Another WTS Misrepresentation from the Creator Book

by AlanF 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AlanF
    AlanF

Here is a good example of the sort of complex misrepresentations that the Watchtower Society performs. The 1998 Creator book says the following (chap. 2, pp. 14-16, How Did Our Universe Get Here? -- The Controversy):

Attempts to Explain the Beginning

Can experts now explain the origin of the universe? Many scientists, uncomfortable with the idea that the universe was created by a higher intelligence, speculate that by some mechanism it created itself out of nothing. Does that sound reasonable to you? Such speculations usually involve some variation of a theory (inflationary universe model)* conceived in 1979 by physicist Alan Guth. Yet, more recently, Dr. Guth admitted that his theory "does not explain how the universe arose from nothing." Dr. Andrei Linde was more explicit in a Scientific American article: "Explaining this initial singularity -- where and when it all began -- still remains the most intractable problem of modern cosmology."

If experts cannot really explain either the origin or the early development of our universe, should we not look elsewhere for an explanation? Indeed, you have valid reasons to consider some evidence that many have overlooked but that may give you real insight on this issue. The evidence includes the precise measurements of four fundamental forces that are responsible for all properties and changes affecting matter. At the mere mention of fundamental forces, some may hesitate, thinking, ?That?s solely for physicists.? Not so. The basic facts are worth considering because they affect us.

* The inflation theory speculates as to what happened a fraction of a second after the beginning of the universe. Advocates of inflation hold that the universe was initially submicroscopic and then inflated faster than the speed of light, a claim that cannot be tested in a laboratory. Inflation remains a debated theory.

First, the reader will note that either no references, or woefully incomplete ones, are given for the quotations. Most readers wouldn't bother going to the trouble of digging them up.

Second, the author uses a bait and switch technique of argumentation. The topic is "attempts to explain the beginning", and the author raises the question, "can experts now explain the origin of the universe?" Not, "what happened after the origin of the universe?" but "what can explain the origin of the universe?" The author then brings in the "inflationary universe model" of physicist Alan Guth, as if this is supposed to be one of those theories of origin. But Guth's inflationary theory, as a cursory reading of the literature of physics and cosmology shows, is just one part of some Big Bang theories. Indeed, the author's footnote explicitly explains that "inflation theory speculates as to what happened a fraction of a second after the beginning of the universe." Obviously, the author is confused about whether he is dealing with theories of the origin or initial creation of the universe, and what happened in the instants after that creation. He is further confused by not understanding one of the basics of Big Bang theories: No physicist claims to know what, if anything, caused the Big Bang. Indeed, if someone asks about that, he will quickly be informed that science can say nothing about it, since it involves phenomena completely outside both the realm of physics, and our own universe. I know this from personal experience with Alan Guth, because not long after he was hired as an associate professor at MIT in 1980, I attended a lecture he gave on the relatively new idea of the "inflationary universe". Still being a JW in my outlook on creation and evolution, after the lecture I questioned him about his theory, because it made little sense to me. I specifically asked him about what caused the Big Bang, and he told me that I was asking a poor question, for the reasons I explained above. Point being: no one can say what "happened" before the universe existed.

All of this is lost on the Creator book's author. He is hopelessly confused about the origin of the universe versus what happened after that origin. He mixes up what physicists say about the origin (basically, "we don't know anything about it") with what they say happened afterwards (of which "inflationary theory" is but one aspect). He is completely confused about the huge distinction between Alan Guth's theory of what happened after the instant of the Big Bang, and what Dr. Andrei Linde said in the quoted Scientific American article, i.e., about "explaining this initial singularity -- where and when it all began."

All of this just goes to show that Watchtower writers are incompetent to write anything significant about science -- as if anyone who has come out of the Watchtower cult need be told this.

AlanF

• Pistoff
    Pistoff
    All of this just goes to show that Watchtower writers are incompetent to write anything significant about science -- as if anyone who has come out of the Watchtower cult need be told this.

WT leaders are afraid of science, since they cannot envision a fellowship that can meet together, believe in God regardless of what science says, and not have to do mental back flips to make it all work.

Some Christian fellowships accept science for what it is, believe in God and Jesus for the value they can add to life, and the two happily coexist.

But in the WT world, they have painted themselves into such a corner with old and continuing fundamentalism, no such peace is possible.

And so the attacks and logical fallacies continue unabated.

I am so happy to be free of that mindset!!

• Spook
    Spook

Alan,

Another good one. The idea of origens - obfuscated through big-bang tomfoolery (I mean the WT version of 'dynamic energy') and then mixed haphazardly with topics such as abiogenesis....

What can you expect from a dozen poorly educated 90 year old men living in isolation in Brooklyn?

Best wishes,

Ben

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I stongly suspect that the author was given Young Earth Creationist material to use as his scientific sources and probably never saw the quote in context. The YECs are infamous for this type of misrepresentation and the WT appears to simply sift through their works and use what fits their doctrinal scheme enraging both the scientists and the YECs.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"What can you expect from a dozen poorly educated 90 year old men living in isolation in Brooklyn?"

Not so much on topics as these, but then they do not write these books, they are put together by Writing, and there you have younger and slightly more educated people, who in so many instances ought to have done their homework far better.

I miss the Swingle days, Alan F., don't you?

• robhic
    robhic
    Can experts now explain the origin of the universe? Many scientists, uncomfortable with the idea that the universe was created by a higher intelligence, speculate that by some mechanism it created itself out of nothing. Does that sound reasonable to you?

To me, this seems to imply that "Since (so-called) 'experts' are uncomfortable with the universe being created by a higher intelligence then they have to manufacture some wacky scientific explanation." Hence, our "higher power" explanation ain't so unreasonable afterall .... IS IT? (Believe our explanation or you'll be sorry you are so stoooopid!)

Nope, since no one can give a proveable, detailed explanation of a subject as enormous as the creation of the universe then you should believe the "man-in-the-sky" explanation! Oh, and BTW, if you don't? He'll murder you and all your babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about the universe flew out of the ass of a giant Panda? Makes as much sense. I wonder what the scientists would say about that? I mean, since they can't prove or disprove it? It could be as true as the man-in-the-sky. Plus the Giant Panda probably wouldn't want to murder you if you didn't believe in him. I'm going with the Panda ...

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Great thread, as always, AlanF. The way the Society deals with science is staggeringly uninformed.

robhic, I like your Panda Universe. The really funny thing would be to see a debate between a Christian Creationist and a Panda Creationist. What possible evidence is there for either one? That's the beauty of non-falsifiable concepts - you can come up with millions of them, all equally "valid."

SNG

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

In his famous book "Cosmos", Carl Sagan writes (pg 257) "What were conditions like at the time of the Big Bang? What happened before that?.....In many cultures it is customary to answer that God created the universe out of nothing. But this is mere temporizing. If we wish courageously to pursue the question, we would of course ask next where God comes from. And if we decide this to be unanswerable, why not save a step and decide that the origin of the universe is an unanswerable question. Or, if we say that God has always existed, why not save a step and conclude that the universe has always existed?" This seems a better answer than those which are given by the WTBTS.

• robhic
    robhic

Gaiagirl: Excellent point! Nobody can prove OR disprove any scenario concerning the creation of the universe or a god. It can't be done evidentially. Thanks for the "Cosmos" reference, I have that book (haven't read it in ages...) but I may just read it again -- with a whole new perspective. Robert

• Gedanken
    Gedanken

:What about the universe flew out of the ass of a giant Panda? And then we could write a book called [i]The Panda's Bum[/i]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit