I just had a thought about the new KH design

by JeffT 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Jonathan Drake: "So how many of the rank and file are they willing to lose? I don't know if they'd make that sacrifice..."

I understand that upwards of 75% left during the Rutherford power struggles. It might actually be good for them to lose the 'weak' ones leaving only the diehards who will blindly obey any order.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
     It is not a design that attracts attention, nor does it offer a lot in future resale value.

I'm not in the real estate business, but I think the question to ask here is whether this style of building is more marketable than the current design.  Seems like there would be a smaller market for the windowless buildings they use today.

Also a pertinent question: Are there other designs that would provide a greater return?  In other words, what other design, if any, could they construct using their unskilled workforce that would result in a greater profit upon resale?

This scheme might not be brilliant, but it still might improve upon their current real estate flipping model, if not outright maximize its potential.

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake
    Village Idiot12 minutes ago

Jonathan Drake: "So how many of the rank and file are they willing to lose? I don't know if they'd make that sacrifice..."

I understand that upwards of 75% left during the Rutherford power struggles. It might actually be good for them to lose the 'weak' ones leaving only the diehards who will blindly obey any order.

Very good point. You're right, I could see this then. If this does happen it'd give those diehards more solidarity too, they could go on for who knows how long. Especially once the "persecution" starts when gay rights shines a spotlight on these organizations.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

It seems clear to me that this new design is all about flipping the buildings.

I agree.

In the past, when new KHalls were built the only buyers for the old ones were other churches (maybe daycare), thus the limited market failed to bring high real estate prices.

It seems the plan is that these newly designed KHalls will be prime real estate designed for a multitude of uses.

Doc

• JeffT
    JeffT

As I've said, I have a real estate background.  Making money in flipping properties requires doing something to the property that makes it more valuable.  This style of building doesn't have anything that can be upgraded.  The only value that will change is the land under it.

In commercial buildings, landlords have a fair amount of say in the allowed uses in the building.  Exceptions to discrimination laws are available (at least in the US) for properties owned by religious organizations. I used to manage a medical office tower owned by an order of Catholic nuns.  Their leases had specific language about what uses they allowed in the building.

I don't think that part would be a problem for the WTBS in this.  And they have a proven track record in passing off BS to the membership no matter how it smells.  I'm sure they could convince most of the R&F that this was Jehovah's provision for paying for the world wide work.  

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Don't overthink this.

It's just to make the buildings easier to flip when the time comes.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    Making money in flipping properties requires doing something to the property that makes it more valuable.

How about building properties with free labor and selling them at market value?  Is there any money to be made in that?

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    Or it could be that building departments and insurance companies are starting to demand commercial style construction. For example, "places of public assembly" are held to higher earthquake resistance standards in California, in most places they must have fire sprinklers, meet accessibility standards, meet energy and water conservation codes, etc. What the city building department wants, they will get.
  • brandnew
    brandnew
    Ive seen a kingdumb hall sold, and a week later it had a HUGE cross on top of it.....nobody said a word.
  • Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    All Kingdom Halls have a dedication which sanctifies it for "pure worship". I am sure they wouldn't let it be defiled by "worldly people."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit