Novels set in Canada

by Crumpet 18 Replies latest jw friends

• scotsman
    scotsman

Robertson Davies - The Deptford Trilogy, The Cornish Trilogy, The Salterton Trilogy. Really rich novels that lead me to all sorts of other books.

Alistair McLeod - No Great Mishief. Scottish/Canadian novel that's a bit sentimental in its view of Scotland but a pretty pleasurable read.

Mordechai Richler - Solomon Gursky. I know I really enjoyed this and other of his books, but for the life of me can't remember why!

Margaret Atwood - anything.

And how about watching some Atom Egoyan films.

Enjoy your trip.

• talesin
    talesin

A couple of really good adventure novels about the Klondike, Jack London`s, White Fang and Call of the Wild.

t

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

"Fifth Buisness" by Robertson Davis is the best Canadian novel I've ever read. It's a must.

GBL

• Jez
    Jez

Alistar MacLeod: The Lost Salt Gift of Blood Very much romantizes the Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, PEI) I really enjoyed this read because it dives into how saturated the area is with history.

Alice Munro: The Progress of Love A series of short stories. The last one, "White Dump" is great. I did an essay on it once. Very symbolic and all about temptation within marriage. This book highlights memories and how they are falliable, how unsure we are of how love works. There is a layered effect to the stories, so don't know if you like that kind of reading or not. I loved how this book shows that memories change to hide knowledge, skew events and to what purpose that is done. How memory sustains ones idea of relationships, love etc. Not WHAT happens, but HOW it happens.

If you like poems: The Dominion of Love "An anthology of Canadian Poems". Edited by Tom Wayman.

Those are the only ones that I enjoyed out of the many that I was forced to read.

Jez

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Now thats more like it folks!

Thanks for all the suggestions - I got some book tokens for my birthday so I will invest them in some of your suggestions. I'm going to look them all up on Amazon and see which suit my reading tastes now that I have so many to choose from!

Thanks Talesin and Snowcanuck (welcome to the board by the way!) for your mutual Hugh MacLennan suggestions. Talesin, I have read Fall On Your Knees and all of the Anne of Green Gables Series, but somehow forgot they were set around Canada. Both rate amongst my top 20 ever reads! As for Farley Mowat - I've never come across his name. I think Whale for the Killingmay be more my thing as I don;t usually read non fiction, at least not for leisure - although I am intrigued now that you say it will make me cry so I might get this one!

Scotsman - I actually got given No Great Mischeif by Alistair MacLeod by my boyfriends mum about two years ago so I am definitely going to read it now.

Walter - thanks for the invite for a meet up but my boyfriend has been a bit unhappy about me making any plans to meet people from the boards so I'm holding off until he feels a bit more chilled about it.

Fe203girl - Of course Margaret Atwood - how could I forget. I've read quite a few of hers but not some of the older stuff like the Handmaids Tail - although not sure if that is actualy set in Canada or not.

Peppermint - that link is brilliant - thank you.

I saw two mentions of Robertson Davies but I can't remember by whom now so I will look him up.

Jez - what are Atom Egoyan films? Is he a director? I've often been tempted to Alice Munro by other recommendations but am put off by them being short stories.

Anyway - really appreciated your very literate suggestions guys. Thank you!

• scotsman
    scotsman

Atom Egoyan's a director. I love Exotica and The Sweethereafter, and although Felicia's Journey has JW moment, it's not so hot. Exotica is sultry and pensive, while The Sweethereafter is completely tragic.

Have fun.

• Jez
    Jez
    Alice Munro by other recommendations but am put off by them being short stories.

Remember that often with literary short stories, they are read, and reread, and then read again because everytime you read them, more and more meaning is understood. Sometimes, the more you read, the more you see. That is often the point of short stories.

I love them because the authors find a way to cram an entire lifetime or an entire event, into as few poignant words as possible. The readers job is to decifer and 'stretch' out the words. Brilliant how they can do it!!!

Jez

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Jez

I'm not saying I dislike the form of the short story writing - I regard it very highly and enjoyed studying these for my English Lit exams, but I like to get my teeth into something long and tasty generally. However so much has been said about Alice Munro I feel I ought to have a read. Thanks for the push to do so!

Nina

• talesin
    talesin

Hi!

A mess-up on the nonfiction Mowat -- it is "Sea of Slaughter" -- sorry. Grey Seas Under is another novel, but a different one.

PS, note, Munro has novels, too.

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit