Being Marked

by TheOneBuck 10 Replies latest jw friends

• TheOneBuck
    TheOneBuck

Pardon my igorrance to this but I do not recall ever hearig a talk markig someone. I have been publicly reproved before but is this the same thing. When they mark an individual do they mention their name, or is a talk of generalities and people can point out who they are talking about. What a horrible thing. Shed some light people....lol

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

if the local needs talk is about questionable movies, internet use, drinking or cussing etc, then someone in the hall is being marked.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I agree totally Jez.

On one hand they suggest that you should stay away from gossip but on the other they are encouraging it; seems to me like double standards. You can gossip but only when we tell you can and only about the topics we tell you can gossip about

DB

• rebel8
    rebel8

I too have been confused by discussions about marking in this forum. I assume it's because the WTS policy itself doesn't make sense. I mean, if you mark something, you are labeling it. How can you label someone without mentioning their name?

When I was a dub long ago, I thought marking was something an individual does, not something the elders or congregation does...ie, if you have observed a fellow dub doing something that bothers your conscience but is not a disfellowshippable offense, then you mark them in your mind as bad association.

I don't remember this stuff about the congregation calling it marking. I remember the special needs talks, but I was under the impression they were for the purpose of meeting the needs of many members of the congregation, not to just scold one person. Why wouldn't they just say the person is reproved and be done with it?

Another WTS policy that makes no sense...

• TheOneBuck
    TheOneBuck

Thank you all for the replies. Actually I do recall several talks in the halls that could be marking talks. I just never got caught up in what others were doing and gossip. Actually come to think of it I think there might have been a marking talk about me dealing with people being involved romantically with worldy people... Hahahah son of a beach......lol

• Dustin
    Dustin

I had it done to me. They don't mention your name outright. They just direct it towards you. The elders made it very obvious who they were talking about. I was marked for having a worldly girlfriend. We went through hell together on that one. It was worth it though. Now she's my wife, and I learned the JW's are evil and unloving jerks as a whole.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

My Husband and I were marked.

Thursday night before our wedding we were marked because I wan not baptized. They said an "upcoming wedding" was taking place and for no one to go to it because I was an unbeliever.

Brooke

• TheOneBuck
    TheOneBuck

Brooke... I have heard of that junk before.... but yet it is for a witness to go to a wedding if the people are not JW at all...No need to get started

Dustin - Man I know what you went through having a non-JW g/f. Making talk about stress... wow. The constant feeling that you are letting Jah down, the hope that they would just convert, the sadness of them when you had to say no to holidays. the constant compromise that we had to do with either them or god. The nightmare where are we going to get married..... My god it is amazing I stayed sane for so long with all that junk.

I did not get a lot of pressure from the elders becuase when the were shepparding me I told them that no where in the bible does it say I can not be doing this and Gods word directly is more important to me then your interpertation of it. Man I felt so bad for loving this girl because they tried to make me think it was wrong. I should someday tell her sorry for all the BS I put her through because of this religion. God bless her she tried her damnest that is for sure.

That brings me to today I guess, kind of hoping I am making the correct decision to leave or is it because of my own waeknesses that I am deciding to leave. I am sure like everything else, time will answer all questions huh...

• lilbit
    lilbit

ok so the elders can give a talk where the cong has to guess and gossip to figure out whos marked. then do the give a tlak the next week marking the rest of the cong for gossiping?

• minimus
    minimus

The new book has a blurb about "marking" that I believe is a little redefined.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit