Novels set in Canada

by Crumpet 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I am going to Canada in May for a holiday and want to take some books to read. I really like to read fiction that is set in the place I'm visiting and I'd also be quite keen to start getting in the mood before I go. So I was wondering if there are keen readers out there who could point me in the direction of any great Canadian novels - particularly anything set around the great lakes - Superior, Hudson, Ontario,Michigan, Erie....Any suggestions very welcome!

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

You bunch of illiterates! Maybe if I said Great AMERICAN Novel there would be more replies! LOL!

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Oi matey....I was looking about for your request....there was one that i had read some time ago set in Canada but couldnt remember the name of it to save me life.

DB

• snowcanuck
    snowcanuck

Crumpet,

As an American who's lived in Canada most of her life I can hopefully help you in the area of Canadian novels since I just finished an advanced English class here in Ontario. I was forced to read 'Two Solitudes' by Hugh MacLennan which paints a splintered Canada during wartime between the French and the English. It wasn't that bad to read at all. I also enjoyed reading Canadian author John Steinbeck's 'The Pearl'.....also a good read..hope this helps a little ;)

• Mulan
    Mulan

I read a Phyllis Whitney book a few years ago that was set in Victoria. That's the only one I can think of. Can't remember the title, but it was New Agey, with crystals and such. A good read.

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

Crumpet, A link for you.

http://nancykeane.com/rl/303.htm

• the_classicist
  • iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    You bunch of illiterates!

Uh oh. You must mean me.

I've lived in Toronto all my life, but I can't think of a single novel that is set here. But lately I read mostly technical stuff.

If you're passing through Toronto maybe a bunch of us ex-dubs should meet up for some 's or 's.

We may be illiterate but we know how to party. (oops)

Walter

• talesin
    talesin

3 of my favorites

Barometer Rising by Hugh MacLennan

- an historical fiction set against the backdrop of the Halifax Explosion

(this book is about my home town, and is a Canadian classic, has its own website)

Fall On Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald

- a novel which begins in rural Cape Breton, and moves to NYC, it is a story of four sisters, betrayal and family secrets abound

(an Oprah book club selection, read more about it on her website)

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

- does this book need an explanation? Just after the turn of the century, an orphan is adopted and sent on the train to rural PEI, where she begins a new life, as "Anne with an E." A legend ensues. There is a whole series, though, if you're interested. ;)

Also, I love previously mentioned Farley Mowat; my favorite book by him would be A Whale for the Killing, a fiction set in Newfoundland. I guarantee that if you read this book, you will not be disappointed.

If you are interested in the environment, another Mowat book I recommend is Grey Seas Under, which is the nonfictional account of how we have raped the North Atlantic. An early precautionary book, it predicted the collaps of the groundfishery decades before it actually happened. Caution: This book may make you cry.

talesin

*constant reader* class

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Most of Margaret Atwood's novels are set in Canada, usually the Toronto area, and are excellent reads in any case.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit