I just had a thought about the new KH design

by JeffT 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JeffT
    JeffT

I've been trying to figure out the purpose of the new (bland, commercial style) building that the GB is pushing.  It is not a design that attracts attention, nor does it offer a lot in future resale value.  It will be more difficult to build than the wood residential style buildings, meaning they can't use their cheap unskilled labor force for a lot of the work.  So why do it?

It occurs to me that KH's are not used for large chunks of the work week.  Why not rent the space when there's no JW's in it?  Lots of companies are always looking for mid-size conference type rooms that they can rent for retreats, training sessions, team building and the like.  Lots of 12 step programs rent space in churches.  MLM's could use them for sleazy sales pitches (OK, they're already used for that, why not make money at it?). 

How, you ask, do they companies explain the fact that they're meeting in a KH?  Easy, they point out that its cheap and available.  Even use of two or three afternoons a week could yield a thousand dollars a month, which of course will have to go back to HQ.  

I think it could be a money maker.  

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

JeffT - I would say you are on to something. In many small towns, the local clubs like the Elks, Moose, and Knights of Columbus rent out their meeting halls for sales meetings, weddings, and other affairs. It would make sense to have the KHs set up for that type of rental since they sit vacant nearly 90% of the time.

I am sure that the "business" side of Jehovah's holy spirit has noticed this underuse of properties that are set up for such meetings. With audio-visual equipment now being installed in almost every hall and WiFi services being made available, they could easily accommodate almost any secular organization - yes, even Amway type rah-rah meetings in smaller towns.

JV

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Only one little obstacle which prevents such a thing ever happening - equality & discrimination laws!

Would JW congregations sanction their place of worship being used by a Gay Rights movement, pro-abortion supporters, spiritualist groups, etc. etc. etc.?

Refusals would result in lawsuits, massive amounts of negative publicity, and the distinct possibility of losing charitable status.

The Org may devise a money-making scheme for KH's, but not this way!

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I wonder if they will rent the hall to other religious groups. Pentecostals perhaps?

Seriously, they would probably have 3 or 4 congregations meeting at one hall which would come out to 2-3 complete days vacant per hall per week as well as 6 partial days. They may even move the Sunday meetings to Saturday if any church group wanted to rent it on Sunday only. There's quite a few churches that meet in rented halls in my neighborhood - all of them Charismatic. 

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

mmmm - interesting idea but I am not convinced that they will rent out space, not least for the reasons mentioned by Searcher.

There will be something behind the change related to finances but I think it's far more likely to be in the P/L on the resale coupled with ongoing donations.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

@Searcher: 

"Would JW congregations sanction their place of worship being used by a Gay Rights movement, pro-abortion supporters, spiritualist groups, etc. etc. etc.?"

Searcher, the congregations are under the control of the Governing Body and the Governing Body is amoral. Remember, these are the same people who affiliated themselves with the United Nations in spite of what they taught.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

@ konceptual99:

"There will be something behind the change related to finances but I think it's far more likely to be in the P/L on the resale coupled with ongoing donations."

The more I think about JeffT's idea the more I'm convinced that he is right. Renting out the Kingdom Hall would turn the building into a cash cow that can be milked indefinitely.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

The way the Org used to be this would be out of the question. The thought of using a "dedicated" building for some secular use would be tantamount to blasphemy. (And as far as I know, they still have 'dedication' ceremonies after they build these things. Which raises the question; if the building has been dedicated to God, how could they turn around and sell it? But I digress . . .)

I think Searcher has a good point also. When you open something up for the public, especially in Western land, you become liable to the various civil rights laws, some of which are anathema to the WT.

Bobcat

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

I would never say never but it would be a fundamental change and one perhaps too far right now. The changes over the past few years have been huge on the surface but not changed much underneath.  It's still the same top down hierarchy.  It's still insular, protective and secretive.  Money is still flowing from congregations to head office.

The issues over equality and prejudice are major.  If they were to rent space out I am sure that there are dozens of ex Witnesses who would be lining up to request space for any organisation whose presence would embarrass the WTS.  Do you see comments boxes or even email addresses on jw,org?  That tells you how open they really are.

The dedicated building is also a factor.

The only way I can see them opening their doors is if refusing to do so meant they could not attract charitable tax status. 

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    But Bobcat, as I just mentioned, the Organization is really amoral and never abides by its own rules. Besides, they can always tell someone that they don't like that there are no time slots available.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit