Just can't get this out of my head

by jt stumbler 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Hi Confession - here is a true story:

6 years ago my boyfriends parents gave us their airmiles and we went to Las Vegas for a couple of weeks. I loved the place so much that when I came back I bored my friends to death with going on and on and on about it for months after the holiday. I bought a pink skin tight tshirt sequinned with the words vegas and barely a day went by without me wishing, without expecting it to happen, that I would get to go again. I knew we couldnt afford to and that it was not going to happen for many years and only if I managed to save up. I've never been a great saver on account of thinking - why keep the money in the bank when it might just get destroyed at Armageddon when I could be eating/drinking/smoking/wearing something it.

One day I was lounging in my boyfriends lounge while he was in the bathroom and saw something in the bin (trash) with Marlboro Lites on it - so I plucked it out and it turned out to be a competition. It included 4 questions and a tie breaker the tie breaker being which American city would you like to go to and why in 15 words.

I wrote down "I would like to go to Las VEgas because they welcome smokers" (For anyone who hasn;t been once you get across the border from California there is a huge sign saying Nevada welcomes California smoking.

Anyway I wished/prayed for something really hard and in less than a year I had beaten all the odds through a tremendous,some would say, series of coincidences.

Now do I think that God did this? Nope and no more reason why you should think that he did with you. I agree its difficult not to see significance in it, but try to resist the temptation. Count up the coincidences that are definitely non God related that happen to you in one week and you'll be surprised. Hubby bringing home exactly what you fancied for dinner without you having said a word, friend ringing exactly at the moment you are wondering why they haven;t called in so long, or (TJKMO) listening to exactly the same track of music as someone else hundreds of miles away when its a barely known artist and you only got the album last week!

• upside/down
    upside/down

Pray for all the children in hospitals dying of diseases be cured!

If that happens, by all means prostrate yourself before your deity and tell me so I can join you!

u/d (of the I'm lookin over a four leaf clover class)

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

I think we answer our own prayers on most of this stuff, just by "finding" some meaning (real or imagined) in the daily events of our lives. If you had opened the door to find an encyclopedia salesman, would you have taken that as a sign from God that you should start selling encyclopedia sets instead of the borg's little books & magazines?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit