bought an outfit for the memorial

by fairchild 19 Replies latest jw friends

• fairchild
    fairchild

Yes, that's right. I bought a new skirt and sweater to wear to the memorial tonight. Earlier, I saw a thread on here about 'irony', well, let me add this. I bought my skirt and sweater at a CHURCH sale this morning. There's this catholic church in the neighborhood here, and they hold a 'bag sale' every 4th Thursday of the month. Fill a bag with clothes for two dollars. Guess it's kind of ironic that I bought my outfit for the memorial at a catholic church.

This is my plan for tonight.. After doing some reading about the memorial thing, I am convinced that Jesus meant for ALL of us to 'do this as a remembrance of him'. So, NOT partaking would be very unchristian imho. Of course, I don't want to partake and sow a bunch of disarray at the KH. So, I've decided to put a piece of bread in my pocket. Right after I pass the bread to the person next to me (without partaking), I am going to sneak the bread out of my pocket and eat it. Nobody will notice and I will feel as if I have done the right thing. I'd celebrate Easter at a regular church, but I am on a double shift on Easter Sunday and no way of getting out of it, so this is the only solution I can think of.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I ultimately decided not to spend anymore money for just going and sitting there for 1 hour.

Perhaps for the 1-day assembly coming up I'll get me a brand new outfit, purse, shoes and all.

DY

• jula71
  • fairchild
    fairchild

DY, I understand. I said 'new', because it's new to ME, but the skirt is rather worn, haha. It feels like a sin to spend money on a skirt, because I always wear jeans and would never wear anything else, other than at the KH.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Me too.

alt

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Fairchild,

Your solution sounds reasonable - if it works for you. Just know that them there attendants bird-dog that dish being passed down the aisle... your 'sneaking' your bread may hafta become a 'magic act'.

(Nothing up my sleeve... Presto!)

Regards,

Jim TX

P.S. Please let us know how it goes.

• adelmaal
    adelmaal

fairchild:

So, I've decided to put a piece of bread in my pocket. Right after I pass the bread to the person next to me (without partaking), I am going to sneak the bread out of my pocket and eat it. Nobody will notice and I will feel as if I have done the right thing. I'd celebrate Easter at a regular church, but I am on a double shift on Easter Sunday and no way of getting out of it, so this is the only solution I can think of.

That sounds like a workable solution Probably not going to be able to wing it on the wine though...

I also found a neat little idea that families could do together as another nice alternative:

The following is a list of Bible Truths in Matthew 26:20-29; Mark 14:17-25; Luke 22:14-23, the story of the last supper.

1. Jesus gave thanks to God before eating a meal. Matthew 26:26.
    2. Jesus died so that the sins of mankind would be forgiven. Matthew 26:28.
    3. Followers of Jesus will celebrate with Jesus again in God's kingdom. Matthew 26:29.
    4. Jesus' death ratified a new covenant between God and his people. Luke 22:20.
    5. Jesus told his followers to eat bread together as a way to remember his death and what he did for them. Luke 22:19.

The following Background Information is helpful in understanding the story.

Jesus and his disciples reclined at the table during the meal (Luke 22:14), dipping their bread into the bowl (Mark 14:20). See Foods of the Bible for a discussion of eating customs.

The following activities can be used to teach the Bible story and truths.

Bible Story Activities.

Recreate the Last Supper. Use this activity to help the children understand what should be remembered when the Lord's Supper is celebrated.
    Prepare a snack of unleavened bread and grape juice. Spread a blanket on the floor and invite the children to recline around the blanket and join you in remembering what Jesus did for us.
    Read the Punishment Sharing Agreement and ask if anyone wants to sign up. Explain that Jesus took the punishment for all of our sins when he died on the cross.
    Read Luke 22:14-19. Pass around the unleavened bread and discuss the following.
    When we celebrate the Lord's Supper, we should think about Jesus dying on the cross. Remember that he died on the cross only after he was flogged with a whip (Matthew 27:26), made to wear a crown of thorns (Matthew 27:29), spit on (Matthew 27:30) and beaten with a wooden cane (Matthew 27:30).
    Jesus died on the cross voluntarily.
    Jesus died on the cross so that our sins would be forgiven.
    Read Luke 22:20. Pass around the grape juice and discuss the following.
    Jesus' death ratified a new covenant God made with his people.
    In this new covenant God promises to forgive our sins and give us eternal life. All we have to do is turn from sin to Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. (Romans 10:9; Hebrews 8-10).
    When we celebrate the Lord's Supper, we should remember to thank Jesus for the gift of eternal life that he made available to us when he died on the cross.
    Only those who turn to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior should participate in the Lord's Supper since the Lord's Supper is celebrated in memory of what Jesus did for us. A person who has not trusted Jesus as Lord and Savior has nothing to remember.
  • fairchild
    fairchild
    Your solution sounds reasonable - if it works for you. Just know that them there attendants bird-dog that dish being passed down the aisle... your 'sneaking' your bread may hafta become a 'magic act'.

AHA!! Did you know that I ended my 10 year full time career as a juggler/magician, because the JW's were against the fact that I performed magic shows? So, don't you worry, I have many years of practice with 'sleight of hand'. I'll let you know how it went.

• fairchild
    fairchild
    Probably not going to be able to wing it on the wine though...

I thought of that too, but couldn't come up with a solution. A praline filled with liquor would have been nice, but I couldn't find one. Will do some more thinking on that, I still have a few hours before leaving. Could dip the bread in some wine at home..

• adelmaal
    adelmaal
    Could dip the bread in some wine at home..

How clever you are!

If

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit