What do you know about philosophy?

by Bas 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bas
    Bas

What do you know about philosophy and philosophers? I know many philosphers who were inspired by the bible in their writings, but

I'm more curious about the "secular" philosophers. The old Greeks for instance Philosophied about morals. They were able to rationally

derive morals without "devine" inspiration. This to me proves that morals are a product of humanity itself and not given to us by some

divinity in the sky. Important Greek philosophers are; Socrates, Plato and Aristotle.

Another thing about the old Greek philosphers is that they laid the groundwork for "real science". In fact they had the hypothesis

of everything consisting of atoms before Christ was born, and almost 2000 years before this hypothesis was proven by

phycisist/chemists/mathematicians. I'll see if I can dig up some more great accomplishments of philosopy, until then please leave your

thoughts/knowledge on the topic

Bas

• trevor
    trevor

(Descartes) I think therefore I am...er...I think? But then I... um... think not, but then I am not and I am, I think? ... this is harder than I thought...I mean think, er I think!

It's all Greek to me or in this case french.

• Bas
    Bas

err....trevor, on this board the correct conclusion would be: I post, therefor I am

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Pot helps the ideas flow.

Kwin

• Bas
    Bas
    Pot helps the ideas flow.

hmmm, I honestly can't remember which Philosopher said that. Would you care to enlighten us?

• talesin
    talesin

I dunno about pot (except that I like it :D), but Timothy Leary was a 20th C. American philosopher who believed that LSD expanded the mind ... haven't read him cause I don't do acid, not really interested ...

But seriously, I love philosophy! My favorite uni course was Philosophy 101 ....

It's hard to digest some of the old Greeks because of my feminist leanings. Plato, for example, tells us that women are like beasts (?) and must be managed as such ... But, once I get past my natural prejudice, and accept that in his time this thinking was all they knew, I can enjoy his writings. Now that's an interesting perspective on the ancient Greeks, it puts a different twist on things, does it not?

I really enjoyed reading Kant, and Descartes. Also, Bertrand Russell has some interesting things to say ...

Are you going in any particular direction with this discussion?

tal

listening with a keen ear on what others have to say on this subject ...

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

:In fact they had the hypothesis of everything consisting of atoms before Christ was born, and almost 2000 years before this hypothesis was proven by phycisist/chemists/mathematicians.

I'd be interested to hear the specifics of that.

• trevor
    trevor

Bas

Thanks for helping me out there. As long as I keep on posting I know I Exist

I think that poetry contains philosophy and presents it in an enjoyable way. True it is not mind-bendingly clever but it can be deep. This offering sums up the futility of religion and there is a nice picture for those who don't like poetry. It will probably upset all the Christians who read it but then all philosophy is, by its very nature, contentious.

FitzGerald, Fifth Edition

[Rubaiyat image]
    25 Alike for those who for TO-DAY prepare,
    And those that after some TO-MORROW stare,
    A Muezzin from the Tower of Darkness cries,
    Fools! your Reward is neither Here nor There.
    26 Why, all the Saints and Sages who discuss'd
    Of the Two Worlds so wisely--they are thrust
    Like foolish Prophets forth; their Words to Scorn
    Are scatter'd, and their Mouths are stopt with Dust.
    27 Myself when young did eagerly frequent
    Doctor and Saint, and heard great argument
    About it and about: but evermore
    Came out by the same door where in I went.
  • the_classicist
    the_classicist
    What do you know about philosophy and philosophers? I know many philosphers who were inspired by the bible in their writings, but

I'm more curious about the "secular" philosophers. The old Greeks for instance Philosophied about morals. They were able to rationally

derive morals without "devine" inspiration. This to me proves that morals are a product of humanity itself and not given to us by some

divinity in the sky. Important Greek philosophers are; Socrates, Plato and Aristotle.

Actually, Greek philosophers derived their moral beliefs from Greek traditions. Plato himself was very traditional and conservative, and he even disapproved of the common Greek pratice of homosexuality.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Reading Greek philosophy is like watching the world wake up. These early stages in the human developement of reason and science were perceived as dangerous and deviant when in fact they represented the beginnings of modern sensibilty and global thinking. As I recall Socrates was killed because he renounced the mysticism of the day as unnecessary. These were men of high ethics. Socrates was said to have spoken " We ought not to retaliate nor render evil for evil to anyone" centurires before Jesus was claimed to have.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit