SCHIAVO

by SixofNine 48 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    There is NO parrallel between Germany in the 40's and Terry Shiavo.

The people in concentration camps were there against their will.

Just for the record, most of the over 300,000 people executed by the state under Germany's euthanasia programs were not in the concentration camps, they were dealt with in hospitals and medical 'killing' centres.

Hundreds of people each week are lovingly and rightly dispatched by their doctors with overdoses of morphine and other drugs to alieviate suffering the last few days or hours of a persons life. They may not advertise this, but they do it, and do it regularly at that.

The problem with the Shiavo case is that too many people are banging their own moral drum over this. The site of people bowing and praying outside the hospital where she is being kept, with their arms rsaised to heaven was truly sickening. These people care far more for their own agenda than they do for this poor woman. None of them seem to have asked themselves, what would Terry Schiavo want us to do.

HS

• JustTickledPink
  • Satanus
    Satanus

Let's not forget in whose state this just happens to be happening ... and the chances that he may run for pres in 2008 ... and who his brother is. Does your spidey sense tingle yet?

S

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

There is NO parallel between Germany in the 40's and Terry Shiavo.

I beg to differ, Germany didn't start outright killing the unfit just because they said so, they took baby steps first to condition the minds of the people that calling someone a brain damaged person who is obviously aware of her surroundings (if you had seen the videos of her like I have) who can communicate in her own way, although different than our own, she isn't entirely a "vegetable" as they would like you to believe.

Terry's life is still full of laughter and full of spirit, I hardly call her a vegetable. When she sees her parents, she smiles with joy that they are there seeing her. Which tells me she's still a human being and not a vegetable.

As I said, Germany took time to condition the minds that it is morally acceptable to "mercy" killing them because they are considered to be no longer productive in a civilized society. Which is what America is doing now. Baby steps, my friends.

The people in concentration camps were there against their will.

So is Terri. All they have is her husband's word. There is nothing is writing that Terri expressed her desire to die if she became what she is now. Basically she's is being put to death all because of "assumption", not on the basis of fact, such as a written word expressing her personal desire of what she wants, in which case, there is none. So when did society decided for us what it is that we want and what we don't want if we are unable to communicate it ourselves?

Terry told 3 people should wouldn't want to be hooked up to machines or tubes. Doctors keep stating this is a form of "life support" whether you are administering oxygen or food, it's still a tube put in during surgery to sustain the life you can't support on your own. I have stated I wouldn't want it, why can't everyone believe her husband and her 2 friends who remember she said she WOULDN'T WANT IT? It's about HER CHOICE, not ours.

A nurse testified that her husband wants her dead and often expressed "When is that bitch gonna die?", that tells me alot there. Plus Terri inherited a large sum of money from a settlement. So there's motive from the husband for wanting her dead. Now, tell me why didn't the husband mention her so call desires long before the monetary settlement took place??? There was none until after the fact. Which raises questions about his motive.

Having 3 people verbally say she doesn't want to be kept alive if she ever came to the condition that she is in. That's not sufficient enough means to have her killed. There was no written expression and signed by Terri that it is what she wants. So, in this case, a verbal word is far more important than what should be a written word by Terri herself. An assumption is more important than knowing what Terri really wants. Here lies the danger.

The doctor had an argument with my sister the morning before my mother died in Nov 28th, 1993, he argued about my mother's age (she was 67) and the blood transfusion that she was receiving was a waste of resource. When did a doctor decide (or when did doctors was given the right to decide) who lives and who dies? After the argument, my sister left, about a couple of hours later, my mother died. We'll never know for certain if the doctor actually allowed her to die or my mother died by natural causes. Which still leaves me in anger wondering what happened on that day.

The problem is, if Terri dies, this can pave the way for doctors to be given more rights, against the wishes of the patient, the parents or guardians, to pull the plug on those they personally deem "unfit" to live, or for economic reasons, if you have no insurance and cannot pay, they can pull the plug on you. The then Governor George Bush signed a bill in Texas allowing doctors to do just that if you have by no means to pay the medical bills long before he became President. His reason for signing a bill to save Terri held a double standard.

I am deaf and also I have no health insurance, if I were to have suffered an accident and upon discovery I have no means to pay the massive medical bill, should the doctor have the right to pull the plug on me? Or moreso, I want to live, no matter what state that I am in and yet have no written will expressing my desire to be kept alive, should the doctor have the right to assume I want to be dead and pull the plug on me? How about when I am old?

People are given more rights to decide my fate rather than my right to decide my own and that my friends is downright scary.

Yiz

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

What scares me the most, is that in years to come, the "Schiavo Case" will be used as a precedent, a benchmark in history, to rule against the helpless,the unwanted, the very old, etc. in society. The very ones that are leading us to believe that 'this is what Terri wanted' are the SAME group of Activists that want mothers to kill their unborn children in the womb if the 'fetus' - notice they never call it a BABY! - is not wanted by the women.

It is a slippery slope downward in society, and it all begins by de-humanizing a living being.

1. An unborn BABY is called a 'fetus', 'a blob of tissue', etc.

2. Terri was called a 'vegetable' in the newsmedia. They have de-humanized her, thereby saying it's ok to dehydrate her to death!

3. Points one and two are really not that different, just a little further down that slippery slope!

~~~~~~~~~~~

Right on Yiz!

NewLight2

• Valis
    Valis
    what 1982 movie was Sting's first role?

Dune?

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

DUNE was cool...

J

• Odrade
    Odrade

Nah, Dune was made in 1984

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

84 wasn't bad either... but 77 was better...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit