Does anyone feel that their abilty 2 make money has been influenced by WT?

by theotherside 21 Replies latest jw friends

• theotherside
    theotherside

We were told so many times that we were slaves 2 not only God but anyone in a secular position of authority. So I feel that this only encouraged a subordinate and non confortational attitude with our employers. Almost 2 the point that that even those of us who are self employed never get 2 develope the killer instinct that is needed 2 compete in the business world. Anybody feel me?

• moanzy
    moanzy

I found it hard to compete and don't seem to have that competitive drive to succeed to the best of my ability. The worst was when I started to rub off on my husband who is successful. I could have cost us so much.

Dean tells me to dream and believe. And he aint talkin about no paradise of organization!!!!!

Moanzy

• yesidid
    yesidid

Was a Witness. Didn't have a "killer instinct". I had a very successful business.

yesidid

• theotherside
    theotherside

Yes didnt say it wasnt possible 2 have success but did you reach FULL earning potential without Wt agenda of organizational proscribed agenda of what 2 strive 4? No wordly career , no college, dont use the world 2 the full and avoid materialism?

• blondie
    blondie

I don't know...maybe you didn't have that "killer instinct" naturally and being a JW gave you permission to be yourself.

I always had the means to take responsibility for myself in and out of the organization. I am not naturally an aggressive person.

Many non-JW people don't have aggressive tendencies in the workplace and seem to be happy at the wage level they are at.

Several people I work with refuse to compete for a higher position because they don't want the stress and headaches that come with it. One man said he had enough responsibilities at home taking care of a sick wife and teenagers than to try for a high level job. Another woman could make more money if she moved but doesn't want to uproot her family to make the cross country move it would take. Running a successful business takes a great deal of work and motivation.

Not wanting to offend, I think many of us let the WTS be the reason to give into our personal fears about our abilities. Once that is removed, then we have to take a good long look at our situation and realize that we are in the drivers seat. I have been happy to see many people on this board have and are going back to school even in their 30's, 40's, 50's to complete their education to get employment they enjoy and perhaps that pays more money.

Blondie (could make more money but doesn't need the hassle)

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

I've always been ambitious and that 'marked' me in the congregation as I stayed at school til 18 rather than pioneering. I did see some guys my own age worn down by the bullshit and lose their desire to excel, it's a darn shame really but to be honest most of the really ambitious people I knew left the dubs pretty quickly as it was impossible to reconcile wanting a life with following the edicts of the GB unless you are in with the elders

I started my degree at 23 long after leaving the witnesses, it took me 5 years to get over the mindf*ck of 18 years in the borg

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Why push yourself if the end could come tomorrow? My mom and dad taught me that!

Kwin

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Of course door-to-door is a completly different story.

Kwin

• JAVA
    JAVA

I believe the biggest financial loss is for young Witnesses that left school to pioneer and take part-time jobs to support themselves. Had they, or any others that pioneered, gone to college and then into the work force, their financial situation would definitely improve.

Blondie?s points are well made, too. Many former JWs have put themselves back into the driver?s seat, and not looked back. That being said, even this group could have done that sooner if they had been in a normal religious or non-religious setting.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

My father never had the "killer instinct" and he was never a JW. As for myself, I think I do have the killer instinct but I lack the desire and ambition. Being in the business world I saw what was required of people and how they want your soul. And if you drop dead are they going to erect a plaque in your honor? I think not. I always felt my freedom was important (even if it was only freedom of mind).

LHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit