Question-- Should I inform the Sheriff??

by Junction-Guy 30 Replies latest jw friends

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

I agree with MKR. Having been a sheriff's deputy I learned that the sheriff is just another political office.

All politicians are afraid of anything controversial that may end up in the local news paper.

His first reaction will be to say NO I don't want an officer doing this on my watch.

If he doesn't say this it will still be his first thought. If you like this job or really need it, don't risk the consequences.

Take your efforts out of this county and remain quiet about it among your fellow workers.

Outoftheorg

• minimus
    minimus

Get legal advice. That's a no-brainer. Even if the sheriff tells you it's ok or not ok, you need to know what the law says! Personally, I think picketing makes you look (to a Witness) like a nut or "one of those apostates". If you picket in front of a KH to get JWs to take notice--- I think it backfires. If you alienate your sheriff or are viewed as disturbing the neighborhood, you do nothing to help your cause.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Legal and professional advise I highly agree with.

To have a civil employee picketing a religious organization could be a black eye on the city/county/state, as these days civil employees are required to be squeeky clean in the public eye, and picketing is very public. However, this doesn't mean you have to quit... just stay in the background.

After getting legal advice, contacting the ACLU first, I suggest contacting the local authorities regarding getting permits for public gathering or picketing, whatever it's called in your area. Once those are in place, contact the local police authority and discuss it with them in person, and bring literature! Maybe Mikronboy could provide you with written copy of his anti-witnessing on Ebay regarding the Library Card. Mikronboy is not a JWD handle, but pm me and I'll tell you who he is. Online sites with listings of Cult and High Control groups is a good place to look for info, too.

Now, a few picket signs made to stick into the ground like political "vote for" signs (not posted to a light pole, which is illegal) might be a good temporary anti-witness. Placed in public property right of way out of the street of course! Watch it, and when a witness goes to remove it, reprimand them for violating your freedom of speech - all on video, which is being filmed in plain sight. Video vs audio, does not require the knowledge of the persons being taped, and thus is legal in court. Don't fight the butthead if he forcefully takes it. Just put others out when the butthead leaves. You've got the evidence for violation of first amendment on tape, and you are not being violent!

Good luck and gawd bless!

Brenda

• undercover
    undercover
    Now, a few picket signs made to stick into the ground like political "vote for" signs (not posted to a light pole, which is illegal) might be a good temporary anti-witness. Placed in public property right of way out of the street of course!

It would be good to check local ordinances about that also. Some cities have ordinances about any kind of sign in the public right of way. Where I live signs are not allowed in the public right of way, including for sale by owner signs, real estate lead in signs, etc. The only exceptions to that is that a month or so leading up to election some leeway is allowed as long as they remove them within a day or so after the election. Yard sale and open house signs are allowed only for the weekend of the sale or open house. Under this ordinance any anti-JW signs would be illegal.

It looks like I'm in a minority here, but I have to ask: Why bother picketing? I see picketers of any sort for any cause and I wonder the same thing, "Don't you have anything better to do?" Whether it's the JWs, the war in Iraq, the Terri Schiavo case or abortion, standing outside protesting and picketing an event tends to send the message that the picketers are extreme in their viewpoint.

I think that picketing outside a hall confirms to people who are already going to the hall that apostates are loopy and under the influence of demons and will only cause JWs and those studying to believe it more when the GB tells them to stay away from the media and any other outside influence. People driving by who aren't influenced by JWs will just see some disgruntled ex-JWs who haven't come to grips with the realization that they were in cultish religion.

Apostates are not going to rise up as a group and overthrow this religion. The best thing ex-JWs can do is to vow to not let the WTS influence their life anymore and try to help family and friends still enslaved by the religion when the situation presents itself. The WTS has the flock too brainwashed to let the majority of them fall for some bad press or protests that point out the faults of the religion. They'll ignore that till the day they die. But if a former JW friend or family member drops little hints that cause doubt to creep in over time, the JW will on their own possibly look into it and realize what has been done.

To each his own though...I wish you well, just be careful and don't get in trouble with the law. That'll only show the JWs that they were being 'blessed' by Jehovah.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Thank you undercover, but I slightly disagree. My main goal is not to pull away JW's from their religion, but to bring awareness to outside people what a destructive cult this is. America was built on protest and it is my American born right if I choose to expose this devious religion. I dont think people who protest are loopy by any means, in fact I think people who sit by and dont do anything are loopy. you dont know my situation, you dont know all the anxities and grief this religion has caused me, you dont know how it nearly destroyed my family, how it tore my mom up inside. People need to know this, and they have the right to be informed. I have already seen the payoff from my picketing activities, as several people in the past picketings have pulled their car over to the side of the road and it has given me alot of opportunity to anti-witness.

All of the money in the world couldnt buy the feeling I get from exposing these false prophets, and I will not be silenced. I will use my first ammendment rights to the hilt--after all it was JW's who campaigned so hard for many of these rights.

Dave

• The Leological One
    The Leological One
    What about the ACLU? Sure they're liberals, but I think they might give you advice for free.

Or maybe their rivals, the ACLJ (American Center for Law and Justice) that Jay Sekalow (sp?) is over. They take up a lot of Christian cases (and I think maybe Jewish ones, etc.).

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser
    To have a civil employee picketing a religious organization could be a black eye on the city/county/state, as these days civil employees are required to be squeeky clean in the public eye, and picketing is very public.

As long as your not in uniform or link your picketing with your job in any way, you should have every right to picket all you want.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Exactly Heatmiser !!! I didnt check my civil rights at the door when I moved to Tennessee, all Americans are entitled to their freedom of speech.

Im thinking about going up to Ky to visit family, and I just may picket up there. Citizens in Kentucky are blessed with many rights, and the government is far more restricted from interfering there. In Eastern Kentucky outside the city limits, there are very few sign ordinances and Zoning has never been heard of, you can basically do what you want up there providing you dont cause physical harm to anyone. Im just gonna branch out a little bit and start picketing some more rural areas, plus I have lots of connections up there, and know alot of the Law Enforcement personnel up there. I will go and visit with several police departments and do a little education work and offer my assistance if needed.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Hi There:

You don't need to contact the ACLU or an attorney (yet). You can try but the ACLU won't give you the time of day until AFTER your civil liberties have been deprived and an Attorney is someone that is in the business of selling advice so you might have to pay unless you find a nice one. (no jokes please)

First, see if you can check the local ordinances yourself. Maybe your county librarian can help you out. Arm yourself with the knowledge of which local ordinances apply or don't apply and set up an appointment with the Sheriff if you can. (Obviously find out if there are any licensing requirements and get a license if you have to.) Meet with the Sheriff and kindly inform him of your plans and inquire how you may exercise your rights while not running afoul of the law. After you have agreed with him or he has seen that he cannot prevent you from picketing or exercising your right to free speech (which he CAN"T ANYMORE THAN HE CAN PREVENT JWS FROM GOING ON THE SAME SIDEWALK THAT YOU WANT TO STAND ON TO PICKET AND DISTRIBUTING LITERATURE); then ask him if he would like you to notify his office (as a courtesy only of course) of the days and times or just prior to when you will picket. (By calling the dept, they can alert both the phone personnel and any patrols so that if they do get any calls they won't just react, they will be able to tell the person who calls that you have the right to picket and aren't causing any problems instead of just rolling to the scene and scaring the bejesus out of you.)

If you get resistance, make it plain that you intend to exercise your rights to free speech and will escalate things if necessary. File a complaint with the Sherriff's bosses, the County Supervisors/Board of Supervisors if necessary, and threaten legal action against the County if necessary. You will get your way. If none of this works then it is time to find a civil rights attorney and/or contact the ACLU.

PS: with regards to the picketingthe other day. It is very possible that Wal-Mart is the one that called the cops on you. Wal-Mart has strict policies against allowiing tables/picketing on or near its property. just a thought.

-Eduardo

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

When I lived in Baton Rouge, La. I once saw Jehovah's Witnesses downtown standing on a sidewalk holding the Watchtower and Awake! I stood on the opposite side of the street holding up the Bible and encouraging people to read God's word without man written aids to explain it. And that they should read the Bible and not what the Watchtower Society says the Bible says. I don't recall anyone obtaining the magazines while I was there.

On another occasion, using the Bible, I preached to Witnesses approaching the convention site at L.S.U.

In another city in Louisiana, at the Lafayette West Unit, I placed Catholic leaflets on windshields of cars. I also conducted a letter writing campaign to Witnesses I once knew.

But I've never done placard witnessing about Jehovah's Witnesses to non Witnesses. Now, that's a novel thought. And one I may one day try here in Tallahassee.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit