UN/Watchtower/Who/

by Voyager 29 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Voyager
    Voyager

According to my little cousin who was (never) one of Jehovah's Witnesses, I have been doing my (research) wrong. He told me that if I wanted to find out information about the Watchtower and the United Nations, then I would need to start typing in (numbers) instead of letters and words into my search engines. Here is what he told me!-----See below:

**************************************************************************************************************

To find that the Watchtower continued (another) type of U.N. relationship even (after) they disassociated from the (NGO DPI) sections, these are the instructions I was given: 1. Go to the home page of (WHO) World Health Organization 2. Type in these numbers into the search engine at the top: (10184) and click GO 3. When the next page comes up, you will receive one pdf listing of information. Click on it. 4. When the pdf file comes up, go to page 3 and you will find that the Watch Tower of Jehovah's Witnesses is listed as a (New IDP Site) and (Participant Center). This was dated 2003, which was (after) they had disassociated themselves from the (other) U.N. sections of (NGO DPI)! The WHO home page is here: Then just follow the instructions I was given. http://www.who.int/en/ http://www.who.int/en/ My little cousin who was never a JW works at Patrick Air Force Base, and every so often he has access to a computer the size of a Mac Truck! And to think that I used to bounce that little brat on my knee!

• tweety
    tweety

Wow, checked it out and your little cousin knows what he is talking about! The Watchtower of Jehovah Witness was listed.

Thanks for the information

Dee

• the_classicist
  • tijkmo
    tijkmo

correct me if im wrong but is this not saying that jws in the area were recipients of help and may even have worked along with un reps to administer help to selves and others..i dont think we can shout conspiracy on the basis of this because that will weaken the argument for the ngo thing...

• Voyager
    Voyager

Tijkmo:

You really need to read Mission To Africa published by the Watchtower Society (before) you start thinking that there are (no) relationships With the U.N. and the Watchtower!

Here is a quote from their own literature:

Our activity was often hindered by difficulties particular to the region. Distances are vast and lines of communication almost nonexistent. The best form of travel, if not the only one, is the airplane. Often we used the H.C.R.'s (United Nations High Commission for Refugees) planes.

http://watchtower.observer.org/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040317/JWANDSOCIETY/110060008&SearchID=73203455991214

Thanks!

• Voyager
    Voyager

The_Classicist:

I had sent the post to Randy for him to post, then I thought that he was to busy so I went ahead and posted it, then come to find out that (both) of us had posted it.

Thanks!

• jula71
    jula71

Wow, here's a page I just found: http://www.parkridgecenter.org/Page501.html

A Park Ridge Center project by Paul D. Numrich

The United Nations can never be the same again." Thus Bawa Jain, Secretary-General of the Millennium World Peace Summit of Religious and Spiritual Leaders, described last year's Summit at the UN.

"Just the mere presence of all these religious leaders will in itself have a transformative process in the future work of the United Nations," Jain added. The Park Ridge Center, through our Religion Counts project, is tracking the hope of such a transformation.

The Center's connection with the UN goes back to the UN's International Conference on Population and Development convened in Cairo in 1994. The charged atmosphere that emerged there as religious and secular voices debated hot-button issues spurred thoughts about religion's role in public dialogue.

"Should religions and religious people be represented at local, national, or international forums where there are certain to be controversial issues of public import?" asked Martin Marty and others in the subsequent Center report Religion and Public Discourse: Principles and Guidelines for Religious Participants. Are the risks of religious obstinacy or incivility about volatile social issues worth an invitation to discuss? In that report we supported taking such risks so that religion might count in arenas like the UN, although we advised that discourse be both informed and civil.

We expect that Religion Counts will help us learn how religious perspectives and groups operate at the UN, and enable us to describe the role religion plays in the interrelationships of UN agencies, government missions, and related religious and secular actors. Our findings may also advance the UN conversation on the role of religion and help non-governmental organizations assess their effectiveness at the UN.

Religion Counts features a major research component at the UN, including informant interviews, on-site observations at UN headquarters, NGO case studies, commissioned scholarship, and other research strategies. Three Center associates are gathering and analyzing data.

To date, we have conducted over fifty formal interviews. These include representatives from twenty religious NGOs, eighteen secular NGOs, eleven UN officials as high as the under-secretary-general level, and three high-level informants on governmental or intergovernmental bodies. One question on our interview protocol has elicited fascinating personal vignettes from these individuals who give their lives to international service: "What formative experiences or perspectives have brought you to where you are now?"

We have also observed three major UN events: the Beijing Plus 5 Conference on Women in May?June 2000, the Millennium World Peace Summit in August 2000, and the January?February 2001 preparatory meeting for the General Assembly's follow-up to the World Summit for Children.

One outcome promised by Peace Summit organizers was the establishment of a permanent UN council of religious and spiritual advisors, with details to come. The likelihood of such a permanent advisory council depends on the cooperation of the world's religious and spiritual leaders and the value that the UN would give to the contributions of such a body. While the UN already works with many religious NGOs, they must be deemed compatible with UN ideals, amenable to UN procedures, and valuable in attaining UN goals. A group's attitudes and actions can deprive it of the opportunity to participate.

Our two case studies of religious NGOs active in the UN include a Christian humanitarian organization that focuses on disaster relief, development, and conflict resolution work in over eighty countries. It is one of the "big eight" NGOs in the world for the market share of monies it handles. The other NGO has distinguished itself in peace building and conflict resolution. After numerous interviewees identified this group as a model of religious participation in the UN system, we felt compelled to look at it further.

We expect to publish analytical "maps" explaining religion's role in the UN system, followed by a book-length expansion of these maps. These publications will appeal to readers interested in the intersection of religion and international politics and will be especially useful to those inside or outside the UN system who wish to understand religion there.

WHY DON'T MORE PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THE SOCIETY'S INVOVLMENT IN THIS!!!!!
  • Voyager
    Voyager

Jula71:

Excellent find! Thank you for posting it! I found that information to be quite interesting.

Thanks!

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Our activity was often hindered by difficulties particular to the region. Distances are vast and lines of communication almost nonexistent. The best form of travel, if not the only one, is the airplane. Often we used the H.C.R.'s (United Nations High Commission for Refugees) planes

I'm certain that this quote is from Aidafrique, not the wtbts.

I think this is a swiss doctor who set up his own organization, who happens to be a JDub.

There is an earlier thread regarding this. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/14672/1.ashx

steve

• Voyager
    Voyager

Steve

Mission To Africa

This pamphlet is printed and distributet by the Watchtower. The pamphlet says: "Imprim

é en France par l'association "Les T é moins de J é hovah", Louviers (Eure) N d'imprimeur: 574 - D é p ô t l é gal: juin 1997. The interesting thing is: This is totally unknown by the Jehovah's Witnesses in the rest of the world!

CUT AND PASTE INTO BROWSER

http://watchtower.observer.org/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040317/JWANDSOCIETY/110060008&SearchID=73203520554926

Thanks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit