Making the truth your own!!!

by Gill 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• professor
    professor

Muchas Gracias!

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Sincere80, I'm just curious what brought you to this board? You say you are engaged to a Baptist, is that right?

please answer both questions. thanks! With respect ,i would say he can answer what the heck he likes!

• doogie
    doogie
    in no way do I feel brainwashed.

i'm sorry, i'm not trying to be disrespectful but i thought this was hilarious. what does it feel like to be brainwashed?

i thought the concept of brainwashing (indoctrination) is that a person doesn't know when they are being manipulated. that's like the doctor telling you that you have skin cancer right in the middle of your back and you say, "hmm...i don't feel like i have skin cancer on my back."

i feel like others, that everyone is free to believe whatever they like but i can't believe that someone could understand all the ins and outs of JW doctrine enough at 11 years old to make a meaningful dedication. i was baptized at 15 and all i really understood was that i'd be able to carry the microphones (whoopee!!)

• blondie
    blondie
    16 Young people who have been raised as Jehovah's Witnesses do well to examine whether their Christian identity is becoming stronger based on a personal relationship with God. They cannot depend merely on the faith of their parents. Regarding each servant of God, Paul wrote: "To his own master he stands or falls." Thus, Paul continues: "Each of us will render an account for himself to God." (Romans 14:4,12) Obviously, a halfhearted continuation of family tradition cannot sustain an intimate, long-term relationship with Jehovah.

I think the WTS addressed what they considered "making the truth your own" in this paragraph in the WT study last Sunday. Too many children of JWs are reaching 18 and leaving "the truth."

In one congregation, only one out of 15 stay.

Blondie

• Carmel
    Carmel

Dear sincere80, welcome to the board! Just to let you know, the concept of brainwashing is pretty strong, but not too far off from reality. Actually, if you look at the defintion of propaganda, you'll find that the witnesses are demonstrating it exactly.. Look at how political parties discuss issues and you will see what the others here are talking about. Listen to a democrat discuss social security and you get a very convincing argument to do thus and such. Listen to a republican and you will get an equally convincing argument to do differently. They both "spin" according to their own desired outcomes and preconceived notions as to what is best for all. In reality, they are both guilty of omission, and other strategies of distortion.

Like you, I was brought up in a JW family, had no access to ideas that effectively challenged the narrow view of biblical text that the Russellites and Rutherfordites promulgated. When I was able to recognize duplicity and inconsistancy, I asked questions and was repeatedly told I couldn't understand (discern the truth) unless I was baptized. So at 12 I was dunked. Guess what, it was a scam and simply a way of avoiding the hard questions. Getting dunked did nothing for "understanding" nor does repeating pre-programed questions and answers from Watchtowers and JW books. You aren't even allowed to ask your own questions. The FDS has to tell you what you can ask and what the answer is. Don't do what I did, like ask your own questions!

PM me if you wish to persuade me otherwise.

Cheers, Carmel

• Gill
    Gill

Hi All,

I was just remembering a VERY intelligent young JW boy, well man now, he's twenty. About 2 years ago, when JWs were still speaking to me, I ran into his lovely mum who told me that he 'had made the truth his own' and was getting married to his girlfriend, (both pioneers) and were off to Eastern Europe to where the need was great to Special Pioneer. I remember even then, even before I knew the truth about 'the trooth' feeling very sad for this young man. He was an A grade student all through school and acheived four grade A , 'A' levels. His parents were at every prize giving at his college. And now....what a sad loss. If that young man wasn't brainwashed, then tell me what he was, someone, please. I think his position was more difficult in that his family, mum, dad, sister were really lovely people. Can you imagine going against them and losing them to the WTBTS?

Still makes me sad now.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I never heard anyone use it except for being in the song.

• Gill
    Gill

freedom96 - I must have known too many fanatics!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit