Am I right about the WT being wrong?

by FreedomFrog 88 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

Well after being brought up in it, and taken hook line and sinker, I would now say that the whole religion is a house of cards, with a few truths, the few truths in the house of cards are what prop are the more tenuous beliefs and interpretations. To be honest - I cannot believe that I personally was ever able to accept their views. It makes me someone now who likes to listen and analyse rather than take something at face value.

If I really stretch my imagination to think of a possible way they could be right it is only this way... if we all exist in seperate pseudo worlds where the production of our individual futures is a construct of our deeply held beliefs. i.e, what you believe happens to you does, even after death. And that is a very strange world view!

• Satanus
    Satanus
    Why can't we all just say that we don't know whether the Witnesses have the truth or not? (now that is the "truth"!)

Because most of us have learned to use our brains to distinguish truth from lie. It has something to do w wisdom, or something like that.

S

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Slim just PM'ed me to let you guys know he's not ignoring us, he just used up all 75 of his posts for the day. Holy shit.

GBL

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    Freedom Frog,

This relates to the original topic of this thread (sorry for digressing): Saying "JWs have it right" means very little unless we focus on the specific doctrines and analyse our assumptions.

Having said that, what are the WTS views that still sound convincing to you? Or maybe it's more emotional than factual/logical?

No need to apologize...actually sbl is just reminding me of why I made my choice after all.

No, nothing the WTS has said is convincing to me...it's more emotional. ESPECIALLY when I hear a storm coming. Then that's when I have those doubts (just for a brief moment). I KNOW I made the right decision, I've proven it over and over to myself. But I haven't been out long enough to "get over" the fright that comes once in a while.

It's a "spiritual abuse" that we all have been through. And the book that I'm reading has been very helpful. It likens it to a child abuse. If a person hits a kid over and over...if that kid sees a hand go up EVEN if the abuse stopped, they may still flinch. I think I'm still flinching over here. It will pass, but it will take some time.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

My terminology for the way I feel when I get scared that "armageddon" is coming is

"false alarmageddon"

• heathen
    heathen

First off --- I don't remember anybody on this board ever saying they had the truth but were more or less looking for a reason to accept something as truth , that by finding facts . The word apostate is subject to ones interpretation of truth because it really means false or one who rejects the truth . I think the WTBTS really stuck it's foot in it when they felt they had the indisputable truth all along when in fact they are still refining things to bring out the truth . I for one don't think that they have completed what they have started and are still waiting for that which is complete to arrive much as the early church . I know I can refute many of their own beliefs while using their own bible . The accurately translated bible is the only source from which the truth of spiritual matters can be defined .IMO

• Pole
    Pole
    It's a "spiritual abuse" that we all have been through.

Well put. I guess what you feel instinctively at your moments of "doubts" is that at the end of the road to full recovery there's no "apostate worldview". No universal substitute for the Truth. There is basically the freedom to think, believe and decide.

Many of us have experienced nightmares, depression, anger, anxiety and other syndroms of leaving a cult. All I can say is that the great majority needed just some time to overcome it all. My mother and wife have been experiencing similar feelings.

Best wishes,

Pole

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose
    You have got it the wrong way round. Apostates are the ones who claim they know who is "wrong". They don't agree on who is right, but they agree on who is wrong.

Lumping a group of ex-JWs that meet, say on a message board, as all being apostates with singleness of thought is as damaging as lumping all JWs "in good standing" as being deluded hypocritical jerks. Speaking in generalizations does no one any good. The interesting thing is, I am an "apostate" because JWs have deemed me to be one, not because of any specific action or inaction on my part. Simply leaving an emotionally and spiritually abusive situation because the organization doesn't have any other means to allow a person to leave with dignity, has resulted in my "great apostasy". I have one JW friend who remains in contact with me. She's the one who TOLD me they were calling me an apostate, and actually ASKED me. I was honest with her and she was satisfied...and she still talks to me. My flesh and blood JW sister is the one spreading the gossip (hmm, isn't that frowned upon?) that has gone from northern Alberta to here in southern B.C. about my great apostasy, based on one communication via letter over a family matter. What is right? What is wrong? Well, my definition is to put your money where your mouth is. Who in the scenario above, both JWs in good standing, acted with love and in a Christ-like manner? Who didn't? My friend who is not supposed to talk to me and does on rare occasions keep in loose touch with me, or my sister who is ALLOWED on occasion to keep in loose touch with me and chooses not to. My friend who did me the courtesy of at least ASKING me and finding out the truth of the matter, as opposed to my sister (and the 10 or so JWs she told) who spent a good deal of time stabbing my character in the back? Many of those doing the backstabbing have known me for well over 10 years, and are elders and long-time pioneers who really should know better than to spread gossip, even over a disassociated person. It's not upbuilding talk that they're supposed to be promoting. Right? Wrong is saying you have love and not acting like it. Wrong is treating people like less than human beings in the name of rules. I don't care if you're a Catholic, Protestant, LDS, JW, or Buddhist...if you tell me you treat others with love and Christlike feeling and it's obvious you're not, it's hypocritical. Oh, and the reason I left? I have a social anxiety disorder and after losing both parents in 6 months to cancer, had a breakdown and couldn't leave the house to buy milk, much less attend meetings. After months of being forgotten (they couldn't be bothered to drop off my magazines, or remember to hook me up by phone for the meetings...and I can count the people on half a hand who called me to see how I was) I decided that this wasn't a loving organization. I had more friendship and concern coming from virtual strangers on the internet from halfway around the world, then from people who had been my friends for 15 years. The elders knew what was going on with me and I had at least one very loving elder advocating on my behalf with the others. I was still marked as bad association for my lack of meeting attendance. Now based on the help offered by the Bible at James 5 with regard to elders and their comfort and solace, is that "right"? Or is it "wrong?" Shepherding calls? I requested two during that time period. They never came. I've wiped the dust off my feet. There are some sincere and loving JWs and I miss them. There are also a lot of damaging people there as well. I don't miss them. Now you know a little more about me. Are you going to continue to label me? Are you going to continue to pigeonhole each of us into a lump sum group?

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Slim, I have copied a post I sent to you on one of your previous threads; i think the comments still hold true...you probably didnt read it though, hes another chance.

DB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit