The Cult of Four "Just Imperfect" Men

by Farkel 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• notperfectyet
    notperfectyet

I am ordering hawaiian pizza.

• Poztate
    Poztate

Farkel...Another great post exposing the WT and the men behind the curtain. It is a definite keeper and I would hope it could be added by a mod to the best of series if it is not in there already.

• Duncan
    Duncan

Great post, Farkel.

Really enjoyed it.

• minimus
    minimus

Farkel, that was a very good post. You exposed how Russell, Franz and others never corrected others with regard to the Faithful Slave. The fact that many of these persons were ego-maniacs shows that they all had an agenda to further their own ambitions. JWs prefer looking for any gleaning of new light because evidently they're not satisfied with was called "present truth".

• AlanF
    AlanF

Good one, Farkel!

AlanF

• VM44
    VM44

Good post Farkel.

Rutherford's qualities mentioned by Farkel appear subtely in the Watchtower's publications, but one has to be on the lookout for mention of them.

For instance, that Rutherford had an intimidating effect on some people at Bethel:

*** w86 3/1 pp. 23-24 Conforming to Jehovah?s Ways ***

As told by Arthur Worsley

Rutherford?A Tireless

On one of these visits, Brother Rutherford appeared very worried about something. After a while I got up the courage to ask if there was anything wrong and if I could do something to help. He made some remark about my not being able to help. But as we continued walking toward the garden, he said: "I have never seen it to fail yet. Whenever I?m working on an important matter, some trouble comes up, and right now I am working on one of the most important articles in years." I was really surprised that he even mentioned it to me, a relatively new one at Bethel.

That Rutherford was not accessible to people:

*** w55 11/1 p. 655 Pursuing My Purpose in Life ***

As told by Hazel O. Burford

In 1941, when working isolated territory in western Kentucky, we attended the zone (now circuit) assembly at Cape Girardeau, Missouri. While preparing the evening meal in the cafeteria I was called to answer a long-distance telephone call offering me the privilege of helping to nurse Brother Rutherford, then very ill in a hospital in Elkhart, Indiana. Shocked by news of his illness, overwhelmed by tremendous responsibility I would be expected to shoulder, my first reaction was to refuse; but, ever fearful of refusing an assignment for fear another would not be given, I prayerfully accepted. At once I left the assembly headquarters and made the necessary preparations for my new duties, upon which I entered thirty-six hours later when I entered the sick room of our stricken brother. A week later I was privileged to accompany Brother Rutherford and his party to California, where we lived in Beth-Sarim, the "House of the Princes," for the next eight weeks until his death January 8, 1942. Had I not been a pioneer that unusual and precious service would not have been mine, as all his associates and helpers were from ranks of full-time workers.

I still would like to know why most all the the people who knew Rutherford chose not to say anything, nor to write anything about him.

It is as if there was some invisible shield around the memory of "The Judge" that prevents those who knew him from speaking forth.

It could be people are trying to "protect" the Organization, or perhaps people think it best that the details of Rutherford's life are just "forgotten" over time.

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

I found using Google that AlanF posted here in 2001 about Arthur Worsley,

For example, there was one Arthur Worsley, who died in the early 1990s. Worsley was interviewed by a friend of mine shortly before his death concerning his recollection of the Rutherford years. Worsley had been called as a witness for Rutherford at the Moyle trial, and he testified that Rutherford was not a drunk and did not do any of the things that Moyle accused him of. The interviewer asked Worsley if his testimony had been true, and he admitted that it wasn't, and that all of Moyle's accusations were true. Why then, did he lie? He said that he had no place to go outside of Bethel, and so he lied in order to keep his position. Same goes for the other liars who testified for Rutherford.

These interviews NEED to be published!

--VM44

• Seven
    Seven

Excellent piece of work Farkel. Many thanks.

They were always looking for "new" light, which hopefully, would be better light than the existing crappy light.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    Russell had himself buried in a toga, and had a large pyramid built near his grave that proclaimed him to be the "Laodicean Messenger." This made him the recipient of being the SOLE recipient of fulfilling yet ANOTHER ancient Bible prophecy in Revelation 3:14-18

Where can I find out more about this history I have never heard of until today. Did I miss this Sunday meeting?

• VM44
    VM44

The story of Russell wearing a toga when he died is from a December 1916 issue of the Watchtower, reported by his secretary Menta Sturgeon.

http://www.agsconsulting.com/htdbnon/htdb0211.htm

REPARATIONS FOR DEATH

Toward morning he had me make a robe for convenience sake by pinning a sheet inside of a blanket, wrapping him in it like a robe and fastening it under his chin. He stood up on the floor for this purpose, and then lay down on the couch instead of returning to his berth. I therefore sat on his bed while he lay before me. After several hours his robe proved to be rather inconvenient, because the sheet and blanket could not be kept together. It was then that he stood again and said, "Please make me a Roman toga."

I did not understand what he meant, but did not like to have him repeat, because he was so weak. His voice had become so weak that he had to repeat nearly everything he said. I had said to him at several times, "Dear Brother Russell, I do not like to ask you to repeat anything (It had always been my custom to listen to him so closely in all his dictation as not to require any repetition); but your voice is so weak that one can scarcely hear you." He would always repeat until at last the repetition would do no good, after which he made signs. Finally the signs failed.

I said, "Brother Russell, I do not understand what you mean." He said, "I will show you." He had me take a clean sheet and turn it down twelve inches from the top; and then a second one the same. Placing his left hand on his right shoulder, he said, "Fasten them together here." Having in my pocket a paper of safety-pins which I had recently purchased, it was easy for me to hold the sheets together on his right shoulder and at the same time reach into my pocket and get a safety-pin. The sheets being fastened with the pin, as he had directed, he said, "Now fasten them together on the other shoulder." This I did. There he stood, one sheet extending from his neck to his feet in front and the other in the back, fastened together on his two shoulders, and folded together at the edges. He stood erect before me for a moment without saying a word, then lay down on the couch on his back, closed his eyes, and lay there before me as in a shroud, a perfect picture of death.

Pictures of Russell's gravesite are at the Watchtower Quotes site:

http://quotes.watchtower.ca/russell_grave.htm

Some pictues of the Pyramid monument are there as well.

--VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit