OK, Yet Another Thread About the Memorial *good grief*

by catchthis 10 Replies latest jw friends

• catchthis
    catchthis

Yes I know. There are umpteen threads about the memorial already. Why another one, right?

Did anyone else ever get a weird feeling as the emblems were passed? Even when I was a hardcore dub, I always had a strange feeling in my gut. Back then, I could never figure out why I felt this way. I knew that what we were doing was the correct way and that Christendom's way was dead wrong.

That feeling became even more pronounced as the emblems were passed between the MS's and elders at the end of the passing. I always thought to myself that they were handling the emblems more than anyone else so why was it necessary for them to sit back down in their seats in the front and have the emblems passed yet again? To make it appear more official? The clincher was the passing of the emblems to the speaker. That was always a hoot to watch. One of the brothers would one-step on the stage and hand the plate or glass to the speaker for a split second and then the speaker would hand it back immediately.

Looking back now, I think my 'weird' gut feeling was an embarassment of sorts. In most halls, new people or studies were in attendance. Many had never stepped into the hall before and did not know what to expect. For a dub though, the routine is the same each and every year. Maybe in the back of my mind I knew what we were doing was incorrect and I felt embarassed that these worldly people might have been thinking, "Good god. These people are weirdos."

So did anyone else ever get these strange gut feelings? Or was it just me? I've always wondered about this but never asked another witness.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I remember being at one meeting where the memorial was being planned. The emphasis was definitely on making sure the emblems were served to everyone, including the speaker. They spent quite a long time discussing it.

I guess they wanted to make sure everyone had the opportunity to reject them.

Walter

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I always get nervous that kids or one of the nutties will drop the wine glass.

DY

• glitter
    glitter

One of the brothers would one-step on the stage and hand the plate or glass to the speaker for a split second and then the speaker would hand it back immediately.

Yeah that's bizarre isn't it.

Looking back I always got a funny feeling in my gut too.

• catchthis
    catchthis
    I always get nervous that kids or one of the nutties will drop the wine glass.

That's funny, because I always thought if that were to happen, it would break the somber tone of the CELEBRATION. It might actually bring a few smiles to some faces.

• catchthis
    catchthis
    Looking back I always got a funny feeling in my gut too.

Thank goodness. I was hoping I wasn't the only one who felt that way.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

The emblems - it sounds so weird

Jws just can't get it about being made from dust

"This is my body which will be given up for you"

Has anyone heard someone say, "Here, have my sandwich" ?

• Scully
    Scully
    The emphasis was definitely on making sure the emblems were served to everyone, including the speaker.

Except for Sisters? who have been diagnosed with postpartum depression, and whom the Elders? want to drive to the edge of suicide.

The creepy thing is that it's exactly the same date, 11 years later, when that happened. I haven't attended a Memorial since then. Even when I *wanted* to attend after that, I'd start having a PTSD type reaction at the thought. It's improved over time, but I still have a pretty strong visceral response to the thought of going to the Memorial. I'll never go to one again.

Love, Scully

• love11
    love11

When I was little, I remember asking my mom- Why don't the elders just ask if there is any 144,000 in the congregation?

No... not anybody...no one... well, then... we don't need to have the memorial this year. hahahaha

It always seemed kind of eerie to me. I really wanted to drink the wine and eat the cracker! So... so bad!!!!

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i got 'passed over' (tijkmo) tonight when the emblems came round...i was sitting in the back row at one end with an elder at the other end of the row and no-one in between...emblem passer- nervous ms - came to our row and leaned over me to pass plate to elder....i looked at him as if to say...oi ive been reinstated for a year and a half...what does it take to be forgiven...but saw he was nervous and he was pointing to the lobby and decided not to make an issue....not so the prat elder....mutters away to himself and makes 'what an idiot' type gestures.....anyway as the wine came round i worked out what he was trying to do....he was passing the emblem to the furthest part of row to be passed back to me so i could hand it to him and he could easily move out to the foyer...as he got nearer with the wine i caught his eye and showed i understood what he was trying to do and he said thanx for working it out and then the elder said in a loud voice...make sure he doesnt miss you out this time....what a prat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit