Am I right about the WT being wrong?

by FreedomFrog 88 Replies latest jw friends

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Hi everyone...

I was "raised" as a dub and got baptised in '86...so in total I had been a JW for over 20 years. I came to realize that the "way of life" I was living was in fact made up of mostly lies. I started "questioning" the borg about 6 years ago and finally came out with AlmostAtheist last Sept. I know in my heart that they are mostly wrong and very legalist. I have proven over and over that they are NOT the "only true religion". In fact, I see more love in other churches that I've checked out.

Now after saying all that, I still go through some time of doubting myself. Sometimes I still get that nagging voice in the back of my head telling me that I just left the only "right" religion. Especially when I read something that the DO have correct. Have any of you experience this? And does it ease up over time?

I still feel like I'm in the "deprogramming" process. Will I be totally "deprogrammed"?

FF

• garybuss
    garybuss

I had to challenge my own assumptions. That was my key. My assumptions were my filters that everything else had to pass through and they were flawed.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    I had to challenge my own assumptions. That was my key. My assumptions were my filters that everything else had to pass through and they were flawed.

I had to do the same as Gary Buss. Also compared their teachings with the Bible and saw how flawed the WT reasoning is. The March 1, 1979 WT (cover page and article) really hit home as to who the JW's worship

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

Honesty, what exactly did it say? I kinda' have an idea but am just curious (I'm thinking about getting a CD or 2 of previous WT literature that shows problems with doctrines, prophecies, etc.).

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

Garybuss,

Thanks again for the links earlier, and I totally like how you put your response~!

• kls
    kls

FF ,if the Wt is inspired by God ,even though it is run by men ,how can it be so wrong so often and ruine so many lives if their God is so loving . The real kicker that gets me is ,if God says the body is sacred and suicide is wrong then why will jws kill them selves over no blood transfusions. Isn't that a form of suicide?

Anyway just my thoughts.

• Neo
    Neo
    Sometimes I still get that nagging voice in the back of my head telling me that I just left the only "right" religion. Especially when I read something that the DO have correct. Have any of you experience this? And does it ease up over time?

Yeah, that's exactly what happens to most of us exdubs. After we listen year after year to their "we are the Truth" talk it's not easy to come to grips with the fact that they have nothing to do with truth. Our minds try to find something positive in the JW religion to help deal with the dissonance (and of course they have some positive stuff, otherwise they'd never exist as a religion). I think it's completely normal.

Maybe this feeling is stronger when we are raised into the cult. It does ease up over time, and some people have said that it may take about 5 years to completely rebuild one's life after leaving a mind controlling group. What may accelerate the process is studying in detail the cult's doctrines and falsehoods to really erradicate those little doubts that keep nagging the mind. Psychotherapy and posting on JWD help a lot too!

Neo

• moanzy
    moanzy

FF,

As you do more research not only on JW's, but also othe religions you will find that ALL religions have some things right! I personally don't think that everything the witnesses believe are wrong.

I definately think that when they impose on each persons freedom of thought, concience, life etc and think that they have the God given right to do so then they are WRRRRRRRRong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that anyone who grew up in a system like the witnesses are always going to have problems adjusting to finally totally realizing that JW's do not have the one true right religion. No body does. It is still going to come down to each individual not each individuals religion. God doesn't care what organization you belong to, just what kind of person you are in this life.

All the best in your search

Moanzy

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Especially when I read something that the DO have correct.

Well fortunately that is pretty damn little. This besides the fact that there is not a shred of evidence that the bible came from a supernatural source, so it's all just spiritual masturbation anyway.

• marked
    marked
    Have any of you experience this? And does it ease up over time?

I most definately have experienced this. I think we all have. And not only does it ease up, it eventually stops.
    That "nagging" in your head is residual indoctrination. It's a powerful influence masquerading as your "conscience". Keep your mind open - keep thinking - and you'll flush it out.

marked

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit