

Let's put it this way. Bethelites make approx $5,000 a year including all taxable benefits provided by the Society. I never received more the $1000 dollars in any given year (much of that was done doing odd jobs, (g jobs JT) )

So that still kept me far below the personal exemption allowed for on the tax return. So yes it was declared but no I did not have to pay tax on it since I was so far below the poverty line.

A Bethelite would have to receive a pretty hefty sum before he would have to worry about tax implications.

Back to F. Franz. I recall talking to him at Brooklyn one time when a sister came up from a tour group (she didn't stay in the designated tour lane - sigh LOL) shoved an envelop into Br. Franz' hand kissing him on the cheek and thankinghim for his years of service and sacrifice. When she left and our conversation ended he shook my hand and gave me the envelope. Didn't even look in it to see how much. Just told me to write a thank you note to the sister on his behalf. This was my second year at Bethel and was dirt poor. That gift went a long way.

This might explain one of the reasons I am bothered when I see the personal attacks made against individuals. I knew these people and saw their good sides too.

It is easier to hate an unseen enemy.

Kismet

• Englishman
    Englishman

The world today seems absolutely crackers,
    With nuclear bombs to blow us all sky high.
    There's fools and idiots sitting on the trigger.
    It's depressing and it's senseless, and that's why...

[singing]
    I like Chinese.
    I like Chinese.
    They only come up to your knees,
    Yet they're always friendly, and they're ready to please.

I like Chinese.
    I like Chinese.
    There's nine hundred million of them in the world today.
    You'd better learn to like them; that's what I say.

I like Chinese.
    I like Chinese.
    They come from a long way overseas,
    But they're cute and they're cuddly, and they're ready to please.

I like Chinese food.
    The waiters never are rude.
    Think of the many things they've done to impress.
    There's Maoism, Taoism, I Ching, and Chess.

I like Chinese.
    I like Chinese.
    I like their tiny little trees,
    Their Zen, their ping-pong, their yin, and yang-ese.

I like Chinese thought,
    The wisdom that Confucious taught.
    If Darwin is anything to shout about,
    The chinese will survive us all without any doubt.

So, I like Chinese.
    I like Chinese.
    They only come up to your knees,
    Yet they're wise and they're witty, and they're ready to please.

All together.

[verse in Chinese]
    Wo ai zhongguo ren (I like Chinese)
    Ni hao ma, ni hao ma, ni hao ma, zaijien!
    (How are you, how are you, how are you, goodbye!)

I like Chinese.
    I like Chinese.
    Their food is guaranteed to please,
    A fourteen, a seven, a nine, and lychees.

I like Chinese.
    I like Chinese.
    I like their tiny little trees,
    Their Zen, their ping-pong, their yin, and yang-ese.

I like Chinese.
    I like Chinese.
    They only come up to your knees..

Cheers, Mr. Idle!

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit