1st door-to-door?

by Moxy 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Moxy
    Moxy

the society tries very hard to present the idea that the door-to-door work was essentially the same in the 1st century as now. the rendering of 'door to door' in Ac5:42 creates that impression. so do the talks that discuss the missionary efforts then in modern terms (eg "Paul was making a return visit here on an interested one") Philo's hospitality question earlier shows that we have all been a bit taken in by this.

WT covers like this (4/1/01) sure help too:

isnt this quaint? naturally the disciples covered the huge areas they did just like this. did they even have doorways like this? you can just imagine the speech of the 'householder' that the cover is trying to convey. hes skeptical, "well, i.. don't.. know. im kinda busy right now, and besides, i have my own synagogue and i'm happy with that" you're not like that, are you?!? dont you get it?? you're in the exact same situation right THIS SECOND now that i'm here on your doorstep. are you rejecting Christ like this man is??

maybe the cover shouldve looked like this:

would that have made the intended message clearer?

mox

• dedalus
    dedalus

ROTFLOL!

Hey, where are the bookbags? Surely they had sheepskin bookbags or something back in the good ol' first century? Also, they don't appear to be using the offer of the month ... and who's holding the not-at-home records?

Maybe they're Mormons?

Dedalus

P.S. Oooh -- I see the bookbags now; my computer didn't finish downloading the image last time, so I missed it the first time. Whew! Too funny ...

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Is she holding a gun????? HAHHAHA this must be inner city witnessing.

Ven

"The best way to convince a fool that he is wrong, is to let him have his own way."---Josh Billings

• mommy
    mommy

Moxy
    The dub in the right, must be single! A self respecting wife would never allow her hubby to get that color bookbag. And carry it with his best floor length white and blue robe! HAHAH and it took me a minute to realize that the 12 was the house number and not a thought ballon...lol I am very blonde.
    wendy

In a controversy the instant we feel anger, we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

• somebody
    somebody

Matthew 28: 16-20 WBTS Translation of the Society Scriptures

16 However, the eleven Jehovah's Witness members went into Gal'i·lee to the mountain where the Governing Body members had arranged for them, 17 and when they saw them they did obeisance, but some gagged. 18 And the Governing Body of men approached and spoke to them, saying: "All authority has been given us in heaven and on the earth. 19 Go therefore and fill out and submit your applications to be approved or rejected by us to make publishers of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and in association with the Watchtower Bible and Tracts Society Incorporated, 20 teaching them to observe all the things that we have commanded YOU. And, look! we are with YOU all the days until you stop doing obeisance to us."

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Moxy,

Too funny man!!! I love it! And how ridiculous to think that it was done exactly like that in the 1st century...btw, I thought these guys looked like a couple of anal elders dressed in their wives' best drapes!

Gwen,

Loved the sarcasm babe!!

Love,
    Dana

"Someday we'll find it...the rainbow connection...the lovers, the dreamers and me"

Kermit the Frog
    "Rainbow Connection"

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Moxy,

great post, and excellent comments, from
    you all the others who have answered.
    Surely the preaching of the 1st century was " ENTIRELY "
    different from the past century and even today.
    After all C.T. Russell preached, and was not alone...
    that Jesus Christ was PRESENT since 1874!!!
    Rutheford preached , and not alone, that Jesus Christ
    had been present since 1914!!!

What next???

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

• Ustabee
    Ustabee

This doesn't look anything like my door to door experiences. The householder actually looks like he's LISTENING! That can't be!

• outnfree
    outnfree

Moxy,

Finally I find your comedy thread!

Nice work! lolololololol

outnfree
    (who also was "very blonde" about the house number for a minute there, wendy! -- I thought perhaps it referred to The Twelve? )

• Moxy
    Moxy

ok cmon its an ornate house number # 12 and below is a doorknob. get it?? haha!

please respect my photoshop skillz!

mox

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit